• Well Octo, for the tournament, it will not be played that way :-)

Also, based on what I have been reading at the Harris Design site, there probably will be a version 1.3 of LHTR with a clarification on this situation in the near future (there is already a specific request for a draft of language to clarify based on what I originally thought, and what you are advocating now.)

I did finally get approved to join that discussion thread, and I did make one final consolidated post as a Devil’s Advocate… pulling together every conceivable support for Larry’s original view on the topic so that, when the revision are done, they are complete, comprehensive, and do not create any new ambiguiities in the rules.

• And for those not following this, here is that post…

OK, I have been discussing this on another board for several days after running into the submerged German sub with UK ships present and a USA attack TWICE in my current game.

Originally, I thought as most folks here do… the UK ships (in the above example) are NOT a participant at all.

However, after reading Lary’s posts earlier in this thread, and after playing Devil’s Advocate on the discussion, there are a few things to consider before the final decision is made on a revision to the rules (a revision is needed, just a matter of which way it goes).

First off, there is the obvious point that all of the units are indeed in the same sea zone…
    Second, there is the rule that specifically prohibits targetting a single nation’s forces when the forces of more than one nation occupy the same sea zone or territory.
    Third there is the rule that specifically states that when forces of more than one nation are together in a territory and take losses, the allied forces decide what is lost, and if they can’t, then the enemy decides.
    And lastly, it is my understanding (based on second hand data) that the A&A Pacific rules DO specify that in a case like the above example, the UK ships CAN be hit by Germany’s sub defensive fire.

There is also ancillary evidence to suggest that allied (little a not big A) destroyers function at ALL times. For example the rules state that if a DST is “present”… not participating but “present”. And “present” means IN the sea zone.

The rules allow subs to submerge.
    The rules allow joint occupancy of a sea zone
    The rules allow another allied antion to attack that sea zone
    The rules specify that a single nation may NOT be targetted if more than one nation’s forces are in a territory/sea zone
    The rules specify that where forces of more than one nation are present, the allied player(s) choose the loses, and if they cannot decide the enemy chooses.

And then there is a statement (somewhere previous in this thread) that game mechanics (i.e. the use of the Battle Board playing aid) should not override the rules (invalidating the argument that since there is not a space on the Battle Board for allied fodder that it is not allowed). And note that in 2nd Ed there is no slot for transports for attacking navy on the battle board, but there was never a question that the transports could be taken as loses…

And lastly, folks have said that the rules repeatedly state that multinational forces can not attack together. This is true… and the UK ships in the above example NEVER FIRE A SHOT. They are NOT attacking, they are not defending. But they ARE there, in the same sea zone, at the same time.

And the allied player(s) should choose their loses.

• @ncscswitch:

Extrapolating…
    USA trannies an AA gun from the US to somewhere in central Europe (perhaps Eastern)
    Germany flies over Eastern to get to Belorussia to attack.
    The US is NOT a participant in the attack in any way, shape, or form.
    Does the AA gun fire? It is not being attacked, and the battle is between the Russian forces in Belorussia and the German AF. By your reasoning, it would not, since the United States is not being attacked, and it is not their turn.

But that is NOT how it works. Even though the US is not being attacked, their gun gets to fire… because it is THERE.

And that is the point of the UK ships in the above example… they ARE there.

By the rules, they can;t shoot (just like the German planes can;t fire into Eastern on their way to Belorussia), but they ARE there, to DO exist, and as such should be subject to being hit and, according to undispited black letter rules, the 2 players controlling the multination force CHOOSE their loses.

ncscswitch…
    this is not the way it works…
    Somewhere in the rulebook, you can find that you can attack only one territory…
    extrapolating this, YOU should assume that only ONE territory may defend (in this situation the fact that the attacked territory has combined enemy forces present is irrelevant)…
    But it is known that AA guns are an exception to this narrow way of thinking.
    So, more than one territory CAN defend, while only one is being attacked!!!
    (And you know this, too)
    They will probably have 2 shots (one before battle and one after battle - yes, even in NON-combat they will shoot if you pass the AA gun again).
    So, I believe that comparing the sea zone example with the multi-advantages of AA-fire is not a good comparison at all!
    You can have more than one territory defending (with the special ability of AA), but you can only have one territory to attack!

What I try to explain: you try to compare apples with pears… but these situations are not to be compared 'cause they are TOTALLY different!

And in case you didn’t notice:
    @ncscswitch:

nope, he is DEFENDING

@ncscswitch:

But that is NOT how it works. Even though the US is not being attacked, their gun gets to fire… because it is THERE.

the USA isn’t being attacked in anyway. This is mere the special abbility of the AA! and not only because ‘it is there’

Again: trying to proove your point with an example of AA guns is not a good example at all 'cause it’s totally different and a narrow way of thinking!

ps: Keep up the good works, though! I like most of your posts on the forum!!!

• @ncscswitch:

But BlackWatch…

That goes counter to Larry’s posts discussing this very topic… game mechanics should not override the rules.

