• @Stalingradski:

6 infantry/fighter London is my favorite UK1 purchase. Gives a little more flexibility and maintains defense.

Also allows some air to go south to fight Italy.

• Absolutely - every round UK can build a fighter is a good turn. They are pretty much the best unit they can build, second only to infantry.

• @Stalingradski:

Absolutely - every round UK can build a fighter is a good turn. They are pretty much the best unit they can build, second only to infantry.

Or Navy…

• Yes, agreed, and it depends what you’re up to.

If Germany is pretty clearly not going Sealion, build at least 1 IC in either Persia or Iraq… and if you can get away with it, Egypt. That’s 3 ICs in the center of the board for UK, or a minimum of 27 IPCs to fill them every round.

Add a single fighter a turn to London, that’s 37 IPCs. That’s usually a pretty normal UK in games I play.

But, if you decide to have an Atlantic and/or Indian Ocean presence, yes yes yes to navy and air combined.

• @Stalingradski:

@ghr2:

Or airbase 1 fighter 1 inf, or minor and rest inf, or for anzac 1 fighter, etc.  It all really depends on what the axis did.

ghr2 - if Germany purchased all fleet, your first two purchases pretty much guarantee a successful Sealion. If Germany bought no navy, I can see it.

I like to do this sometimes.  Instead of buying a Navy in G1 - I’ll just do a basic buy, either troops or a plane and troops.  UKE will lower their defenses (I didn’t buy Navy, I’m obviously not going UK) and will focus on the med or Africa.  G2 - transports (5-7 depending), launch on G3 - take it 85% of the time.  Then just move on down to Gib, let Italy out - and take out US.  Hasn’t worked quite like that yet, but its come close a couple of times.

• @Stalingradski:

@ghr2:

Or airbase 1 fighter 1 inf, or minor and rest inf, or for anzac 1 fighter, etc.  It all really depends on what the axis did.

ghr2 - if Germany purchased all fleet, your first two purchases pretty much guarantee a successful Sealion. If Germany bought no navy, I can see it.

It effectively stops turn 3 sealion. So the only thing you would need to worry about is a turn 2, which depends on the german airforce’s position and/or if he bought extra transports.  In which case, I would probably go with the 6 inf 1 fighter buy.  I always calculate what I will need to hold london.

• Having the 106 transport survive makes a very big difference.

• @AK_Grown:

I like to do this sometimes.  Instead of buying a Navy in G1 - I’ll just do a basic buy, either troops or a plane and troops.  UKE will lower their defenses (I didn’t buy Navy, I’m obviously not going UK) and will focus on the med or Africa.  G2 - transports (5-7 depending), launch on G3 - take it 85% of the time.  Then just move on down to Gib, let Italy out - and take out US.  Hasn’t worked quite like that yet, but its come close a couple of times.

My 92 stack gives the UK incredible flexibility in defending sealion, and still threatening italy.  I would have like 5 less infantry than normal, but I will be bringing home all of my air, navy, and maybe the malta garrison.  Easily makes up for it.

• ghr, by not hitting the Italian navy turn 1, you give them a much easier avenue to Cairo than otherwise.

• I find that cairo is alot easier to hold as Uk when I 92 stack, since Uk can have his entire airforce in egypt round 2 and with the the italian navy either blocked, dead, or just negated after Uk2, the only worry is the the torburk force + 4 + planes.  You easily clear out Sudan with 3 ground and bomber (maybe tac aswell) and your remaining air + some navy wipe out italian fleet.

• At best, italy can get Iraq I2, but this can be contained fairly quickly.

• ghr, so what are your typical moves/purchases for the Allies on turn 1?  What if Germany buys 2 transports turn 1?  What if they buy Navy turn 1?

• Navy turn 1, does not change anything, 2 transports, UK might buy a more direct UK defense and might consider 97.  This also really depends on German combat/UK survivors G1 and positioning of forces at the end of G1.  If germany does not buy land units, Russia goes for a more arty or mech play (maybe tanks).  US maybe puts a carrier and dd in the atlantic with rest in pac.

Like I said, this depends a lot on what survived and where it is at the end of G1.

• fair enough; thanks.

