NFL Preseason Super Bowl predictions

• @ABWorsham:

It is when Titans gave him every chance to be the leader of the team, they wasted years on this guy.  He can’t make many types of NFL throws. He buckled under the pressure of the Titans, what will he do when we is asked to lead the Eagles and fails, those fans are harsh, they will make his life hell.

I disagree.  He had a solid QB rating.  The Titans had a losing record without him, and a winning record with him (by a considerable margin between the two).  He dug the Titans out of  a winless 2009 season to go .500  The only problem he had really was injuries and being new.  I think he’s fine for a backup and even a starter for many teams.

My question to you is how can you criticize the Eagles for their backup QB when you’ve got the Packers with a backup of mostly unknown ability (one good game, one bad game) and the Chargers with an old QB that has posted some decent numbers but far too infrequently and not at all recently.

In a serious conversation about backup QBs, Young will always be mentioned before Flynn and Volek.

• You are forgeting Volek’s playoff victory over the Colts? Volek is a top ten backup qb.

I watched Flynn play football for Robert E. Lee Red Raiders in Tyler, Texas; where he won a State Championship and for LSU where he won a National Championship. Sure he was a 7th round pick, but wasn’t Matt Cassel a no name guy. Flynn has had several years to work in that system and Green Bay has a history of producing good back ups.

Vince Young is worshiped in Austin, Texas. His college and high school fame has led to a poor work ethic. He is a great athlete, but he is the worst passer in the NFL. He has never corrected his throwing motion. He divided a coaching staff and ownership. It’s well known that he can not read defenses.

I picked Green Bay because they are a difficult to matchup with and they have depth. And I picked Chargers because I figure sooner or later a good team will make a run, if they can get special teams working.

• @ABWorsham:

You are forgeting Volek’s playoff victory over the Colts? Volek is a top ten backup qb.

That was one drive, 4 years ago.  You’re pinning everything on that?  The man has barely played the 10 or so years he’s been around.

I watched Flynn play football for Robert E. Lee Red Raiders in Tyler, Texas; where he won a State Championship and for LSU where he won a National Championship. Sure he was a 7th round pick, but wasn’t Matt Cassel a no name guy. Flynn has had several years to work in that system and Green Bay has a history of producing good back ups.

Young won a National Championship too.  What good GB backups can you name besides Rodgers?  Who was a 1st round pick, by the way (so was Vince, but 3rd overall).

Vince Young is worshiped in Austin, Texas. His college and high school fame has led to a poor work ethic. He is a great athlete, but he is the worst passer in the NFL. He has never corrected his throwing motion. He divided a coaching staff and ownership. It’s well known that he can not read defenses.

Obviously has his flaws, but he’s not a bad QB.  Again, winning record with the Titans when he was in, very losing record when he was out.  He’s a superb backup QB, in my opinion.  Top 5, guaranteed.

I picked Green Bay because they are a difficult to matchup with and they have depth. And I picked Chargers because I figure sooner or later a good team will make a run, if they can get special teams working.

No doubt, but it was just a strange focus on the backup QB.  I think the Eagles have the Packers and Chargers beat, in that respect.  I also think the Chargers will choke in the playoffs again, and the Packers will have an upset late season (after starting strong riding the win of last year).  The Patriots to me appeared strong on paper and even more so after Monday.

Of course this is all coming out of my arse.  I’d like to take a closer look no sooner than week 4.

• Volek is one the highest paid back ups. Chargers have enough faith in him to paid him very well, which says a lot in a salery cap system.

Green Bay has a great history with back up qb’s, Aaron Rogers, Matt Hasselbeck and Mark Brunell.

I have to ask you this question, you admit Young has flaws and still is a top 5 qb? My list of top NFL qb’s are Brady, Manning, Rogers, Phillips and Brees. I consider these qb’s to have very little flaws.

With that said, its good to be talking NFL football. Take care friend.

• @ABWorsham:

Volek is one the highest paid back ups. Chargers have enough faith in him to paid him very well, which says a lot in a salery cap system.

Green Bay has a great history with back up qb’s, Aaron Rogers, Matt Hasselbeck and Mark Brunell.

I have to ask you this question, you admit Young has flaws and still is a top 5 qb? My list of top NFL qb’s are Brady, Manning, Rogers, Phillips and Brees. I consider these qb’s to have very little flaws.

With that said, its good to be talking NFL football. Take care friend.

No, no, I was saying Top 5 backup QB.  I don’t know where I would place him for starters, but definitely not that high.  I like your Top 5 list actually.  I’d almost include Romo if he didn’t habitually fall apart and give away games in the 4th quarter.

Yes, good talking.  I’m glad the NFL is back.  :mrgreen:

• '10

Young won a National Championship too.  What good GB backups can you name besides Rodgers?  Who was a 1st round pick, by the way (so was Vince, but 3rd overall).

In the last 20 years, the following were backups in GB: Brett Favre, Ty Detmer, Mark Brunell, Jim McMahon, Doug Pederson, Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselback, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Flynn.  All either started for other teams, start, or will start.

• The BILLS don’t win so long as I’m alive

sorry gant but you dont have long to live  :evil:

• @johnnymarr:

In the last 20 years, the following were backups in GB: Brett Favre, Ty Detmer, Mark Brunell, Jim McMahon, Doug Pederson, Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselback, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Flynn.  All either started for other teams, start, or will start.

Thanks for that.  I don’t doubt GB’s QB program, I just couldn’t think of any besides Rodgers recently (and, well, Favre, but that’s been since I was a freaking kid).  Although I wouldn’t consider GB as producing all of those guys, they do have some history.

• My must watch game of the week is Pats vs Chargers. I think Chargers take this one. Two great offensives, but Pats defense concerns me where Chargers have a decent defense.

• Ok. Being a Pats fan since I was 6 years old, and being 40 now, I’ve never, ever thought the Patriots would win the SB going into the season. Ever!

This year, it just feels right. Even before the Miami game, I’ve been saying to friends that every angle is covered - offense looks excellent with 2 TEs featured and the addition of Solder, defense looks stout with switch to 3-4 and maturation of young players/addition of DL vets. Special teams very solid. Short preseason, Brady + Belichick. All signs point to…

Patriots over Green Bay. 24 - 17.

• @Stalingradski:

Ok. Being a Pats fan since I was 6 years old, and being 40 now, I’ve never, ever thought the Patriots would win the SB going into the season. Ever!

This year, it just feels right. Even before the Miami game, I’ve been saying to friends that every angle is covered - offense looks excellent with 2 TEs featured and the addition of Solder, defense looks stout with switch to 3-4 and maturation of young players/addition of DL vets. Special teams very solid. Short preseason, Brady + Belichick. All signs point to…

Patriots over Green Bay. 24 - 17.

I second that. I like the Patriots too althouh they are my second team. My first is the one that lives in Kansas City but we won’t go there this year with as bad as they look. 3 games and 3 starters out with knee injuries. Not good. I like the Patriots in the SB this year against either Green Bay or maybe even the Saints. Anybody but the g-men. Ugh!

• darkhorse. no pats steelers ravens packers (idiots) falcons saints jets etc. go panthers

• The general rule with new QB’s is that once teams have about 4 games of film on them they can start game planning in depth. Newton’s task will get harder.

• '10

packers (idiots)

SuperBowl Champion 3-0 idiots.

• I’m changing mine to Bills and Lions.  :mrgreen:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m