• Sounds like NJ has a serious problem. Something similar has just started here, we call our tests WyCAS, but fortunately I haven’t seen it affect the quality of education. The High school I go to just started an International Baccelaurate program so those of us who have decided not to drop out of it (like a good 50% of those who started it did) are almost completely focused on college prep. IB has a nice effect on my classes too, not only are most of them smaller, but I only have to deal with widespread ignorance and the most annoyingly stupid in a couple of classes. knows he’s going to get beaten for being an elitist

• Its definately a problem in New Jersey. I’m lucky, not to be modest, but I don’t fall into a typical learning curve. Most of the smarter people in my class (those who had potential before being exposed to our Middle and High schools), fell into the ritual of Study for Test - Take Test - Forget test. We’re forced to learn the same thing (with little or no advancement) every single year in most classes. No one retains what they learn. Why? The habits taught by the teachers incourage short term memorization, not learning and understanding.

And, as our teaching staff gets younger and younger, we had 14 retire last year, the quality of education gets worse and worse.

• If we are just counting 1st Semester 02=03, I have a 4.0, if we are counting all semesters averaged I got a 3.96

Yes, Gym does count.

So I still have the best GPA (at least among Sophomores) (Yanny 3.6) (Strong Bad 3.88) Sometimes GPA doesn’t mean anything though.

Similiar to Yanny though, even though the standards are higher than a public school, I don’t really have to try hard except on papers, largely due to a combination of idiot classmates and my own above-average academic ability.

With that disclaimer, sans geometry and sentence fluency , I learn a lot more outside of school than in.

Go '05!

• for once, eh maybe 2 or 3 times i agree with u yanny. the NJ school pay to much attention on Standardized testing so they can be more prestigous and make more money. this has to stop. and just for the sake of it i am probably in the lowest 2% of my Class, the 05 class of Ramset High School. offcourse i am not proud of this but i just had to say it

• Would you rather a SImpson’s style race to the bottom (“don’t try to hard, the worse you do the more money we get”)

• no it is more like jojn the Marines when i turn 18 then die b4 30 so i will not have to experiance Civillian life in poverty ;)

• Eh, I come from inner city schools in Los Angeles, need I say more? :wink:

• Does anybody else agree that part of the reason that politicians put such an emphasis on public (and standardized) education is becuase we’re in a race to “compete” with other countries…?

• I admit, i’m ignorant of the American system, but this whole “competition thing” seems fruitless and self-defeating. It’s worse than NFL parity rules.
    Is there a point? I mean with this competition thing, the good schools get better, and the poorer schools sink to the bottem. Its perpetuating a big problem. I don’t understand why this is a good idea. It seems that schools should get money “according to its need” - $/student, or as the budget requires as established by a standard or something.
    Am i being naive?

• no u are being smart CC ;)

• Moses, yes you need to say more, and yes CC, you are being naivé.

THe U.S. spends more per student on education than any other country in the world, and yet on geometry and geography tests we consistently do worse.

This is not really about money. The problem is significantly deeper and more complex.

• well then inform us of this deepr Problem mate

• @DasEwokSS:

Problem

What the problem is has been the source of discussion and debate for decades. Is it parents? Culture? Laziness? Standardized tests? Not enough standardization? (France is very standardized) I don’t know.

What I do know is we have some of the best higher education in the world. We have the most advanced medicine, great reseqarch, and some of the best minds in the world. People from all over come and study, the combined tuition of foreign nationals (both given away and paid for) is larger than the GNP of many countries.

It is at the highschool level where we are really having trouble with the average level of education.

• Does anybody else agree that part of the reason that politicians put such an emphasis on public (and standardized) education is becuase we’re in a race to “compete” with other countries…?

The Americans should realize that there’s no possible way to compete with the other countries of the world (Germany, Japan, China, ect.). What Americans have is ingenuity and entrepreneurship, which will no longer be with us once Americans are forced to adhere to a written standard instead of being different. :-?

Moses, yes you need to say more,

Have you ever been forced to share books? “Hey, you three live close to each other, why don’t you share this English book together.”

[In 90+ degrees weather] “I’m sorry, but due to the money laundering by the school district there will be no air conditioning.”

[During 3 years of PE] "I’m sorry, but due to shortage of funds, 50 of your will be forced to share 1 ball.

Plenty more…

• That Royally Sucks. i feel very sorry for u mate and i only wish i could help u :(

• Moses has a good point, misuse of funds, which can be understood when you have money coming from 5 different levels of governenment often. Also, though we spend a lot, maybe a lot of it is spent on stuff like buracracy and lawyers, and not on things which are good.

• Then what was your use in asking? I naturally assumed every school district had this sort of problem, though I clearly see that is not the case… :-?

• Another example of misuse of Federal funds. My school gets new textbooks every 5-6 years. We upgrade our computers every other year or so.

All while some schools are forced to share books. Some schools barely have internet access, and we have 5 Computer labs. And we’re a lot smaller than Moses’s school I bet. Barely 1000 people.

I really disagree with Bush’s education reform bill. He’s taking money AWAY from the schools which need it most. My school doesn’t NEED another 100,000 grant for good test grades. We do fine without them.

Our State funds, we get huge grants each year (or rather, our teachers do). Schools in Newark or Jersey city need this money MUCH more than we do. But, because we break records and win awards, the teachers get payed more. Maybe give that money in the form of scholarships to the students who break the records and win the awards?

• We upgrade our computers every other year or so.

You upgrade your computer every year or so!? At the school I use to go to, our computer lab was under equipped with 20 33 MHz IBMs and about 4 I-Macs (always out of service) :-?

Anyways, I often debate with more enlightened students of would you rather have more betters or better teachers? The average class size here is 30+ students (it’s not uncommon to see cramped classes with 40 students), so more teachers might do some good at reducing class size. However, would rather have proven, “good” teachers. About each year, 1/2 our teachers are replaced (most with newbies) in an effort to reduce class size. I side more with the latter (better teachers), as I come to notice that a good teacher can still improve the performance a class of 40 students a lot more than a lukewarm teacher teaching a class of 20 students. However, good teachers aren’t dumb - they go to where the money is. So the smart, good teachers might flock to Yanny’s school instead of mine (which helps to keep the lower schools “down” with the higher school “up there”). Just my thoughts.

• You upgrade your computer every year or so!? At the school I use to go to, our computer lab was under equipped with 20 33 MHz IBMs and about 4 I-Macs (always out of service)

Not to brag, but right now I am working off a 256 Mb ram, 933 Pent III computer, in one of our labs.

About class sizes, our main subjects (English, History, Math) are in the 25-30 person range. In other classes and electives (Latin, Chemistry) probably 10-15 people per class.

Most of the older teachers are quite good. But the younger teachers, most of them need some teaching themselves. And the older teachers are retiring in droves.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m