• After reading Don’s essays I created a simple battle plan for the axis. I was wondering if I could get any suggestions on how to improve it.

The Grand Axis Strategy
    An Advanced Strategy for use against an conservative Russia
    Turn 1
    Germany

1. Buy 1 bomber and 5 infantry
    2. Move all African Forces South 1 territory
    3. Attack Battleship in Mediterranean Sea with sub and one fighter
    4. Attack Main British fleet with remaining air force and Baltic fleet
    5. Land a Fighter in Lybia
    6. Strafe Caccausas
    7. Retreat from E. Europe
      Japan
    8. Buy 3 transports
    9. Take E. China with all available fighters and Infantry except one infantry in Manchuria and one in Burma
    10. Attack Pearl Harbour with Japan Battleship, Japan Fighter, Carrier Fighter, Bomber and Submarine. Kill Sub and Battleship
    11. Load 3 Infantry on to 2 Transports and Move them to Solomon Island, Move Battleship and Carrier to Solomon Islands
    12. Land Fighters in Kwanatung and Carrier, Land Bomber at Solomon Islands
      Turn 2
      Germany
    13. Buy all Infantry
    14. Take E. Europe
    15. Do what you can with Air Force(preferable attack a fleet) but Land them in W. Africa
    16. Attack Egypt with fighter and African troops
      Japan
    17. Buy 1 Transport and Infantry (Save three IPC)
    18. Attack Manchuria or Soviet Far East w/ bomber from Solomon Islands
    19. Claim Argentina
    20. Land Fighters in Manchuria
      Turn 3
      Germany
    21. Buy all Infantry
    22. Strafe Kerelia
    23. Attack Any Fleet (American preferably)
      Japan
    24. Buy 1 Transport and Infantry or Factory in Manchuria(If no British/American factory was built) and Infantry
    25. Attack Yakut (and possibly Soviet Far East)
    26. Attack Either South Africa or Brazil or Both
    27. Land Fighters in Manchuria
      Turn 4
      Germany
    28. Build a Fleet and Infantry (3 Aircraft carriers with fighters)
    29. Strafe Kerilia
      Japan
    30. Buy 1 Factory and Infantry or 3 Tanks and Infantry (South Africa preferably or Brazil
    31. Strafe China
      Rest of the Game
      Germany
    32. Hold on to E. Europe, France, Italy and Germany with Infantry until Japan threatens the Russian capital
    33. Have 3 Aircraft Carriers w/6 fighters in British waters
      Japan
    34. If no Sinkiang/India factory take over Sinkiang on turn 5 and India on Turn 6. If one factory was built take over other territory on turn 6 and factory on turn 8. If two factories were built take over Sinkiang on Turn 7 and India on Turn 8.
    35. Have Brazil/South Africa Factory build submarines and move them to north sea or US coast. When there is no need for submarines begin to build tanks and advance to mexico.
    36. Get into striking distance of Moscow then wait for Germany to get in position
    37. If E. Europe, Italy, Germany or France falls take Moscow

• Any strategy that talks about what to do on turn 5 is a bit suspect to me. Talking about building bombers on turn 1 for Germany and 3 aircraft carriers for germany on turn 5? Ummmmm, I am not sure what to say, is glue cheap where you live?

BB

• '19 Moderator

LOL!!

• I like the thought of Japan taking Brazil through Argentina.

Germany building a fleet? IMO it would cost too many inf on the russian front.

• Germany MUST ABSOLUTELY BUY INFANTRY the first round. Nothing else. With first strike Russia, Germany has no choice but to begin the defense. Infantry is cheap! Build a wall of infantry on the East and prepare for amphibious invasion while protecting your transport by Africa. Load up on IPCs by taking Africa. Hold Finland by placing at least two fighters there. Take Kamelia ASAP but with only enough power to take not occupy, do this only if playing “scorched earth” rules. Burn factory and AA guns. By doing so keeps Russians from loading infantry from factory.

• I simply must disagree. It can pay Germany to buy some armor early, while it has the economic power to do so. Mostly infantry yes, but I can’t agree with infantry only or else.

• I think Germany should always buy 1 ARM whenever they have 2 IPC left over after buying all infantry or if you really think you are attacking big time next round then perhaps buy more than 1 ARM.

BB

• :-? How on earth (and Mars to, I suppose) are you supossed to buy 3 carriers, 6 fighters and some infantry IN_ONE_TURN!?!?

It costs 129 IPCs at the LEAST

other than that, It does not make much sense. Not attackRussia??

