• There’s no denying the fact that Jews have been persecuted to the nth degree, however the Native Americans (and all ethnic groups listed above) have suffered too. However (legitimate or not) Jews have a place they feel they can belong. What do the Native Americans have? Patches of land that no one in their right mind would want to live in in the first place? Also in terms of percentage (Natives relative to European settlers during colonial expansion), I don’t think there has been any other minority group that has suffered more.

BTW, Welcome back TG!

Yeah, it’s been a while. 8) Good to see you too, Emu. :)

• @TG:

There’s no denying the fact that Jews have been persecuted to the nth degree, however the Native Americans (and all ethnic groups listed above) have suffered too. However (legitimate or not) Jews have a place they feel they can belong. What do the Native Americans have? Patches of land that no one in their right mind would want to live in in the first place? Also in terms of percentage (Natives relative to European settlers during colonial expansion), I don’t think there has been any other minority group that has suffered more.

That is part of the big difference between Jews and most other minorities. Jews have not waited for others to help them while doing nothing but have rather taken it upon themselves to help themselves and try to succeed.

• Jews have not waited for others to help them while doing nothing but have rather taken it upon themselves to help themselves and try to succeed

And other minority groups haven’t? I’m not exactly sure what you mean by that. There have been many civil rights movements by africians, hispanics, homosexuals, and native americans in the past. You see these groups standing up for their rights more than I have seen of Jews… :-?

• @TG:

And other minority groups haven’t? I’m not exactly sure what you mean by that. There have been many civil rights movements by africians, hispanics, homosexuals, and native americans in the past. You see these groups standing up for their rights more than I have seen of Jews… :-?

I think that’s partially the point here. These groups are busy demonstrating when the Jews are just going out there and doing well in a variety of areas.

• @TG:

They have recently, but notice how long it has taken many of the minority groups you mentioned to truly begin to organize. Look at some of the abused African countries, for example. Some of them are relying solely on western aid to build up their nations.

• @EmuGod:

Look at some of the abused African countries, for example. Some of them are relying solely on western aid to build up their nations.

Ahm, for those countries … you might want to take a second look. What were they left with when their colonial powers left. What kind of things could they export? Probably raw metals/minerals (if they were lucky) and food. For food, we westerners (EU and US) have built up extremely high walls, so no other source than “inside each ones wall” can come in. The Cairns Group accuses that with full right. So, that leaves the lucky countries that have other resources. What infrastructure was left in these gov’t hands to mine and sell their “goods”? Probably not much. So, to build such things up you need credits, or (foreign) investors. How we as investors do can be seen in Nigeria for example. We like to invest into “stable” countries, were stable usually means “not a democracy”. That this money then does not go to the people should not be surprising.
    For credits: What are the requirements to get a credit? Drop all tariffs that protect your growing industry. Privatize (that is: sell to western corporations) everything that the state owns and is profitable (if it was not profitable, you can offer it, of course, but which corporation would buy it?).
    Dropping the protection usually has a dramatic effect, especially on that countries agricultural sector: Not only can it not export, but the land will be flooded with our highly subsidized goods ( that goes to US and EU, just with different ways to subsidize).

So, if you say they they are relying solely on western money… you should ask and look what made them do so, and what consequences arise.
    Once you are in the abovementioned trap, at least i do not see any way out.

• To even try to compare Jews and Africans is like comparing apples and oranges. Jews at least are a part of the European population (an respectful lives when there aren’t any flare up in anti-semitism), where as Africans had their own countries. It’s not like Europe plundered and despoiled their own countries like they did to Africa. And what means did the Africans have to fight back, instead of being massacred?

• @TG:

To even try to compare Jews and Africans is like comparing apples and oranges. Jews at least are a part of the European population (an respectful lives when there aren’t any flare up in anti-semitism), where as Africans had their own countries. It’s not like Europe plundered and despoiled their own countries like they did to Africa. And what means did the Africans have to fight back, instead of being massacred?

you mean they “WERE” a part of the European population when they weren’t getting systematically eliminated from that population. Rather than Europe despoiling their countries blah blah blah - they despoiled their lives, their families, their homes in very targetted attacks. Even while colonial powers set about to despoil Africa there were attempts at improving the lives of the population through the establishment of schools, hospitals, etc.

• I refuse to believe that Jews were always under exploitation by the European powers. At least they recovered (for the most part); there is still exploitation of Africa and Africans going on even today.

• @Yanny:

The Spanish thoroughly wiped out the entire native Med. Sea population, along with most of Mexico’s.

Then why do they still speak Greek, Arabic, Farsi, Italian and Spanish instead of todos hablan Espanol!?! :P

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m