• @ghr2:

@AK_Grown:

I like to do this sometimes. � Instead of buying a Navy in G1 - I’ll just do a basic buy, either troops or a plane and troops. � UKE will lower their defenses (I didn’t buy Navy, I’m obviously not going UK) and will focus on the med or Africa. � G2 - transports (5-7 depending), launch on G3 - take it 85% of the time. � Then just move on down to Gib, let Italy out - and take out US. � Hasn’t worked quite like that yet, but its come close a couple of times.

My 92 stack gives the UK incredible flexibility in defending sealion, and still threatening italy.  I would have like 5 less infantry than normal, but I will be bringing home all of my air, navy, and maybe the malta garrison.  Easily makes up for it.

So you stack 92 on UK1 - you’re going to be leaving the Med on UK2 to protect against Sealion?  Then Italy grabs Gib on their turn…

Maybe I’m a stupid player, but I send the house as Italy when UK sits in 92.  I then let Germany clean up on their turn (planes from Italy, HB’s from W. Germany).  It only sets me back 1 round.

Are you buying an AB UK1 for Gib?

• Maybe I’m a stupid player, but I send the house as Italy when UK sits in 92.  I then let Germany clean up on their turn (planes from Italy, HB’s from W. Germany).  It only sets me back 1 round.

I doubt your stupid :-D  All he has to do is leave one surface ship (preferably a destroyer) in sz 94.  Sz 93 is already blocked by the Frenchies.  All you can get to the sz 92 battle with Italy is 2 fighters (if Germany took S France on G1) and a bomber.  Probably don’t need to explain why that is a bad idea against carrier loaded, 2 cruisers, 1 destroyer.  If sz 110 wasn’t attacked you could add a Battlship and cruiser to that.

Germany won’t be able to attack with anything but Bombers and they will have 2 at the most (you can’t buy a bomber G1).

• I doubt your stupid   All he has to do is leave one surface ship (preferably a destroyer) in sz 94.  Sz 93 is already blocked by the Frenchies.  All you can get to the sz 92 battle with Italy is 2 fighters (if Germany took S France on G1) and a bomber.  Probably don’t need to explain why that is a bad idea against carrier loaded, 2 cruisers, 1 destroyer.  If sz 110 wasn’t attacked you could add a Battlship and cruiser to that.

If UK is sitting in 92 with no blocker, its usually because UK1 buy was an AB.  I’d rather take out what I can and rebuild from there.

edit: I did try going a different way with Italy and was eventually able to claim some Rus/Mid east territory with Italy.  I had alright blockers in the med, but the problem was the 8+ transports slamming my coasts from Gib that game (US/UK).

• If UK is sitting in 92 with no blocker

If they do that on UK 1 then I wipe them out with Italy.

I did try going a different way with Italy and was eventually able to claim some Rus/Mid east territory with Italy.  I had alright blockers in the med, but the problem was the 8+ transports slamming my coasts from Gib that game (US/UK).

I personally use Italy as a support/can opener for Germany until I3.  After that I buy strait Inf and Art and shore up the capital all based off what type of transports are out there from the US and UK.  Whatever is extra I send up to France to protect that area and allow Germany to continue to spend most money on destroying russia.  I never leave guys in Normandy, S France, or N Italy.  It all can be taken back very easily by the Italians or Germans.

• Whatever is extra I send up to France to protect that area and allow Germany to continue to spend most money on destroying russia.

This has never even crossed my mind…

Thanks for the ideas!

• @AK_Grown:

@ghr2:

@AK_Grown:

I like to do this sometimes. � Instead of buying a Navy in G1 - I’ll just do a basic buy, either troops or a plane and troops. � UKE will lower their defenses (I didn’t buy Navy, I’m obviously not going UK) and will focus on the med or Africa. � G2 - transports (5-7 depending), launch on G3 - take it 85% of the time. � Then just move on down to Gib, let Italy out - and take out US. � Hasn’t worked quite like that yet, but its come close a couple of times.

So you stack 92 on UK1 - you’re going to be leaving the Med on UK2 to protect against Sealion?  Then Italy grabs Gib on their turn…

Maybe I’m a stupid player, but I send the house as Italy when UK sits in 92.  I then let Germany clean up on their turn (planes from Italy, HB’s from W. Germany).  It only sets me back 1 round.

Are you buying an AB UK1 for Gib?

I would leave the med only if Germany had a super strong sealion.  I would calculate how much that is needed to hold it, and send the rest on italy.  Usually I would buy an airbase if I need to scramble.  This move helps to preserve the UK fleet and to give options UK2.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m