• Heres a great way to get you (Germany) pushing closer to Moscow with a great fighter defense in each territory you freshly capture. Over, Under, Around or Through theres always a way.

Russia goes - advances or retreats, it matters not.
    Germany goes - it can then move up to where it wants to go knowing that it cant land planes there. No worries. Brittain goes -  hopefully they dont mess with your plans
    Japan goes - Having craftily placed their fighters in a good zone, they can now swoop in to the german position, providing huge defensive punch, and hopefully germany brought an AA(A) Gun. Nice front line protection for the advancing forces.
    USA goes - ( see UK )

I`d like to see the Japanese navy swing down south and help take egypt and pump fighters up for the german advance. This makes it hard for the russians to counter a plane and AA(A) defended german front.

Cheers,
    Starlight Sniper

• Not that the Germans are in too much trouble in this game from the beginning anyway, but yes, you could provide even more defense for them with the Japanese Air Force. But this way I certainly promise, you won’t take Egypt down for a long while… Of course always depending on where you put those fighters exactly and how the British plays… but without the Fighter force in Burma, the British should sweep it clean in round 3-4 and Asia becomes quite British with some serious consequences: Britain gets many highly needed IPCs for getting to business in Europe and Russia doesn’t have to fear Japanese pressure from the east… Of course now it depends on how Russia acts, but if it hits with some nice strafing attack-retreat-moves, the valuable units might get some losses… And here we are again in the vast lands of speculation :wink:

• Yeah, it’s a strong move that I usually see with experienced players.
    Caucasus and West Russia are the two territories where it usually happens.

• For guni-kid -  As for the placement of the Japanese fighters, I’d like to see them put to use in the Caucasus. It’s the one place that Germany has a tough time taking and holding against the Russian counter-attack. With a little help Germany can take it and keep it. Like I was planning, you’d have your carriers in the Persian gulf area and the planes ready to fly and attack anywhere from the East Indies to Central Mediterranean.  I agree the Zeroes need to be put to good use, but having them ready to back up Germany for one (maybe two) turn is a good option (IMHO).
    Swinging them (Japan planes) back an forth may be just what the doctor ordered. From Ukrain / W. Russia you can still hit India.
    But I digress . . . . . .

For MarineIguana   -  No higher compliment can befall a board gamer
    @MarineIguana:

Yeah, it’s a strong move that I usually see with experienced players.

If you’re willing to risk a T1 German navy purchase in Italy , a move I’ve tried before (with limited success) is taking the Med. German Navy, conquering Egypt and sailing through the canal to take East Africa / Australia / Hawaii / South America.

On a flip side to this discussion . . . . .   
    Germany can do the same thing to help out Japan. Wherever Japan lands its land forces, try and have a German plane or two to add to the defence. This is particularly good for helping advance towards India.

Cheers,
    Starlight Sniper

• Caucasus could work for some turns, that’s right… If you have an eye on Asia still and don’t plan to go for India at all costs that is a hard nutshell for the Allies to crack… I haven’t tried that one yet, do you have personal experience with it?

I guess the Russian could go on a strafing mission there in Caucasus if you’re not careful (taking as many Japanese fighters down as possible). Even risking his Inf-fodder can’t be too bad, if it keeps his back clean in Asia and the UK swing their fighters from India to Russia on time… It also increases the pressure for the US to enter the arena even quicker in order to keep the Russian alive…

What do you think guys?

• For guni-kid  - I’ve used the Zeros as a German re-enforcement tactic successfully in Egypt (to defend again a Russian counter attack force in Trans Jordan). I’ve also lent a fighter or two on occasion from Japan to Germany for the game to use as he needs. I don’t actually lend the plane, but the Luftwaffe has control over their use and Japan never sees them again. 
    It’s a team effort right ?

As to your second point of Allied Planes flooding into Russia to help defend. It’s an almost impossible strategy to beat. How can you attack Moscow if there’s an allied Fighter Defense 15+ strong.The US zones being worth only 1 IPC is ridiculous. Where do you go as the Americans ??

Cheers,
    Starlight Sniper

• Mostly I bring what is stationed in the US heartland from the beginning over to North Africa in turn 3-4 (depending on German naval actions and purchases) and after that several turns to Scandinavia, bit by bit supported by UK to take back Karelia or at least keep the Germans occupied there in favor for the Russians… and finally directly to Europe: France and Northwest-Europe from turn 8-10 on (again: depending on German purchases and moves). If it didn’t work that way or the Russian died too early I lost my games  :cry: Quite often it comes to eventually giving up India (in round 7-9) to support Russia with 10+ UK Fighters and to take the Caucasus into UK hands for the time being, but keeping the Russian alive with it: He can turn east then and defend against the Japanese as long as UK and US are dealing with Germany.

• For guni-kid  - Your US tactics are interesting. I like the piece-at-a-time attack method. One force here for mission A),  One force there for mission B), Another force ready for mission C). If you can co-ordinate a final meeting place or strike zone the US could surprise everyone in about T10+.  The only flaw in your plan I see is the quick capture of Russia and US forces only hearing about it on the Armed Services Radio Network after the fact.
    It’s funny how on one turn losing India can seem like the most insane idea ever dreamed up, but then a few turns later you are more than happy to give up the zone no questions asked, lol.

Re: Crafty Air Defense  -  I hate how in A&A 1914 you have to have at least one infantry with your troops. It limits how far you can send an “Air Force” to help out an ally. In 1942(2nd Ed.) I’ve seen my friends pump out nothing but planes as the US. On about T5 the Air Armada was on a non-stop flight to the Kremlin and causing all sorts of problems for the Axis Navies. Yeesh!!

Cheers,
    Starlight Sniper

• @guni-kid:

Mostly I bring what is stationed in the US heartland from the beginning over to North Africa in turn 3-4 (depending on German naval actions and purchases) and after that several turns to Scandinavia, bit by bit supported by UK to take back Karelia or at least keep the Germans occupied there in favor for the Russians… and finally directly to Europe: France and Northwest-Europe from turn 8-10 on (again: depending on German purchases and moves). If it didn’t work that way or the Russian died too early I lost my games  :cry: Quite often it comes to eventually giving up India (in round 7-9) to support Russia with 10+ UK Fighters and to take the Caucasus into UK hands for the time being, but keeping the Russian alive with it: He can turn east then and defend against the Japanese as long as UK and US are dealing with Germany.

You seem to be getting the gist of it. This is exactly the right way to play the allies.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m