The Battle Board is a playing aid

The reality is that all of the units are IN that sea zone, and in no version of A&A are you EVER allowed to target a single nation’s forces when there is more than one nation’s forces in that area.  And Germany (using the previous example) IS targetting just the US ships and ignoring the UK ships that are in the same zone when he fires.

Extrapolating…
    USA trannies an AA gun from the US to somewhere in central Europe (perhaps Eastern)
    Germany flies over Eastern to get to Belorussia to attack.
    Does the AA gun fire?  It is not being attacked, and the battle is between the Russian forces in Belorussia and the German AF.  By your reasoning, it would not, since the United States is not being attacked, and it is not their turn.

But that is NOT how it works.  Even though the US is not being attacked, their gun gets to fire… because it is THERE.

And that is the point of the UK ships in the above example… they ARE there.

By the rules, they can;t shoot (just like the German planes can;t fire into Eastern on their way to Belorussia), but they ARE there, to DO exist, and as such should be subject to being hit and, according to undispited black letter rules, the 2 players controlling the multination force CHOOSE their loses.

OK, that is the last I have to say on this subject.  The rules for the Tourney are set.

We’ll let the Game Designers determine what clarifications to make to the rules (because one way or another, this potentially FREQUENT situation needs to be dealt with (it happened 2 times in the game I am currently playing)

Let’s first discuss the issue of intent.

The authors of the game (Larry and Mike Selinker) had several objectives and intents in mind when they created Axis and Allies and developed a rule set to express those intents. Once they published the game, those intents were then cast in stone. Someone who has a copy of the game in the middle of the Sahara doesn’t have the luxury of being able to get on line and ask what Larry meant by something - he has to go with what is in print in front of him.

When AAR was initially published there were many ambiguities created by rule writing that tried to reflect the intent of the authors, most often because what they intended for one part of the game conflicted with an intent they had for another part of it. Larry and Mike both worked with a committee of players to re-write the rules so that they were internally consistent, while preserving as much of the intent of the authors as possible. We would often whittle an issue down to two or three possibilities then ask Larry or Mike for a final ruling, “Which way do you want this to work, A or B?” They would decide, and the wording could then be nailed to the door as gospel. BOTH Larry and Mike acknowledged that post publication interpretations of “intent” was not satisfactory - the intent had to be translated into hard and fast rule, and that ultimately the written rule is what needed to be observed, not intent.

Second. “Intent” is a moving target, based on a number of human factors. Written rules are fixed. That’s why they are written down, since the authors acknowledge the necessity for a common base of understanding for how to play the game.

So - can we please move any debate away from “intnent” and focus on what is actually written? The rules “rule” (that’s why they’re called rules).

Now let’s deal with one other issue.

“The Battle Board is a playing aid

Sorry. That is not so. It is an integral part of the game, and pieces are required to be placed on it when conducting combat (please check your own rule book, and you will see this is so). Most players can ignore this requirement as a matter of convenience when playing, but that is what they are doing - ignoring a game rule to speed up play. The rules specifically require that all attacking and defending units must be placed on the battle board in their designated locations.

The battle board is set up with a casualty line on the defender side which is where pieces are placed by the defender after they are hit, but before they had a chance to have their last roll. I don’t have either battle board with me right now, but the second edition rule book at least specifically states that attacking transports get placed on the battle board “below the line” on the Attacker’s side of the board (see page 19 of the Basic Rules). This allows them to participate in the battle even though they don’t get to roll (remember that attacker’s losses are removed as soon as the defender has rolled all the dice for each of the defender’s columns).

This language has not been repeated in the LHTR rules set. It may well need to be added as a clarification on this point (unless the battle board itself designates a spot for attacking transports - I don’t have a copy with me at the moment).

Edit: Yoper has informed me that the Battle Board that comes with Axis and Allies Revised has a spot for attacking transports with a “0” hit value.

BW

• usa hits german subs with only air and uk boats are there, germany gets to pound those ships?

• @critmonster:

usa hits german subs with only air and uk boats are there, germany gets to pound those ships?

Nope. If US is attacking it is USA v Germany and UK is totally out of play.

I waded through much of the AA Pacific rules where this issue is treated differently (the UK ships WOULD be in play). As an interesting side note, the example given involved the UK having a destroyer in the Japan Seazone. Japan then built a sub, which the US air then elected to attack. In AAP a friendly destroyer MUST be present for any air unit to attack a sub. The UK destroyer is considered to be “present” in order to allow the US air units to even try to hit the sub. Since it has an actual value to the US, there is at least some logic to making it an eligible return fire target for the defending submarines. (None of this is applicable to Axis and Allies Revised - LHTR rules).

BW

• Hurry up and pass the bill through Congress to LHTR so we can get off of this horse  :lol:

• AAP is much smaller scale as well.  i posted the comment about the subs to illustrate my point against having allies soak hits.  i doubt if any uk player would want usa to hit u-boats when it could cost them their bb!

• Some of these discussions remind me of debates between Star Wars fans about what’s canon and what’s not.  Seems to me we’ve sorta got one of those problems on our hands.  What rule is “the” rule?  :-P

• Well, I originally thought the way Octo and others do.

