Do Jews Have a Right to Representation? Some Think Not.

• Jacques Parizeau a nazi? I don’t think so. Maybe a small f fascist. He blamed the minorities in Quebec for the loss of the 95 referendum.

• There are more than 15 million Jews in the world. When I find my Almanac I’ll give you a number.

• I’ll find my Jewish resources and ask Jewish professors and consult books. Believe me there are only 15 million Jews in the world. 0.25% of the world’s population are Jews. It seems as though there are more because the JEws still make an impacton the world.

• @Yanny:

I love how whenever a Jewish person is critized, they accuse someone of being an Anti-Semi.

Look, theres 10x more hate towards Muslims in this country than Jews. There are 16 million Jews and 20 Million Muslims living in the US, and the Jews have 10x more political power. Why were people throwing rocks at Netanyaho? Probably because if he becomes Prime Minister again he’ll be responsibly for the deaths of hundreds. Oh, and he’s a hero in Israel, worse than Sharon.

I need to be careful here, as i’ve as many Jewish friends as Muslim friends, but with regards to your “10x more hate” - an unquanitfiable statistic, but assuming it is correct, i’m curious - how many Jews have targetted Americans for violence - bombings, etc.? How many Jews have contributed to the economic, political and social wellbeing in America. My guess is that those numbers are inverse nearly to the extreme ends. Now granted, one may very easily say the same about the vast majority of Muslims as well, but it’s hard to turn a blind eye to the hate targetted towards Americans.

Wake up, your the least likely group in this hemisphere for there to be another Halocaust against. I live in probably the most Jewish Area of the country. And our teachers are so afraid of being sued by AA that every single registered Jew I can think of in my school is in all Honors class and never gets in trouble, especially when they are due for it like us all. Most of them don’t deserve to be in the classes they are.

Jews are MORE THAN EQUAL to the majority in this country. Get over it.

I certainly hope you are correct about the “holocaust” prediction, however that is not the Jewish people’s main concern today. Far too many of their synagogues are firebombed, their day cares riddled with bullets, their rabbis and members killed in the streets for being “Jewish”. And not so much by Muslims as by white Americans.
    And i don’t believe that Jews are more than equal to the majority, except in terms of their values and they way they appreciate them. Few cultures seem to value education, family, hard work and enterprise to the same extent as the Jews, and their success in America is incredible, particularly given the fact that so many started off with so little as refugees.
    I don’t know why i’m such a strong Jewish sympathizer. It must be because i relate these people to my own to a degree. Either that, or i’ve been blessed with a profound sense of their history.

• @Fin:

And Fin, of course you’re not going to hear of French being aggressive against the English. You are being fed one source of information. Even 60 minutes did a long clip on the intolerance towards English culture in Quebec.

I am sure the english are very tolerant towards Quebec, you just 2 or 3 time said completly racist things about Quebec, you even refer Mr Parizeau as being nazy, if that is not ignorance i don’t know what it is. And you, you are not fed up with one source i suppose, you are pure objectivity ?

Unless you in your foolishness carry a Canadian flag. Try that in Quebec city, primarily around St. Jean Baptiste day. If you manage to live through the day, i would be most interested in your experiences.

As a matter of fact i’ve seen lots of Canadian flag in Montreal, not on Quebec (a very beatifull city), but in montreal yes…

If i said completely racist things about Quebec, and considering my own sense of honesty and integrity, then either i am speaking from false belief - unlikely given the time i have spent in Quebec and seen with my own eyes what happens there, or else i am telling the truth. Frankly, i’m not even remembering exactly what i said which is so racist, but it is very likely true and not likely to be a stereotype.
    As for my sources, they come from many places. Admittedly due to my own poor French skills, not directly from the French media (it’s typically translated for me).
    As for Parizeau - to belief something is true or did happen is not so ignorant as to believe something is not true or did not happen. Does ignorance about something mean i’m going to make it up? Thankfully the man has finally been discarded to the waste-baskets of history. He would be scary if he acceded to true power.
    Finally you are right. Montreal is a great city, and it is a Canadian gem. I’ve always said that. Quebec city too is a beautiful city, and a historical treasure. Just hide your flag and your federalism there on St. Jean Baptiste day, and you’ll make it through the day.

