• 1.  As soon as I get internet up, Imma challenge saburo sakai!  meh heh heh heh.  Right now, I’m at work, so I can’t really download executables.  Oh wellz.  You down for that SS?

Yeah, but only if you’re willing to play at AAMC or FOE.  I really don’t like the PBF format.

SS

• @Jennifer:

Suicidal is a good word for it, but that game was already lost at that point, it was a hail mary attempt to knock the wind out of the allies for a turn so I could recover slightly.

Game 3497 Flames of Europe, I’m not trying anything radical.  Well, other then a 1 turn 100% armor build for Germany in Germany 5.  It’s my AAMC Tournament game. (their dicey doesnt play nice with IE 7.0 or Firefox.  Crashes a lot.)

If you can beat Atlantikwall in that game, kudos to you.  He’s one of the best AAR players anywhere.

SS

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Dunno if I can beat him or not.  I got unlucky on the draw when I got him.  However, I’m currently in a strong position with both Germany and Japan and I think I have a good chance of winning.  At the least, I am in a position to force England and Russia to retreat to Moscow with America just starting to reclaim British Africa in Round 6.

But then again, it is only round 6.  There’s a lot that can happen between then and now.  But I think I’ll be playing you in the tourney soon enough, bwuhahahahah!

• Well, I won’t comment on a Tournament game while it is underway, but I think you’re still quite a long way from forcing England and Russia to retreat to Moscow.

SS

• 2007 AAR League

@froodster:

Gotta say, if Germany/Japan is everyone’s favourite, why does the Axis get a bid?

Anyone have any clue how many games are won/lost by the Axis? On this board at least?

Just checked the league results and the Spring Tourney results. They are as follows:

Spring Tourney Round 1: Axis 9 wins vs. Allies 7 wins
    Spring Tourney Round 2: Axis 5 wins vs. Allies 3 wins
    2007 League to date: Axis 4 wins vs. Allies 5 wins

Overall: Axis 18 wins vs. Allies 15 wins

It seems pretty competitive on this board.  Hence the bid?

• @rjclayton:

Just checked the league results and the Spring Tourney results. They are as follows:

Spring Tourney Round 1: Axis 9 wins vs. Allies 7 wins
    Spring Tourney Round 2: Axis 5 wins vs. Allies 3 wins
    2007 League to date: Axis 4 wins vs. Allies 5 wins

Overall: Axis 18 wins vs. Allies 15 wins

It seems pretty competitive on this board.  Hence the bid?

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

(puts wings behind back and starts to pace back and forth while smoking mysterious pipe)

“Well, class!  Let us first consider the possibility that 60% of games end in Allied wins and 40% in Axis wins.  Then what could cause the discrepancy in the reported results?  Well, there are a number of answers.  The first that will probably come to mind is that any given set of examples may contain some deviation from the average expected results.  The second is that possibly, games that end in Axis wins are finished more quickly than games that end in Allied wins, and so the results for the Axis wins are reported more swiftly than the Allied wins, so it appears at this point, before all results are in, that the Axis have a stastical advantage, even though they actually may not.”

What bid is the Spring Tourney and league using, rjclayton?

• 2007 AAR League

@newpaintbrush:

What bid is the Spring Tourney and league using, rjclayton?

I believe all participants in both competitions are using blind bid, LHTR 1.3, no NA.

Darth has compiled the bid stats on the first two rounds of the tourney here, you can see average bid results and stuff:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=9078.msg173405#msg173405

@newpaintbrush:

“Well, class!  Let us first consider the possibility that 60% of games end in Allied wins and 40% in Axis wins.  Then what could cause the discrepancy in the reported results?  Well, there are a number of answers.  The first that will probably come to mind is that any given set of examples may contain some deviation from the average expected results.  The second is that possibly, games that end in Axis wins are finished more quickly than games that end in Allied wins, and so the results for the Axis wins are reported more swiftly than the Allied wins, so it appears at this point, before all results are in, that the Axis have a stastical advantage, even though they actually may not.”

Good theory, let’s look at this more closely:

1. Spring tourney was through 2 complete rounds of play, so there are no games from the first two rounds unreported.  However Spring Tourney games are timed, so the competition format may favour the axis compared to a non-timed game
    2. League games are not timed, but possibly many of the longer games (not yet finished) will have an Allied victor, skewing the results even more

These statistics are admittedly using small sample sizes (what we had available here), but certainly a trend can be seen of the timed tournament games favouring the axes, and the untimed league games favouring the allies.  I wonder if participants involved in both competitions would bid the same regardless of which competition their game is in, or if they would factor in whether or not the game was timed, and modify their bid accordingly?

• 2007 AAR League

Would you bid higher or lower in a time limit game?

• 2007 AAR League

Lower to get Axis because of the strategic value of their being able to take IPCs from the get go while Allies have to take time to build up.

• There is ALSO the possibility that players of different skill levels will attain different proportions of Axis versus Allied wins.

And since LHTR is used, that changes the ruleset . . . the bid placement rules also affect the ruleset . . .

Personally, my bid is for two extra German units against Anglo-Egypt.  In TripleA Ladder, you can only pop one unit in per territory.  So instead of popping 2 infantry in Libya, I have to put 1 infantry in Libya and 1 tank in Algeria to get those two extra units against Anglo.  (Note that TripleA Ladder rules also prevent capital invasion on the first turn, or I’d buy a transport and go for long range aircraft to take London . . . well, I forget, but it’s a decent percentage).

Unless the game is REAL short, that is my minimum bid for the Axis.  If someone wants to underbid me, and only put one unit in Africa (or wherever), that’s their business.  Of course, if I COULD invade London on G1, or if I could place multiple units in a territory, my bid would change from 8 to 6, or maybe I would place a transport instead of tank/infantry as mentioned, etc. etc.

• 2007 AAR League

Well, in a timed Game, I expect an agressive Axis player to build up VCs and IPCs in a hurry.  They have to and are in the best position too.

The Allies are designed to defend better than to attack at the beginning.  In a timed game, they might not be able to build up fast enough to keep up.

Therefore, in a timed game, some people may prefer taking the Axis at a lower bid.

• @Wazzup:

Well, in a timed Game, I expect an agressive Axis player to build up VCs and IPCs in a hurry.  They have to and are in the best position too.

If japan can be distracted then Russia can be very aggresive from the begening.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m