• The German Fleet is build up over time in the Mediterran. When Japanese subs start coming from Brazil or South America, the German fleet comes out of hiding

• '19 Moderator

I agree with BB on the buys for Germany. When ever I have 2 IPC left I “upgrade” one of my Inf to an Armor.

As for a german fleet I make it a personal rule never to play Japan when the German player likes naval battles. ;)

• Haven’t you heard about the new
    rule variation sweeping the world?

The Nazikazi Rule Variation -
    On Round 4(specifically, G4 and J4), at no IPC cost,
    Germany and/or Japan may click his/her/their heels together 3x,
    hold his/her/their left nostril(s) closed
    using his/her/their right thumbnail
    with the back of his/her/their right hand
    resting on his/her/their forehead,
    and sprinkle magic pixie dust
    (doggie doo will suffice)
    over his/her/their opponent(s)
    (NOT the gamepieces.)
    Upon completion of the above …
    if still alive, conscious and able to
    continue the game …
    the German and/or Japan player
    may chose to place either
    3 carriers with six ftrs in one appropriate sz or
    3 ICs with 3 ftrs apiece in 3 separate appropriate territories.

Note : The current argument is whether to amend the N rule
    to allow a player to choose 2 carriers(etc.) and 1 IC(etc.)
    or 1 carrier(etc.) and 2 ICs(etc.)!

• '19 Moderator

This sounds Like VooDoo I like it!

Note to self: before next game get ziplok baggies and stop in the back yard for magic pixie turds.

• Yes i have heard of it :wink:
    Wouldn’t the “Nazikazi Version” belong in the house rules forum?

The Nazikazi Rule Variation -
    On Round 4(specifically, G4 and J4), at no IPC cost,
    Germany and/or Japan may click his/her/their heels together 3x,
    hold his/her/their left nostril(s) closed
    using his/her/their right thumbnail
    with the back of his/her/their right hand
    resting on his/her/their forehead,
    and sprinkle magic pixie dust
    (doggie doo will suffice)
    over his/her/their opponent(s)
    (NOT the gamepieces.)
    Upon completion of the above …
    if still alive, conscious and able to
    continue the game …
    the German and/or Japan player
    may chose to place either
    3 carriers with six ftrs in one appropriate sz or
    3 ICs with 3 ftrs apiece in 3 separate appropriate territories.

Note : The current argument is whether to amend the N rule
    to allow a player to choose 2 carriers(etc.) and 1 IC(etc.)
    or 1 carrier(etc.) and 2 ICs(etc.)!

Have you ever actually played this variation, Xi?

• BB makes a good general point in response to my complaint abut absolutes – if you have the ability to get a little heftier unit or save some money you can’t spend until next turn, it’s a good idea to upgrade.

Sometimes if I buy some other units and have ten IPCs left, it becomes 2 tanks instead of 3 infantry and one IPC worth of savings – but only if I’m on the offensive end of things or have plenty of spare defensive units for a while.

I’d hate to have two two-pointers instead of three two-pointers on defense, but two three-pointers instead of three one-pointers seems like a good deal in my next attack.

• Thanks for your help. Perhaps now I won’t build a german fleet and just use Japanese subs from Brazil/South Africa

• '19 Moderator

@mjcarney2:

Turn 1
    Germany

1. Buy 1 bomber and 5 infantry

Why the Bomber?
    @mjcarney2:

1. Move all African Forces South 1 territory
    2. Attack Battleship in Mediterranean Sea with sub and one fighter
    3. Attack Main British fleet with remaining air force and Baltic fleet
    4. Land a Fighter in Lybia

If youland a fighter in Lybia and move the troops south it will be a dead fighter on UKs turn.
    @mjcarney2:

1. Strafe Caccausas
    2. Retreat from E. Europe

These two actions can’t be doen in the same turn. Look at your map again.
    @mjcarney2:

Japan

1. Buy 3 transports
    2. Take E. China with all available fighters and Infantry except one infantry in Manchuria and one in Burma
    3. Attack Pearl Harbour with Japan Battleship, Japan Fighter, Carrier Fighter, Bomber and Submarine. Kill Sub and Battleship

Use the Phillippine Fighter it can’t be used any where else and the Jap fighter can be used in China
    @mjcarney2:

1. Load 3 Infantry on to 2 Transports and Move them to Solomon Island, Move Battleship and Carrier to Solomon Islands

Ships have to remain in the combat sz unless you think you can pull out before you kill the Fighter. If that is your plan good luck.
    @mjcarney2:

