What Other Strategy Board Games Do You Recommend???

• Diplomacy is a must! I love Turkey, Germany, and Russia!

• russia is good, b/c they get the most units, but many times i find that russia has to fight not only some of the germans, but also either austria or turkey, and Great Britain often pesters her up in the st petersburg area w/ her navy

• usually the luck evens out during the course of the game, but sometimes not. i’m sure TM didn’t have that much luck, i bet it was all strategy

Hahahaha… you should look at the game TM played with Djensen (Games Board)… you’ll notice that when I post TM turns and use dicey to roll, I get average rolls. When TM uses dicey and gets to post her turn, she wins every single battle with Djensen WITHOUT LOSSES. Then you should check out CC’s 5 player game. In one turn TM was able to completely swing the game in favor of the Allies after a 4th(?) turn D-Day at Normandy. She faced 10 inf – took the country with only minor losses. Her strategy is basically, “I think I’ll let the dice speak for me. :roll:”

• My dice rolls are not that good! :x Otherwise, so many who have served under my command, that faithfully and blindly followed my orders, and asked for nothing more would not perish in vain :( On the fields of France, the skies of Germany, and watery graves in the Atlantic. So many would never see the liberation of liberty or the freedoms held dear :cry:

• I played my first game of diplomacy the other week (with more than 3 people that is). I was Russia and was utterly wiped out. I was forced out of the balkans during the fall of 1901 by combined Austrian and Turkish forces. As the Turks pestered Sevastopol, I struck a deal with a weak Germany (he came in a few turns late) and England to crush the combined Austro-turkish force. As England began convoying troops to the southern front he stabs me in the back. I suffered a devistating loss as the turks and English managed to make me disband 4 of my 5 units in a single round. Needless to say I was out by 1906. Highly recomended game, even if your ass gets kicked.

• yeah, its a great game. for russia to survive you have to ally with turkey or austria, or with italy (b/c they can counter turkey and then you’re one on one with austria who’s not as strong as you) germnay is a very fun country to play, but sometimes EVERYBODY makes a bum rush towards the middle and then you’re toast. this happened to me in the last game, russia and france had an alliance, and england and turkey were both also allied against me (it was me & austria holding off against all the countries)
    i was out by 1903 or 1904

• Did anybody here mention Carcassone already? I think so…
    another series of good games are the 18xx games, with 1830 being the classic but not necessarily the best IMO

• 1830, great game, better on the computer than on a board. Too hard on a board.

• Speaking of Diplomacy… at least you where earlier. You can play PBEM dip at www.redscape.com. The forum is basically the same as this one and it is TONS of fun. I am Blitzkrieg there if anyone cares.

Dip is my favorite game by far, mostly because of the zero chance affect. There are interesting variants that have just opened up as well, such as this (called NWO, this is after the second year’s builds. I play Germany.) http://www.redscape.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9568

There are smaller variants or larger ones, plus the standard. My favorite country changes daily, used to be Turkey but Turkey is rather easy to play with. Right now it is Germany, mostly because of the multiple ways that you can go. Austria is a ton of fun to play dipwise but it is the hardest by far.

Blitzkrieg

• @TM:

My dice rolls are not that good! :x Otherwise, so many who have served under my command, that faithfully and blindly followed my orders, and asked for nothing more would not perish in vain :( On the fields of France, the skies of Germany, and watery graves in the Atlantic. So many would never see the liberation of liberty or the freedoms held dear :cry:

Sheesh! We are in the presence of that rare combination: a commander-in-chief with the soul of a poet!!

• try carcassonne by rio grande games it takes about 45 min to play and has a awsome gameplay and scoring system… either that or my personal favorite Settlers of Catan by mayfair that game is very well worked out in strategy as well as awsome expansions but is expensive. its setting is an island somewhere thats being settled in the 1600’s that you populate by collecting and paying rescources for settlements and cities which colllect more rescources for you to buy more settlements, roads, and cities or to buy development cards which get expounded upon in the two expansions… both do not include war, but if you like strategy, and don’t mind not able to pound someone else with inf. , that is still awesome play these would be my suggestions A good one that a friend owns that I’ve only played twice is Age of Imperialism by Eagle games it has a nice money collection and combat system but “is the game that never ends it goes on and on my friends…”

• And good ol’ Blitzkrieg from Avalon Hill is not one that should be forgotten… great game :)

and RoboRally of couse 8)

• Try Soldier Kings. It’s a great game on the 7 years war during the time of Fredrick the Great.

Air Cav is good if u like fast pace squad warfare that includes helicopters during the cold war era.

PanzerBlitz or PanzerLeader if u like squad warfare in world war 2.

Battletech is a great game If u like Mech Warfare.

Blitzkrieg General is a great game based on world war 2 its like Axis & Allies but uses cardboard pieces. Still a good game though.

Just to name a few.

• Conquest of the Empire is a great game…

• I’m not sure if I mentioned this already, but if you don’t have Civil War already, get it!!! Best 40 bucks I ever spent! (and I spent 40 bucks in very “interesting” ways :roll:)

Also, anybody try “Attack” (also by Eagle Games)? It looks a lot like A&A, though with less territories I think.

• Victory in the Pacific is a really good game. Complex but still very fun.
    Its like AAP but with counters. I can post more info if wanted.

• counters? What do you mean?

@TG:

counters? What do you mean?

I think he’s referring to “hex” game counters…

• somewhat difficult to explain, but here goes, in victoryin the pacific there are no ‘‘generic’’ ships or armys, it starts off at pearl harbour,

japan, britan, and the US start with the actually ships they had back then (each one has a different speed, strength, and armor), there is a counter for every ship japan, britan, or US had back then, so it would be very difficult and expensive to use plastic pieces, you do not buy ships or units in this game but recieve them when the were built

japan starts with ALOT of ships but the allies have close to nothing, but as the turns go buy japan starts to get less and less while the USgets more and more. Very fun game but kinda hard to use all those cardboard counters

• I would recommend several games some simple,some harder.I think Risk is a great option for young and old alike.You can understand the rules within an hour and have a game over within 2 hours.Also,Risk is relatively cheap ($20 U.S. funds).The second game I recommend is Stratego,a simple,yet difficult game that even I have yet to master.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m