• IF US is not at war with JP it can’t send units to Australia…

• Incorrect game play seems to be a common problem with the few ‘winning’ allied strategies that get posted. Poor Japanese play and rare situational exploitations cover the rest.

• There is nothing in the OP to suggest incorrect play. He says by round four there are 8 bombers in Queensland. He does not say what round Japan declares war. Both of these are entirely possible within the rules of the game. It’s only one round to fly from Western US to Queensland. It doesn’t take poor Japanese play for the allies to win.

• In the one game I played against a friend, I went heavy navy with US, coupled with Anzac fighters and naval supplements it was just a matter of time to kill the Jap fleet.  Problem was my friend wasn’t keeping up in the ship building arms race.  Thats the key to Japan in this game, be able to attack on all fronts and all theaters of war, you have to continually build land, air, and naval units to keep up and win.  I think most Japan players get too devoted to putting all their cash into taking Asia and DEI.  Great idea for cash and taking out some opponents but you are probably giving ground elsewhere.  Convoy raiding works both ways and can do some reverse “bleeding dry” of the Allies.  Countering air force and naval force movements is key, even feinting moves to get your enemies to buy units that will delay them another turn is a great idea.  I know everyone doesn’t have several free days to play a single game but when AAE40 version comes out, tactical delays will pay off.  Making the game last longer in your favor never hurts cause it is an economic game after all.

• If the game lasts beyond a few turns (say, 4-5 turns after the declaration of war), Japan has probably lost.

A lot of the winning US strategies posted take a long time to implement. They only work against a slow Japanese player.
    Japan should be cleaning up in Asia and UK down to 5-8 IPC’s per turn, with India living on borrowed time.

USA has to get into the game FAST. THis means an unassailable fleet that rules the Pacific. Hawaii sea zone occupied and reinforced ASAP (assuming Japan goes after UK first)

Assuming a J1 attack, US builds should be:
    US1: CV
    US2: DDs/Subs (~equal numbers of both)
    US3:DDs/Subs/2-3 Transports (plus enough ground units to carry)
    US4:DDs/Subs (+ additional Transports/ground troops as needed) <–- repeat for rest of game.

There are tactical considerations. If US needs to build additional fighters to send to ANZAC (because ANZAC has correctly reinforced India with all their own fighters) then by all means build extra fighters. If USA has the time to reinforce India with fighters then do so. If Japan stops crushing China to build up its fleet then by all means build a 3rd CV.

If US reaches a point where they can afford such luxury builds as CA’s or loaded carriers the momentum has turned. As soon as US starts to implement island hopping strategy without fear of the IJN the game is over IMHO.

• I agree with you on US plans taking several turns to be implemented, just throwing another viewpoint out there.  Just really wondering if anyone playing Japan has ever considered sending a sizeable invasion force to knock out Anzac and stop the fighter pipeline while keeping solid pressure up on UK and China.  If Allied airforce is tipping the game in their favor why not take out one of the powers and stop the reinforcement?

• @Gwlachmai:

There is nothing in the OP to suggest incorrect play. He says by round four there are 8 bombers in Queensland. He does not say what round Japan declares war. Both of these are entirely possible within the rules of the game. It’s only one round to fly from Western US to Queensland. It doesn’t take poor Japanese play for the allies to win.

I don’t contend the bomber numbers, but was responding to his stunning example of their use.

Watching a hoard of bombers accumulate without doing anything about them seems to fall under “poor Japanese strategy.” Since he only got hit by it twice, hopefully by now Gravy has figured out the counter.

@Gwlachmai:

It doesn’t take poor Japanese play for the allies to win.

True that, bad dice runs can be a killer. Just wish more people would be like Gravy and post those strategies rather  than just saying they exist.

• Just wish more people would be like Gravy and post those strategies rather  than just saying they exist.

Given the variety of openings in this game it’s pretty hard to post any concrete strategies that dont get replied to with ‘Nuh-uh, my fleet would have killed yours, my army would have occupied your capital, and I would have a colony on the moon before you can stop me’. ;)

The variety is great for playing the game (it feels FAR less scripted than most A&A) but it makes it harder for meaningful strategy discussions IMO.

• As the Japanese player, I usually attack in round 2.  So yes by end of round 4, the US player (my buddy) always has at least 8 bombers in Queensland.  However, I did win our last game against his bomber strat…close game that could have went either way.  I just kept my carriers consolidated together so his bombers took some big losses.

Just when I moved all my forces into Burma I threatened Australia with a big fleet, he used what bombers he had left to hit my fleet instead of Burma…India then fell and game swung my way after that.

As Japan I always kept my carriers around Islands so my carriers took all the hits while still being able to land my planes. Huge importance in this game.  I was also getting some great dice rolls.

But…I still think that bombers should be 14 ipc’s instead of 12.  JMHO

• sorry. should point out that he has at least 7 bombers by end of round 4 unless I attack J1, then he has 8.  I might just try and put alot of pressure on Hawaii in our next game…force him to have to buy more ships off the start instead of the 2 bombers.

Or I will have to try an amphibious assault on Queensland.  Not easy considering he has all the ANZAC fighters and infantry on their.  But doing that takes away from capturing the DEI…I usually fall back and take the DEI, thats where the money is.  Taking AUST doesn’t reward the Japanese player economically!!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m