1. Land Fighters in Kwanatung and Carrier, Land Bomber at Solomon Islands
      Turn 2
      Germany
    2. Buy all Infantry
    3. Take E. Europe
    4. Do what you can with Air Force(preferable attack a fleet) but Land them in W. Africa

If you leave your airforce undefended in WAF the US will attack them. They probably won’t take the territory but every hit will be a plane.
    @mjcarney2:

1. Attack Egypt with fighter and African troops

Already covered this in turn one.
    @mjcarney2:

Japan

1. Buy 1 Transport and Infantry (Save three IPC)
    2. Attack Manchuria or Soviet Far East w/ bomber from Solomon Islands
    3. Claim Argentina
    4. Land Fighters in Manchuria
      Turn 3
      Germany
    5. Buy all Infantry
    6. Strafe Kerelia

With Japan putting little pressure on Russia Strafes work both ways. Germany is weakinging them selves by fighting a two front war. Read some history. :)
    @mjcarney2:

1. Attack Any Fleet (American preferably)
      Japan
    2. Buy 1 Transport and Infantry or Factory in Manchuria(If no British/American factory was built) and Infantry
    3. Attack Yakut (and possibly Soviet Far East)
    4. Attack Either South Africa or Brazil or Both
    5. Land Fighters in Manchuria

You are depending on a german Air force that was probably already shot down or attacked and killed.

You are not putting near enough pressure on Russia. You should have Sinkiang on turn two. as well as India, Soviet Far East and possiply Yakut.

Any thing after turn 3 should be general guidelines, such as “try to be on the border of Moscow by turn 4.”

@mjcarney2:

Turn 4
    Germany

1. Build a Fleet and Infantry (3 Aircraft carriers with fighters)
    2. Strafe Kerilia
      Japan
    3. Buy 1 Factory and Infantry or 3 Tanks and Infantry (South Africa preferably or Brazil
    4. Strafe China
      Rest of the Game
      Germany
    5. Hold on to E. Europe, France, Italy and Germany with Infantry until Japan threatens the Russian capital
    6. Have 3 Aircraft Carriers w/6 fighters in British waters
      Japan
    7. If no Sinkiang/India factory take over Sinkiang on turn 5 and India on Turn 6. If one factory was built take over other territory on turn 6 and factory on turn 8. If two factories were built take over Sinkiang on Turn 7 and India on Turn 8.
    8. Have Brazil/South Africa Factory build submarines and move them to north sea or US coast. When there is no need for submarines begin to build tanks and advance to mexico.
    9. Get into striking distance of Moscow then wait for Germany to get in position
    10. If E. Europe, Italy, Germany or France falls take Moscow

The rest of this is based on wild speculation and the nessesity that your opponent rides the short bus. Try again please, if you must. :D

• Dezrtfish,
    @mjcarney2(abridged):

Turn 1-Japan
    [PURCHASE] Buy 3 transports
    3) Attack Pearl Harbour with Japan Battleship, Japan Fighter, Carrier Fighter, Bomber and Submarine. Kill Sub and Battleship

@dezrtfish:

Use the Phillippine Fighter it can’t be used any where else and the Jap fighter can be used in China.

@mjcarney2:

1. Load 3 Infantry on to 2 Transports and Move them to Solomon Island, Move Battleship and Carrier to Solomon Islands.

It appears mj will keep the Car sz CV and BB out of the Haw sz battle for the move to the Sol sz to land the 2 ftrs identified on the CV there.

Maybe I’m wrong. Whatever the plan…I would not do it as it takes the pressure off USSR(unless you are playing a “US First” rules variation!)
    :P

• Dammit! Got bumped again. Think I’ll change my ID here to “Bumped.”

That was me on the last guest post. Think I’ll start claiming all the good and great guest posts as mine(oh, yeah, sure! Like they’ll believe that!!)

El Jefe

• El Jefe is right, that was the plan.

I know it takes the prssure of USSR but it puts persuure on USA

• It is never neccesary to retreat from Eastern Europe in turn 1. Keep Russia honest by moving all available infantry into the zone, all available tanks, a minimum of 3 fighters, and most importantly, your AA gun from Southern Europe. Defend Western Europe accordingly. Usually 3 infrantry, a fighter, and your bomber will always do the job. The bomber in “Western” is always essential to detour the US from developing straight trasports, as opposed to a capital ship in the first year. No Allied bomber is in range for a SBR on Southern Europe until turn 2, and only then from Africa, or a suspect stronghold in the Caucasus. Always keep the threat of blitzkrieg and never retreat from a withering Russia in the early years.

Thus the army is established by deceit, moves for advantage, and changes through segmenting and reuniting. -Sun Tzu

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m