• I don’t know of very many Jews that live in my neighborhood… :-?

• theres this Jewish kid in my school lol his name is Zack and he is the most pathetic Human being in the world. im not sure if hes a male or female u know one of those kinds. when ever he gets into a predicament or argument he simply dtates hes Jewish, like he deserves special treatment or somtin. hes realley funny to scare lol :)

• If i said completely racist things about Quebec, and considering my own sense of honesty and integrity, then either i am speaking from false belief - unlikely given the time i have spent in Quebec and seen with my own eyes what happens there, or else i am telling the truth. Frankly, i’m not even remembering exactly what i said which is so racist, but it is very likely true and not likely to be a stereotype.

When someone link a social and bright party like the PQ to nazism like you did, then to say “vive l’ADQ”, considering they want to smash syndicalism, destroy employment security, privatising education and healthcare; there is two options, 1; you don’t know what nazism is, 2; you know nothing about the PQ and the ADQ.

Thankfully the man has finally been discarded to the waste-baskets of history. He would be scary if he acceded to true power.

He was a very brilliant politician, economist and intellectual (…and the only politician from quebec i know). The federal governement even ask him for help, and you certainly know that they don’t like him very much.

• Pardon me back there, I forgot to read the footnote in my Alamanac.

16 Million Jews, includes Half-Jews.
    20 Million Muslims, includes Half-Muslims.

Come to New Jersery, to Paterson or somewhere. I want you to find a Mosque who’s windows have not been smashed at least twice.

• Yanny, there are no such things as half-Jews and that statistic is way off. It is particularly impossible considering that there were 18 million Jews in the world before the Holocaust. 6 million of them died making 12 million left over. You honestly believe that there was such a boom in Judaism? There was definetely not. The only way what you claim is possible is if there was a mass conversion to Judaism, which never happened. I’ll write down my sources for the true number of Jews in the world, 15 million.

• Definition of Jewish (or of any other religion) according to this Almanac: Anyone with a Jewish Parent.

• @Fin:

If i said completely racist things about Quebec, and considering my own sense of honesty and integrity, then either i am speaking from false belief - unlikely given the time i have spent in Quebec and seen with my own eyes what happens there, or else i am telling the truth. Frankly, i’m not even remembering exactly what i said which is so racist, but it is very likely true and not likely to be a stereotype.

When someone link a social and bright party like the PQ to nazism like you did, then to say “vive l’ADQ”, considering they want to smash syndicalism, destroy employment security, privatising education and healthcare; there is two options, 1; you don’t know what nazism is, 2; you know nothing about the PQ and the ADQ.

you forgot #3 - i havn’t compared the PQ to Nazis (yet), and it’s possible that the ADQ would be good for Canada, whereas the PQ isn’t even good for Quebec. Don’t forget about #4 - i’ve lived in and outside of Quebec, my last 2 roommates have been francophone (including one from Quebec), i actually LIVE in Canada, reading exclusively Canadian and American news reports, i’ve seen Parizeau (admittedly on English news channels), and your sources are whom? Some pro-PQ in-laws?

Thankfully the man has finally been discarded to the waste-baskets of history. He would be scary if he acceded to true power.

He was a very brilliant politician, economist and intellectual (…and the only politician from quebec i know). The federal governement even ask him for help, and you certainly know that they don’t like him very much.

• No offense, but I find people in Quebec (city) and Montreal are very hostile to outsiders. Kinda like the French.

• I go to Canada a lot to visit friends and family a lot, but usually more of West Canada (BQ, Alberta mainly) than the East (except for Toronto). I guess to me, the East is more like the no-no zone. :)

So if Quebec suceeds from the Canada, United States will be the largest country in North America? Good. 8)

• you forgot #3 - i havn’t compared the PQ to Nazis (yet)

hazzz ??? No ???… but in the topic “Canadian Parties” you said;

Jacques Parizeau is a lunatic. He and Hitler would have got along well, my friend.

I bet you cannot give me even one thing Parizeau is doing like Hitler.

and it’s possible that the ADQ would be good for Canada, whereas the PQ isn’t even good for Quebec.

