• OK - I’m a newbie and just got my ass kicked by the Axis (please don’t laugh) tonight. I was UK and the US and Russian players had both NEVER played before.

Anyway - I’m wondering if anyone has any “strategies” for when to go for the special weapons development. True that its based on the dice, but does anyone have a system for when they go for it?

• If the war is tipping out of your favor, this is the time to take necessary risks such as chancier battles and weapons rolls. Hopefully, delaying tactics will lead to technology you can turn the war around with.
    If your winning the war, there’s really little point in spending the IPC’s. Heavy bombers will speed up the war, but you may have won already by the time you get them…

• Roll when the dice are rolling sixes

• Roll when you have some extra money and don’t really need that extra tank or two inf. Roll when you are Japan and your income is through the roof. Roll one or two dice a turn when you are UK (and can afford it)and have been using the “Bomb the Hell out of Germany” strategy. And yes, roll when you feel like it.

• If you can see your ineviable defeat a few rounds in advance, and there is nothing you see that you can do about it, start rolling.

• The only really good weapons developments, in my opinion is long range aircraft, Heavy bombers, and the industry one. I usually roll when Im bored, and have lots of money

• super subs is good too. And British or german rockets can really be annoying as well.

• Never roll for Russia or Germany.

Roll for Japan and the US. Rarely roll for UK unless her income is extraordinarily high, or defeat is certain unless the Holy Heavy Bombers appear :smile:

Once Japan hits 40 or so, a decision needs to be made. Is a conventional win possible? If not, start rolling with all funds above 30. 10 Inf and a 2/3 rolls per round is good. The key is knowing when to roll. You need to figure this out at least 3-4 turns before Germany falls. If things are grim then tech hard, 6 dice per round. Alternatively, a number of players will buy bombers with any cash above 30 until they have 3-4 bombers and then tech hard with 6 dice per round. This allows for the potential immediate LR HB game turner….because you already have the bombers on the board.

The decision for the US should include consideration on whether any Jap mainland ICs exist. If not, you are likely better off with the schuck-schuck of more infantry/armour. In any case, US teching is more often in response to successful Jap tech than anything else. Never tech with the Allies in the first few turns. You need the naval infrastructure first.

Hope that helps.

SUD

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m