What WW2 commander do you most admire, and why?

• As for least liked Generals, I can not stand Bernard Montgomery. I think he was a blow hard, and I think that his arogance cost way to many lives durring Market Garden. I think he risked his men’s and other men’s lives just to try to stroke his ego. Patton risked mens lives, but I think he was a driven warrior. He as arogent, but it was deserved.

Not to mention in Normandy! He was so cautious he gave the Germans time to regroup, instead of advancing into an undefended Caen. The extra half a day gave the Germans time to take up positions in Caen, and a huge battle costing many Canadian and British (and German) lives erupted.

He was a great General in Africa though. He held out vs Rommel!

• right but that cuatiousness also worked very well for him in defeating rommel in the desert. I too felt his tactics were far to consevative, but never the less in africa he was good. I liked model too, until I read guderians panzer leader. guderian and model did not agree on many things.
    patton is an obiously good american choice, but I had to rate hom lower because A) he wasn’t fighting on the eastern front against those battle hardened german troops. B) the anglo american forces were only opposed by 20-25% of the less trained soldiers. and C) he tried to liberate a concentration camp where his son in law was being held, the raid failed and cost people’s lives for “personal reasons”. I will agree though that he was my favorite american commander. and only behind zhokov on the allied side. zhokov not only for defense, but he did crush the sixth army. he learned well from the germans.

• I would rate rommel higher, but after el alamein, and his power struggles with the duce, hitler and kesselring, he just kind of gave up the war for lost. and quitting on your troops is unacceptable. even if you don’t believe you can win, you can’t let your troops down.

• Rommel knew the war was lost after Alamein, but he hardly gave up on his troops. He did what could with what he had. Monty fought “safe” battles of attrition at Alamein, no magic there…

• He held out vs Rommel!

Yes… with three times the number of troops and twice the number of tanks (not sure if I accidentally switched those 2 numbers). Not to mention his great advantage of air cover and protected supply lines… :-?

A) he wasn’t fighting on the eastern front against those battle hardened german troops.

Ummm… are you forgetting that Patton took on Rommel’s hardened 10th (or 12th) Panzer in Africa and elite, Herman Goering Division in Sicily…? :-?

he tried to liberate a concentration camp where his son in law was being held, the raid failed and cost people’s lives for “personal reasons”.

That is still debated on. Try reading Frederick Ayer’s “Before the Colors Fade” on this…

zhokov not only for defense, but he did crush the sixth army. he learned well from the germans.

Not to mention his major disaster in Operation Mars… :-?

• Monty’s chief trickster (in charge of deception) was a Magician before the war. Now thats how you fool the enemy :)

• @alamein:

I would rate rommel higher, but after el alamein, and his power struggles with the duce, hitler and kesselring, he just kind of gave up the war for lost. and quitting on your troops is unacceptable. even if you don’t believe you can win, you can’t let your troops down.

Rommel ultimately lost because he was outnumbered 3 to 1 and out of gas.

I would say that my number 1 is Admiral Yamamoto of Japan. He was a brilliant naval commander and had the Japanese army and government allowed him to select his own commanders for the missions and had they listened to him better, Japan would have done much better during the war. The Japanese government was what blocked him from success. He originally wanted Admiral Ozawa, an exceptional commander of carriers to attack Pearl Harbor and Midway, but the government refused to give him Ozawa and gave him Nagumo, an incompotent admiral who would send all the carriers’ fighters to attack. No wonder he lost 4 carriers at Midway! Nagumo left ntohing to defend them! Yamamoto had to order him to attack American forces near Guadalacanal because Nagumo was just blind to do it himself. Despite this, Yamamoto still managed to keep Japan going for a year, which was pretty good for his limitations. His assassination by the Americans (ordered by Roosevelt) portrays just how important he was to the Japanese. The irony for him was that he always protested war with the US and was very pro-American and he beame Japan’s commander to fight against the US.

• @F_alk:

@DasEwokSS:

-1) Peiper. -1 = highest.

Peiper???
    Are you serious???

I guess you are, but Peiper was successful not because of his military genius, but only because of his total lack of respect to human lives. And that is what he became infamous for.

and i love it :) dont u remember Falk. i am insensitive ;)

• Well Peiper was an excellent commander if you disregard ethics…

• im all axis for best generals, guderian even though i cant spell his name and rommel. guderian is the chief proponent of the panzer divisions and rommel, thats self explanatory. yamamoto was a great general even though he had his hands tied by the japanese army and air cores. montgomery only beat rommel out of lack of supplies. come to think of it the afrika korps didnt fall until after he was transferred to the hospital in paris. :wink: dugalle was just like igor, the bumbling assistant that always botches things up and takes credit for it. kesselrig and the other commi commanders were good but when u have the space of the russian frontier russia basically killed em w/ the scorched earth tactic. kudos to the ussr, the best were the axis generals. :D they just had bumbling superiors

• If Yamamoto was so great why did he divide his superior fleet all over the ocean for the Midway operation? He sent two carriers to the Aluetians when they could have been put to good use off Midway. Why not concentrate all your strenght in one place and just hammer your opponent with everything you have?

• Guest, you hit the nail on the head with that point (pun intended).

• Candy_67,
    Don’t you mean hit the head with a bullet? :roll:

• Another memorable commander was Günther Prien, commander of the U 47.

He went into the port of Scapa Flow with his sub….
    have a look at:
    http://uboat.net/ops/scapa_flow.htm

• @Anonymous:

If Yamamoto was so great why did he divide his superior fleet all over the ocean for the Midway operation? He sent two carriers to the Aluetians when they could have been put to good use off Midway. Why not concentrate all your strenght in one place and just hammer your opponent with everything you have?

Firstly, he knew that Nagumo’s incompetence from Pearl Harbor would cause him trouble and it would be better to save 2 carriers than to risk losing 4. Secondly, the army who controlled the government and subsequently controlled Yamamoto’s allocation of resrouces, demanded that he divert ships and carriers to support the land invasions which had been planned for the Aleutians and eventually Alaska and Hawaii. The army also refusedto allow him to go into battle himself or to put certain ships at risk that they felt were important.

• Another memorable commander was Günther Prien, commander of the U 47.

He went into the port of Scapa Flow with his sub….
    have a look at:
    http://uboat.net/ops/scapa_flow.htm

Yes… one would imagine if the Germans had had their 300 U-Boats that Donitz wanted if not for Hitler.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m