Then I changed my mind when I read Larry’s previous posts.

Then this whole thing exploded.

And, in an effort to get the best and most correct ruling and clarification, I argued to the best of my ability to illustrate the less popular side in this issue.

LHTR is apparently going to be updated (1.3 I think?) in the near future, and a specific exclusion for naval forces belonging to an ally of an attacker are going to be included.

• i understand both sides and their validity and i conjecture that with lhtr 3 that allied boats will soak hits.  my biggest issue is that it seems to be ANOTHER, albeit rare, situation that favors the allies in a game that most agree already favors the allies (even without NA’s which make it worse) i would much rather see something that makes KJF viable

• Actually Crit, the correction they are writing will specifically exclude the UK ships from ANY involvement in a situation like the US attacking a German sub in waters that also contain UK ships.

UK BB’s won;t be able to absorb a hit, but an air only attack will leave the German sub with nothing to attack despite all those juicy UK ships being there too.

• so he/they are CHANGING their stand!?!

democracy in action :mrgreen:

• @critmonster:

so he/they are CHANGING their stand!?!

democracy in action :mrgreen:

Appreantly, Larry is changing his to fit with everyone else :-)

• so, ncscswitch (or anybody else?),

has there been a modification in Larry’s rules?
    or will he change them eventually in one way or another?
    when is it official?
    :-)

• Well, the ruling from the folks who actually authored the written LHTR (the 3 existing versions) are of a mind that the UK ships absorbing hits was NEVER legal under the rules (this is at odds with Larry’s own posts on the subject previously).

However, Larry has apparently withdrawn his objection and the CLARIFICATION that will include a blackletter exclusion of what they felt was already in the rules will be posted shortly.

I have no idea what the distribution is for LHRT revisions, or even what makes them “official”  Afterall, LHRT are TECHNICALLY just house rules that a lot of folks use.  And since there are currently 3 versions (LHRT, LHRT1.1, LHRT 1.2) and about to be a 4th (LHRT 1.3) plus the original rule manual AND the original manual with errata revisions both from Avalon…

So you tell me, with 5 “official” rule sets in existence, what does it take to make the next set “official”?

• @ncscswitch:

So you tell me, with 5 “official” rule sets in existence, what does it take to make the next set “official”?

LOL,

when a Axis and Allies Revised Revised is sold in shops in 2014?
    :lol: 8-)

• @ncscswitch:

Well, the ruling from the folks who actually authored the written LHTR (the 3 existing versions) are of a mind that the UK ships absorbing hits was NEVER legal under the rules (this is at odds with Larry’s own posts on the subject previously).

However, Larry has apparently withdrawn his objection and the CLARIFICATION that will include a blackletter exclusion of what they felt was already in the rules will be posted shortly.

I have no idea what the distribution is for LHRT revisions, or even what makes them "official"  Afterall, LHRT are TECHNICALLY just house rules that a lot of folks use.  And since there are currently 3 versions (LHRT, LHRT1.1, LHRT 1.2) and about to be a 4th (LHRT 1.3) plus the original rule manual AND the original manual with errata revisions both from Avalon…

LHTR v 1.2 is the current “official” rule set in use by the major on-line clubs and by the moderators/gamemasters of the major face to face tournaments. If and when the update under discussion is put into effect, it will likely be issued as LHT 1.3. It will be available on-line as a web document at http://dicey.net/revised/index.php . A link will also be provided there for a pdf version (English first, with German following in a month or so, if history repeats itself.). The German online club DAAK, maintains the site where the pdf versions are kept. AAMC maintains the site where the web version is kept.

What makes them official is the recognition by the clubs’ leadership that they are the rules in effect for club play. If your local club has printed variation rule sets, then those are the official rules for your local group. Their “officialness” is only a question of degree of universal acceptance. I would be delighted to have AH/WOC lift the LHTR rule set in its entirety and post in on its website, but frankly Scarlett, I don’t think they give a damn. They’re making money with no effort and do not seem to be concerned that they have a defective product on the market.

BW

• Thanks Black Watch :-)

The short version is that there is in fact NO single, 100% universal set of rules that everyone agrees on as being official :-D

• @ncscswitch:

Thanks Black Watch :-)

The short version is that there is in fact NO single, 100% universal set of rules that everyone agrees on as being official :-D

Agreed. However it might be useful for anyone wanting to play competitively in the online clubs or at ftf tourneys to print and learn the LHTR rules - it’s what you’ll be playing with there, and you don’t really want to learn them in your first experience in the clubs.

Also - the same notion of non-universality of rules can be seen in other situations, but you better be sure you learn the local rules before entering the game. To use traffic rules for example:

1. In Quebec (at least the last time I drove there), there is no right turn on a red light allowed. If you do it and are caught, it’s the same fine as if you ran straight through.
    2. In Ontario, those fancy dressed up pedestrian crosswalks absolutely require any driver to yield the right of way to pedestrians - it’s not optional.

BW

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m