#1; PQ is not using money from taxes to promote Separation. (or if they do it’s very new because i am not as informed as i was about quebec).

#2; Quebec’s economy is doing very well since the PQ is there, search for stats if you don’t believe me

i’ve seen Parizeau (admittedly on English news channels), and your sources are whom? Some pro-PQ in-laws?

Being Canadian does not mean you are right, saying Parizeau is like Hitler show me how “rational” you are on the subject. I’ve been at Quebec (mostly Quebec city), not very often but the parents of my wife are there, i also have some contact with the Université Laval and i’ve read some things about their situation, not just book from Quebec point of view but a very funny book called “The Antagonist” and another i don’t remember, and more recently “Le livre noir du Canada anglais”.

• E_G_, I said it was in the article … the Arab opinion.

F_k, It’s a different kind of Holocaust. A little more subtle.

@F_k:

2nd: How do europeans “eliminate the guilt of 60+ years”? Who is erasing names from the monuments?

Guilt is not my problem … it’s theirs. This is documented in Poland. A Polish girl did research and found the current town mayor and others in power had supportedthe Nazis. Then had removed the names from a monument.
    @Mr:

[That’s funny, I live here in Canada and when the french wanted to separate the majority of the non french Canadian were fine with seperation. The problem was that Quebec didn’t want to be their own country, they just wanted special status in Canada.
    Which, of course, no one on the outside is going to go for.
    It was just a small percentage of French-Canadians in Quebec who really wanted the changes. Most of which were people with powerful political positions.

The vote was close if I recall. So the “small percentage of French-Canadians in Quebec who really wanted the changes” and the Anglos who could vote on this issue voted to secede? Then the Anglos were gonna leave and let Quebec go its on way? :P - Xi

• Separatism in Quebec is basically dead. The federal government can decide what the percentage of votes toward separatism are required so that Quebec can leave. Until another referendum, the federal government will hold this supreme court ruling in its pocket. 66% should be enough to kill separatism for good.

• @Anonymous:

you forgot #3 - i havn’t compared the PQ to Nazis (yet)

hazzz ??? No ???… but in the topic “Canadian Parties” you said;

Jacques Parizeau is a lunatic. He and Hitler would have got along well, my friend.

I bet you cannot give me even one thing Parizeau is doing like Hitler…

• well, that’s a long way from calling the PQ Nazi’s, and calling Quebec racist, isn’t it?
    • from B’Nai Brith
      In October and November, the Quebec referendum also produced a flurry of bigotry directed at the non-Francophone population of the province. Jacques Parizeau, who was then premier of Quebec, lashed out at “the ethnic vote” for the narrow losses of his separatist forces. In earlier stages of the referendum campaign, Pierre Bourgault, a communications advisor to Parizeau, cryptically warned Quebec Jews of “a dangerous situation” if they openly supported the federalist side.

The significance of these events cannot be overstated. While the comments made by the politicians or the broadcasters were by no means as virulently intolerant as the charged rhetoric of the neo-Nazi right, their remarks served as signals that expressions of hatred and bias against Jews and other minorities were acceptable in contemporary Canadian culture. For political leaders and media personalities to espouse views hostile to Jews gives a message to the general population: anti-Semitism continues to be part of the canon of our culture. The press and politicians set the tone and terms of debate in our free and democratic state. They have the responsibility to condemn, not to promote, racism. Unfortunately, in 1995, this ideal was seriously compromised.

• From the World Jewish Congress
      Money and the ethnic vote" were responsible for the defeat of the Quebec separatists in the recent referendum. “We will reap our revenge in our own country”, thundered Jacques Parizeau. While those words resulted in the Parti Quebecois [PQ] chief’s immediate resignation, they continue to reverberate. It has been suggested by some analysts that Parizeau’s speech may have been a deliberate attempt to strike fear into the hearts of the minority population in order to encourage them to leave Quebec.

• question. Who will this revenge be exacted upon? Upon the 51% who voted “no”? On the handful of minorities who voted no? Do you know why nearly all of the minorities including the Jews and aboriginals voted No? Can you guess? Is it because of Parizeau’s (and the PQ’s) overly kind attitude towards them?
      Please. A German lecturing me on being racist against other caucasians, when i havn’t said anything racist about them, but rather expressed concern over their treatment of minorities.

