Saudis are acting like USians I once knew…

• SOURCE :
    http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1§ion=0&article=30256&d=14&m=8&y=2003

Americans once wanted it mostly their way when visitors came to the US, but said, “You can’t do that! I’m an American.” when abroad. However, most USians have learned better from travel, business and the internet.

Today Saudis want to come to the US and hide behind a veil for their driver’s license photos. Yet when tourists come to Saudi Arabia they must behave and dress as told by Saudi/Islamic law.

I think we need to educate the world that it’s a good idea to learn the customs and follow the laws of the countries where we vacation or do business. Also, learning to speak the language would be a sign of courtesy as well as broaden the traveler’s world.

Solamente uno poco step for un plus amical monde. :) I tried.

• Ummm…. your article talked more about developing tourism in Saudi Arabia, not of Saudi tourism here. I don’t quite get the point you’re trying to make…

• Add the article to the news… remember the Arab Muslim woman who came to the US but wanted to have her photo taken with the veil on? That’s just one example of visitors, immigrants and illegal aliens wanting to have their pie and eat it, too.

That’s the way I used to be about 25 years ago. I just see them as I was.

• Just wondering, what American customs weren’t allowed into the places you travel (except for the middle east, as that might be a little obvious)

• Its not American customs, so much as Americans being redneck tourist assholes in other countries (unless you count that as a custom, and pardon the language). ever read “The Ugly American”? this is basically what its about. and i agree with other countries on this, American tourists further dirty an already sullen American name.

• I never encountered an “redneck American tourist” so it would be interesting to see what “these people are like,” but believe it or not, a lot of places around the world count on our tourism like Paris for instance.

• Canada does too. BIG TIME.
    At the same time, we love to vacation in Cuba . . . why? No American tourists. Many people at the lake where our cottage is are trying to apply pressure to prevent another cottage owner from renting out their cabin to American tourists. This is not because Americans are evil, so much as our experience has taught us that they are very self-centered, with little realization that other people exist and it requires a certain sense of manners to live in communion with these other people.
    (Eureka - i’ve just figured out why so many Americans own guns!!!
    :o )
    I appologise if it appears that i’m generalizing (which i am) as i have met many pleasant Americans on vacation (and i’m certain that many Canadians act foully in other locales) but you go with the pattern as it were.

• dont apologize CC, like i said, its been my experience too that many Americans are assholes on vacation. not me of course, :wink: , but many

• @cystic:

This is not because Americans are evil, so much as our experience has taught us that they are very self-centered, with little realization that other people exist and it requires a certain sense of manners to live in communion with these other people.

I have to disagree, for as my Econ teacher used to say…
    (this now goes for Americans in general)

@GI’s:

You’re not evil, you’re just stupid.

I think it’s not so much Americans are trying to be a**holes, they just have no idea they’re being that way.

• I agree fully with you Grigory, if you got the opposite impression from me, I apologize.

• @Grigoriy:

@cystic:

This is not because Americans are evil, so much as our experience has taught us that they are very self-centered, with little realization that other people exist and it requires a certain sense of manners to live in communion with these other people.

I have to disagree, for as my Econ teacher used to say…
    (this now goes for Americans in general)

@GI’s:

You’re not evil, you’re just stupid.

I think it’s not so much Americans are trying to be a**holes, they just have no idea they’re being that way.

actually, you just agreed with me.

• I guess redneck American tourist must be an East Coast thing…

• I dont know where in the US they are from, but I see them all the time.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m