• Is Dutch New Guinea/New Guinea an island or not?  By definition it is not, because it is not in a single sea zone surrounded by water, whereas each is in its own sea zone but not completely surrounded by water do to the connection to each other.  An island definition was cleared up some in the errata by stating the above definition and mentioned that Japan is a exception and Australia is not considered an island but failed to mention New Guinea’s status.  This does not effect industrial complexes because you can’t build on them anyways because there is no IPC value in either, however, it does effect the scrambling aircraft if you build an airbase.  So the dilemma is, can we scramble aircraft because it’s an island or we can’t scramble because it’s not an island.

• An Island is any territory completely surrounded by one sea zone. In AAP40, New Guinea is not an island

In reality, new guinea is an island, obviuolsy, but like australia it is too large geographicly to only have one seazone containing it.

Therefore fighters scrambleing have A LOT more distance to cover, rather than the immidiate airspace around an area such as, wake, on new guinea they would have exponentioaly more area to cover when patroling

it is assumed japan has enough airbases located about the island(s) that fighters can scrable to cover this large land mass, which is why it is an island by the games definition, it is also an island to give japan an advantage over the allies, and a bonus in its home sea zone

• Is there any official answer to this? After all New Guinea is an island in real life and i think it should be in the FAQ if this would have changed for the game. For example Australia is specifically mentioned, while nothing is said about New Guinea. What do you think?

• Official Q&A

New Guinea is not an island.

• As the original poster of this topic I just wated to respond to ascendancy’s What do you think?  He brought home my original point exactly.  It’s obvious by definition that New Guinea is not an island but then you question it because someone has taking the time to point out that Australia is not, when that is even more obvious than New Guinea.  It should be mentioned along side of Australla as to it status in this world of AAP40.

• Official Q&A

@GrayBlaZe:

It’s obvious by definition that New Guinea is not an island but then you question it because someone has taking the time to point out that Australia is not, when that is even more obvious than New Guinea.  It should be mentioned along side of Australla as to it status in this world of AAP40.

I assume you’re talking about the mention in the FAQ here.  The reason that it’s specifically mentioned in the errata that Australia is not an island is that the rule that’s being corrected implies that it is an island.  The remark merely clarifies the reason for the correction.

• Ok, thanx Krieghund…… I really wasn’t sure where I read it, it just confused me.  I understand now why one was mentioned without other.  Thanx again…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m