• I was studying Mathematics at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. And I was really suprised by its low standards.
    The first week I met a graduate student grading a test for undergraduates. This test contained problems like
    3 + (-7) !!!
    and there were people incapable of solving that!
    A friend of mine was giving a cours to students ef Electrical Engeneering, who could not simplify
    (x - 1)/x + x/(x + 1)
    I had “Real Analysis” in my first year at university. But in America, you don’t hear it before your first or second year of graduate studies.

Maybe the Americans should cut that “Greatest Nation on Earth”.

• The first week I met a graduate student grading a test for undergraduates. This test contained problems like
    3 + (-7) !!!
    and there were people incapable of solving that!

A friend of mine was giving a cours to students ef Electrical Engeneering, who could not simplify
    (x - 1)/x + x/(x + 1)

I got 2x^2 - 1/x^2 + x. But it’s been over a year since I’ve had a math class and I’m sadly out of it, so it’s likely wrong.

Maybe the Americans should cut that “Greatest Nation on Earth”.

Could be. How do we decide who the new one is? Then again, perhaps the other countries would be wise not to apply that title to themselves.

• Maybe the Americans should cut that “Greatest Nation on Earth”.

Maybe it’s just the university you go too… This seems like an entrance exam for a pre-calc course you would take. What math course are you taking?

• I know our education system sucks, but i’m in high school (sophmore) and i can answer these…… wow.

I still think we’re the greatest country in the world, lead by the greatest man in the world.

(this is a bit of a joke on how much i like G.W. compared to say, every other human alive. I spent all of today’s lunch discussing how G.W. Bush invented the universe… its truly funny to see me do these things. :) )

• @Darrigaaz:

I know our education system sucks, but i’m in high school (sophmore) and i can answer these…… wow.

I could be certain of my answers were I still in high school, but I haven’t been keeping up with my higher math studies as of late.

I still think we’re the greatest country in the world, lead by the greatest man in the world.

1st part, maybe, 2nd part, probably not.

(this is a bit of a joke on how much i like G.W. compared to say, every other human alive.

Strange, I think most people would rather insert “myself” for “G.W” in that post. (at least I would)

I spent all of today’s lunch discussing how G.W. Bush invented the universe…… its truly funny to see me do these things.

I’ll bet it is. I’ve become an illogical Bush supporter, however. Even though I keep finding reasons not to support/vote for him, I still support him just because.

• lol same hear……

he gets enough bulls**t from everyone else, i dont need to pile it on…

• Is the 3 positive(+) or negative(-)?!? There is no designation.
    Is the 3 in this time continuum?
    Is the 3 in this or an alterate universe?
    Is the 3 only part of a # in the process of appearing from elsewhere? (e.g.,74[3]8.853029)
    Is it politically correct to ask the 3 to come out of the closet? :oops: Sorry, we swerved into Sociology!)

• How about asking…

“How many states are in the Continental United States?”

The answer is 48.

The Continental United States or CONUS consists of the 48 contiguous states of the United States of America and the federal capital, the District of Columbia. This grouping is also referred to as the conterminous states or the contiguous states.

Hawai’i, an archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, is a non-continental state.

Although Alaska is geographically a continental state (sharing North America, but separated from the Lower 48 by Canada), legally it is considered a non-continental state. This rhetorical distinction originated in the Alaska Omnibus Act of 1959 in light of the state’s admission into the Union and had to do with IRS legalities.

In Hawai‘i, the continental United States is typically referred to as “the mainland”. In Alaska the continental United States is referred to as “the lower 48”.

• Is the 3 positive(+) or negative(-)?!? There is no designation.

In the absence of a notation thus, the 3 is considered to be positive.

The Continental United States or CONUS consists of the 48 contiguous states of the United States of America and the federal capital, the District of Columbia. This grouping is also referred to as the conterminous states or the contiguous states.

I knew this, but I hadn’t heard of:

This rhetorical distinction originated in the Alaska Omnibus Act of 1959 in light of the state’s admission into the Union and had to do with IRS legalities.

How about: What what was the better land deal measured by cost per acre: Alaska, or the Louisiana Purchase?

• louisiana purchass. it was sold for less than 1 cent an acre i beleive, while alaska was sold for 2

• @dropkickjake:

louisiana purchass. it was sold for less than 1 cent an acre i beleive, while alaska was sold for 2

Actually, the Louisiana Purchase was 3 cents an acre.* Where I live now, land goes for 1000 an acre. Talk about inflation!

*And this is why France hates us today.

• Try asking an American who our Vice President is. 2 in 5 don’t know.

• @Yanny:

Try asking an American who our Vice President is. 2 in 5 don’t know.

Hurray! I’m part of the majority!

• oh oh pick me I know.

• 1dog, wait yo turn. Can you do an Arnold Horshack impersonation with that “Oh! Oh!”???(from the old tv show Welcome Back, Kotter![before some of you were born.])

Vice President! Ain’t he the head of the Mafia(which, of course, doesn’t exist.)

When asked ‘What government position does Colin Powell hold?’ many peeps say 'Secretary of Defense."

I’ve heard that answer on both the Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck shows on the radio.

• I’ve heard that answer on both the Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck shows on the radio.

Hannity has a radio show too? I thought he was just on FOX News.

• @Grigoriy:

@dropkickjake:

louisiana purchass. it was sold for less than 1 cent an acre i beleive, while alaska was sold for 2

Actually, the Louisiana Purchase was 3 cents an acre.* Where I live now, land goes for 1000 an acre. Talk about inflation!

*And this is why France hates us today.

thats odd, where i live (louisiana) we have been taught it was less than 1. also, it the la territory had no deffinate western boundry

• @dropkickjake:

thats odd, where i live (louisiana) we have been taught it was less than 1. also, it the la territory had no deffinate western boundry

Hmm, we can go with that, until someone finds something better. Also, the second part is true, but the British and Mexicans had some claims on areas west of the purchase.

• Hannity has the 2nd or 3rd most listened to AM radio show in the nation. He does a segment where he finds young (meaning 18-20) kids, and asks them to name our President, Vice President, ect. Also he sometimes asks them to recite the National Anthem or Pledge of Allegiance. Every once in awhile they find a smart one, but for the most part that can’t do any of the above.

• @Yanny:

Try asking an American who our Vice President is. 2 in 5 don’t know.

Yea, well, niether do some of the Democratic hopefulls. :roll:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m