• YAY Canada

• Our neighbours to the south can be very nice, even though they dont understand us at times.

• @yourbuttocks:

YOung people have this invincible feeling and believe that anything mundane like the government does not affect them.

Yeah, and they’re the ones I feel sorry for. I prefer not to say my age, but I’m young. I know government does affect me. (I live in California so believe me, I know it affects me. Their attitudes sicken me. They’re going to be the ones who, as adults, stand around after an election (that they probably didn’t vote in) saying, “Wha-, What happened?” Anyway, no word could possibly describe the extent of my disgust. :x

• size as in population and economy, silly Canadians

• @yourbuttocks:

size as in population and economy, silly Canadians

fastest growing economy in the G8
    Boo Yah!

• size as in population and economy, silly Canadians

Too true. What percentage Russian land can be used as an effective productive resource or town suitable for living? (ex. growing crops, city centers). How much of Canada is useable land (esp. in Northern Canada)?

If you say size as in the size of the land mass, then Canada is a superpower too!

Give yourself 50 years (assuming that Canada experiences good population growth), and I can see this happening…

fastest growing economy in the G8
    Boo Yah!

Same with Asia. They’re just playing a little “catch up” to the standards of the West. If your economy grows from 100 million to 200 million (100%), compared to if we grew from 100 billion to 150 billion (50%), who is really better off? :)

YOung people have this invincible feeling and believe that anything mundane like the government does not affect them.

Funny… and they think old peeps (by far the largest ratio of voters in the US) are mundane and senile… how ironic… :roll:

• @TG:

Then are you predicting an economic collapse?

No, what i predict i made clear in previous posts…

• No, what i predict i made clear in previous posts

Heh, looks like you didn’t. :-?

• @EmuGod:

Our neighbours to the south dont understand us at times.

you can say that again

• Our neighbors to the North don’t understand us at times… :-?

• @TG:

No, what i predict i made clear in previous posts

Heh, looks like you didn’t. :-?

Ignorance, arrogance, importing foreign top workers and becoming dependant on importing them as none will be raised from the own population…… along these lines

• Ignorance

explain.

i

mporting foreign top workers and becoming dependant on importing them as none will be raised from the own population

explain.

• @TG:

Ignorance

explain.

I will explain by examples:
    How many percent of US citizens can point out Afghanistan and/or the Iraq on a map?
    Why are people from aborad asked questions like “do you have showers/cars/computers in xxx?”

i

mporting foreign top workers and becoming dependant on importing them as none will be raised from the own population

explain.

How many US-american born and raised people start to study math, physics, chemistry, biology, etc. … how many on the other hand study law?
    How many Post-Docs at Universities in the US come from overseas?

• How many percent of US citizens can point out Afghanistan and/or the Iraq on a map?

Let me give an example - out of all the US Citizens on this board, I bet that 100% can locate these two countries… :-?

Why are people from aborad asked questions like “do you have showers/cars/computers in xxx?”

Sure… F_alk do you have a computer/shower/car in Germany? :roll:
    Of course isn’t this as bad when people from aboard come and ask questions like, "Wow, you’re from California? You must surf and say “Dude” a lot. Ignorance? :-?

How many US-american born and raised people start to study math, physics, chemistry, biology, etc. … how many on the other hand study law?

Actually I know of quite many students in High School that went on to study your above subjects (quite many in biology in fact - UCSD 8)). And what’s wrong with law?

What %?

• @TG:

How many percent of US citizens can point out Afghanistan and/or the Iraq on a map?

Let me give an example - out of all the US Citizens on this board, I bet that 100% can locate these two countries… :-?

thats becuse thetr smart

• @TG:

A test of 3000 people each, ages from 18-24, from different countries showed:
    12.5% of the US americans in the age of 18-24 (that’s the age of the soldiers) did know where to find the Iraq. 11% could not find the US on a world map. 25% knew the order of magnitude of the population of the USA (which is: saying something from 150 - 350 millions instead of the 287 millions). About one third of the people thought in a scale of 1 to 2 billions inhabitants. 36% of the (young!) US-citizens did speak a second language (only the UK and Japan rated worse here with 35% and 19%).

You should be able to find this in the “National Geographic”

Sure… F_alk do you have a computer/shower/car in Germany? :roll:
    Of course isn’t this as bad when people from aboard come and ask questions like, "Wow, you’re from California? You must surf and say “Dude” a lot. Ignorance? :-?

Hey, this means, the questioner knows:
    (1) California is coastal
    (2) California has great waves
    (3) The stereotypical Californian is thought to be pretty relaxed.

That is more than a questioning someone where the car/computer was invented wether they have cars or computers :)

Actually I know of quite many students in High School that went on to study your above subjects (quite many in biology in fact - UCSD 8)). And what’s wrong with law?

Do you know wether they plan to/will stop after a BSc, or go on to a MSc or PhD?

What %?

Post-docs: the people who have a PhD, but are no Profs (yet)… and work in research. It’s mainly used for people working at unis and things like the NIST.

• Although i spent considerable time working in research with post-docs, i never really got why they did that. I assumed that was until they racked up enough papers to be considered for an academic/other teaching position in a university, 'cuz i don’t think the money was that good.
    And yes - many (many) of them were Chinese. At the same time, most of the grad-students were Canadian (some of which went to Hong Kong . . . ).

• A test of 3000 people each, ages from 18-24, from different countries showed:

From different countries!?

1. California is coastal

Exactly what % of Californian land is located by the coast? “You’re from LA, whoa you must go surfing a lot!” Yeah considering it’s over an hour drive, and we’re talking of a city more western in CA…

California has great waves

We do? :)

The stereotypical Californian is thought to be pretty relaxed

Ha, I wish it it to be true. :)

Do you know wether they plan to/will stop after a BSc and MSc.

Depending on the subject (ex. math, physics), mostly MSc or BSs. But that’s the way it should be. You do not expect 100% of all college students go on to earn PhDs.

Post-docs: the people who have a PhD, but are no Profs (yet)… and work in research. It’s mainly used for people working at unis and things like the NIST.

I say quite many profs.

And yes - many (many) of them were Chinese. At the same time, most of the grad-students were Canadian (some of which went to Hong Kong . . . ).

Good. 8)

• @TG:

1. California is coastal

Exactly what % of Californian land is located by the coast? “You’re from LA, whoa you must go surfing a lot!” Yeah considering it’s over an hour drive, and we’re talking of a city more western in CA…

now there is a figure not even Californians know. I couldn’t even answer the simple question “what % of Manitoba boarders water bodies” or “is coastal”.
    And we have a cottage 2.5 hours away - my dad would say that he windsurfs a lot (well, less now 'cuz it just doesn’t present as much of a challenge to him.

Do you know wether they plan to/will stop after a BSc and MSc.

Depending on the subject (ex. math, physics), mostly MSc or BSs. But that’s the way it should be. You do not expect 100% of all college students go on to earn PhDs.

i heard something like 5% of B.Sc.'s went to get their M.Sc., and 1% went on to their PhD’s (i.e. 20% of people with their M.Sc.'s went on to do their PhD’s) - at least i believe that’s true of Canadians.

• i heard something like 5% of B.Sc.'s went to get their M.Sc., and 1% went on to their PhD’s (i.e. 20% of people with their M.Sc.'s went on to do their PhD’s) - at least i believe that’s true of Canadians.

Could be.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m