The big question, what religion are you?

• This topic will more than likely get rather inflamed, and I want a topic like that, so here we go…I am a Catholic… :D

What are you?

• atheism is not a religion

• I’m not sure what i am, i prescribe to some Christian beliefs, but i find more of what i believe in common with the early, “original” christians, the original jewish followers of Christ.

I am not sure if Jesus was our savior, and i doubt (though its possible) that he was the son of god. I do belief he was both a great man and a prophet.

I certainly believe in a higher power and higher purpose, of course, i also prescribe to some “pagan” beliefs, as well as a belief in a lot of "supernatural’’ things.

I don’t have a religion so much as a set of personal beliefs.

• Btw, i disagree Janus, Atheism is a firm, set belief in the abscence of a god, therefor a religion (imho). ;)

• @Janus1:

atheism is not a religion

I agree with Raarne, atheism, is a strong belief that could be considered a religion…

• @MuthaRussia:

@Janus1:

atheism is not a religion

I agree with Raarne, atheism, is a strong belief that could be considered a religion…

I believe strongly that crullers are the best kind of donut.
    I think i may have just invented the greatest religion ever!!!

• re·li·gion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-ljn)
    n.

a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
    b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
    2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
    3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
    4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

there is no belief structure, no spiritual leader, no supernatural, no worship, no specific values associated with atheism. some atheists take it upon themselves to pursue the cause of eradicating religion with zeal. in such a case, or a similar one, you could make an argument for them being a religion. as it exists in and of itself though, atheism is not a religion. atheism is the absence of religion and belief.

• Like Janus said. Belief in the absence of something is not a religion. I’m Christian, I suppose you’d say Protestant, but no particular denomination.

• I’m a Baptist. Why the heck wasn’t Baptist a choice?!?

• I think it was probably lumped into Protesstantism, along with Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Lutherans Etc.

• @The:

I’m a Baptist. Why the heck wasn’t Baptist a choice?!?

Exactly Raarne they are protestant…

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    TRS…are you a southern boy/belle?
    You are baptist, and you have an email with Beagle in it… :o

Just couldn’t help but notice… :-? :lol:

• Regardless of whether Atheism is a religion or not (it isnt) it had to be included becuase in a poll of what religion you are, the choice of saying you are nto religious had to exist, or the poll would not be accurate.

My religious beliefs are very mixed. I started out an Anglican, but eventually rejected this religion when i realized it was essentially “catholic light, all the rewards with half the requirements!”, more commonly know as Bullshit. I attend a catholic private highschool, and for some reason began to embrace the stricter forms of Catholic morality, especially when it comes to sexual relations, while slowly distancing myself from Christian theology in general. Currently, I would place my theological position as paralleling Deism from the Englightenment, following the beliefs of Voltaire and the Newtonian World Machine theory, while my moral code demands control on a level similar to that of a devout Catholic.

As such, despite perpendicular theological beliefs, I tend to associate myself with the religious crowd, as i find thier priorities to be more in tune with mine, and we have less conflicting levels of behavioral acceptance. Not that i dont have any atheist friends, but in general they tend to be too…“free”…for my tastes.

• Interesting point, CY. Though apparently you’ve never met the girl I’m crazy about… :P The current main reason she won’t see me as more than a friend, is that she plans (one could almost say hopes) to never marry. Oh well, enough about me and my personal problems ;) :P. I agree with you, Atheism needs to be on the list, simply because it provides an outlet for the (in my humble opinion) great numbers of Atheists on these boards.

• Agnostic.

Add it :)

• christian, denominations dont matter to me, just believe what god tells you in the bible, if you interpret what he says differently than whatsome other person might think, fine, just keep on the track and try to live the way gods book tells you.

• @Yanny:

Agnostic.

Add it :)

agree 100%

• @Raarrne:

I think it was probably lumped into Protesstantism, along with Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Lutherans Etc.

Why? Protestants and Lutherans were formed by rebelling against the Catholic chruch. Baptists were never part of the Catholic chruch.@MuthaRussia:

Exactly Raarne they are protestant…

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    TRS…are you a southern boy/belle?
    You are baptist, and you have an email with Beagle in it…

Just couldn’t help but notice…

I don’t understand your question; what do beagles have to do with Baptists?

• Why is this question considered big anyway?

Wouldnt exactly call myself a Protestant(don’t protest no more :wink: )… I’m a Christian… ANd Atheism is the belief in a self supporting religion (man as god)

GG

@F_alk:

Why is this question considered big anyway?

Which one The Thread Question or the Athiest one…?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m