#1; PQ is not using money from taxes to promote Separation. (or if they do it’s very new because i am not as informed as i was about quebec).

#2; Quebec’s economy is doing very well since the PQ is there, search for stats if you don’t believe me

Their economy has been up and down. They have lost many businesses, including the head-quarters of many large companies which over the years have moved west. They have contained thier economy since the “no” vote, but until then it had been going down the crapper.

Being Canadian does not mean you are right, saying Parizeau is like Hitler show me how “rational” you are on the subject.

no, being Canadian does not make me right, however it does make me better informed, and much more affected by these events.
    As for how “rational” i am on the subject, well, i’ll stick by my sentiments with regards to Parizeau. Simply telling me that he is brilliant (something i won’t contest) and his help has been requested by the federal gov’t (big deal - most politicians are idiots - one more or less hardly makes a difference here) does little to make me consider that my previous concerns were irrational. I’m quite certain that many mad, evil, racist, fascist dictators who ruled with considerable power over entire countries in this century might be considered brilliant tactically. That does not make them good, wise, etc.
    “We will reap our revenge in our own country”, thundered Jacques Parizeau.
    Thank God that was in late 20th Century Canada - who knows what those remarks might have provoked in another time (50 years earlier) in another place (say . . . Germany?)

• @E_G_:

Anti-semitism is on the rise again.

I agree … with a spin. Here in the USA we had an attack 4 July, 2002, on an El Al Airline desk, by an Arab Muslim. It got almost no coverage since it wasn’t Isreal attacking poor, defenseless Palestinians or an angry blonde haired, blue-eyed white guy. We were all “on alert” for an attack and I won’t go so far as to say the Arab was part of a terrorist cell, but the gov’t. and the liberal media overdid the non-event non-coverage. Though it might have been covered well on local channels in CA.
    @c_c_:

And Fin, of course you’re not going to hear of French being aggressive against the English. You are being fed one source of information. Even 60 minutes did a long clip on the intolerance towards English culture in Quebec.

What’s this ? A Canajin gettin sensationalist news from the US liberal media? Don’t you believe it! :wink:
    @Y:

16 Million Jews, includes Half-Jews.
    20 Million Muslims, includes Half-Muslims.

I’d say this was derived from gov’t census/statistics. Most religions do not consider you an adherent if you 1/2 your ancestory was of that faith. I think you’ll find that, in most cases, anyone who is half something and half something else will, in the end, be neither. Unless one of the halves was a secular humanist. :roll:
    @E_G_:

Separatism in Quebec is basically dead.

Darn! and I was so looking forward to easy pickins in a coupla short wars. :P
    Let’s see, Add 11 new stars to the flag (50+11=61). 61 stars would best be displayed as 5 rows of 5 stars each, positioned individually between 6 rows of 6 stars each. The blue field may have to go one stripe deeper.
    @F_S:

Not false at all, jew seem to be the universal …
    I think there is a social reason, not a spiritual one, to anti-semitism, it’s propably why people from all classes and most ideology are “using” the jew as bouc émissaire. Jews are impossible to assimilate, they remain jew, they have a different religion and an interpretation of their people that can be considered a little egocentric. So they are often attacked, for no real reason, they are just jew, the universal bouc émissaire… quite sad.

Yup. Radical Black (liberal) Americans pick on them “becase they [a smaller minority and rich] keep the Blacks down (out of power/$).” -Louis Farrakhan
    Radical White (liberal and conservative) Americans pick on them ‘becase they are rich and trying to/have taken over.’
    Arab countries use the Jews/Israel as a scapegoat :P for their problems. When, in reality, they need to examine their own governments for a big part of the problems.
    A handful find it easier to blame someone else (Jews, for example)for their problems. One charismatic speaker picks up the clarion call and, voila, you’ve got the KKK, Nation of Islam, Jonestown, Waco (American examples).
    –--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another day, another war. - Xi

• Though it might have been covered well on local channels in CA

Yeah, kinda of sucks. I think a couple of people died before the gunner was shot down.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m