What the USA Can Do to Save the World . . .

• Seems to me when we help nations, they dislike us more than before. Yes Yanny the rich give moiney to the poor. Not not every problem can be solved by throwing money at it.

• t is our duty as the strongest nation to help people out. We are, directly and indirectly, accountable for many of the world’s woes. Europe sees this, that continent is sorry for the imperialism it has caused. We need to stand up and help. We enjoy argueably the best standard of life in the world. I believe in Karma. We help people, we get help back

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.”

Seems to me when we help nations, they dislike us more than before. Yes Yanny the rich give moiney to the poor. Not not every problem can be solved by throwing money at it.

Agreed.

• I was quoting Roussau (sp), the French philosophe.

• @Deviant:Scripter:

LOL Jazz…suddenly the liberals seem to think it’s our responsibility to fix everyone elses mistakes. Seems to me like we got enough problems of our own.

Besides, name one country that wants America coming in to their country to “fix” it.

The Kurds would love America to fix their problems.

• I wonder how often this topic was discussed in the tearooms of the British empire from the time of the battle of Trafalgar until WWII?

I don’t think it’s up to America to save the world. It’s up to the countries with the wherewithal to forgo politics and consider that eventually the money will come back to them.
    I don’t believe any country will become impoverished by helping another.

We also need our gov’ts to invoke appropriate consultation measures - to avoid wasting valuable resources in places that don’t need them, or are going to feed armies.

(i’m shifting this from “America” to any country with resources, abilities and a social conscience)

• @EmuGod:

@Deviant:Scripter:

LOL Jazz…suddenly the liberals seem to think it’s our responsibility to fix everyone elses mistakes. Seems to me like we got enough problems of our own.

Besides, name one country that wants America coming in to their country to “fix” it.

The Kurds would love America to fix their problems.

I agree, the Kurds would love us to come and fix their problems.

We help people, we get help back.

Wrong. When we help people, we get nothing but crap. We get complaints about how we didn’t do enough or went about doing it the wrong way. Seems pretty selfish to me.

Yanni, I would agree that it would be the moral thing to do. But politically, I don’t see it working for us. As T_6 mentioned, there are many problems that will not be solved by America dumping money into it. There are many other problems that cannot be solved by America, no matter how hard we try.

• We get dumped for helping where it is not needed, or helping by trying to kill someone and not worrying about people. If we concentrate on clear cut goals, we can help the world. Wars like Iraq are the problem, thats where the international community starts to hate us. We had plenty of support in Afganistan.

• Actually, the UN itself said that “Unless Saddam is 100% disarmed, he poses a clear and present danger to the safety of the world.”

Is he 100% disarmed? I think not.

Did UN weapons inspectors help with that process at all? I think not.

Now, if the US was to sit back and not do anything about Iraq, and Saddam attacked Israel or gassed the Kurds again, who do you think would take the most criticism for being passive? You guessed it…

It’s a lose-lose situation for the United States regardless of what we do.

• Why is support an issue. Whoopty do, we had support in the Gulf War. How many of the supporting countries did something worth while? How many provided units, I dont mean a Jet ski and a shotgun, I mean units that were combat ready and trusted. Heck, for that matter how many sent troops to Afgan, where we had so much support according to Yanny?

• @Jazz:

Why is support an issue. Whoopty do, we had support in the Gulf War. How many of the supporting countries did something worth while? How many provided units, I dont mean a Jet ski and a shotgun, I mean units that were combat ready and trusted. Heck, for that matter how many sent troops to Afgan, where we had so much support according to Yanny?

Canadians sent over 5000 troops and support personnel including our highly trained Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry - several of which were honored by the Americans for their contributions in Operation Whale and a number of other ones. Our snipers provided excellent support for American infantry in Afghanistan as well.
    In operation desert storm i recall at least once that Canadian air forces helped an American fighter, in addition to other support that our air forces and navy played in engaging the enemy. Plus the British and other land forces were present - usually getting killed by American friendly fire, however they were there (i just about added “you jerk” but recalled that you have made intelligent comments on this forum before, and that i’m only angry right now, but that doesn’t mean that you’re a jerk all the time).
    Also this isn’t about military support - the military actions of a nation has far reaching implications in diplomatic realms which may have consequences on American citizens and businesses, both at home and abroad. The world is not just America and Iraq.

• Canadians sent over 5000 troops and support personnel including our highly trained Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry - several of which were honored by the Americans for their contributions in Operation Whale and a number of other ones. Our snipers provided excellent support for American infantry in Afghanistan as well.
    In operation desert storm i recall at least once that Canadian air forces helped an American fighter, in addition to other support that our air forces and navy played in engaging the enemy.

Poor Brits - they complained about lack of action. :-?

Plus the British and other land forces were present - usually getting killed by American friendly fire,

Friendly fire happens all the time, regardless of what country you’re from. What was it, we lost more soldiers from accidents and friendly fire than from combat during Desert Storm and Afghan?

The world is not just America and Iraq.

It seems like all we ever talk about.

• Why don’t we cancel all the world’s debts? Then we can start over. The US taxpayer won’t mind bailing out the greedy collapsing banking industry. To help the US understand what the world needs we can withhold all world aid for a time while the Us Congress initiates a 10 year study to determine the best course of action. This will also allow the US taxpayer to finish bailing out the banking industry.
    –------------------------------------------------------------
    “I once wanted to become an atheist, but I gave up -
    they have no holidays.” - Henny Youngman

Yeah, what’s with all these agnostics, atheists, and Wicken(great new made up namefor themselves)gettin’ holidays. Wicken might get Halloween, but that’s about it. Maybe theycan start their own unholidays(knowhutImean?)

• thanks for not insulting me CC, appreciated :D

• How about the US gives up Alaska to Canada? :wink:

• Sure, I hope the polar bears eat you alive! :wink:

• @EmuGod:

How about the US gives up Alaska to Canada? :wink:

Well, okay but Canada only gets the bottom half.
    We need to give the rest back to Russia. That will help their economy and add a couple more time zones to their tally. :)

Oh, but you can keep all the Inuit. we don’t want to brek up a matching set. :P
    –----------------------------------------------------
    “Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed.
    If I fail, no one will say, ‘She doesn’t have what it takes.’
    They will say, ‘Women don’t have what it takes.’” - Clare Boothe Luce

Nah! They already say that! they’ll say, ‘She’s a ditz.’ - Xi

• @TG:

Sure, I hope the polar bears eat you alive! :wink:

Actually, in the far north of my province (REALLY FAR) are polar bears that run amuck around some of our northern towns etc. I’m sure we can handle some panzy American polar bears.

• American Panzer Bears!
    :o Whoa, man, far out! - Xi
    –-------------------------------
    “The office of government is not to confer happiness,
    but to give men opportunity to work out happiness
    for themselves.” - William E. Channing

Hey, that’s not Democratic. - Xi

• Actually, in the far north of my province (REALLY FAR) are polar bears that run amuck around some of our northern towns etc. I’m sure we can handle some panzy American polar bears.

Ha, just you watch! Don’t bother runnin’ - you’ll just die tired. 8)

• Hey! Canada joined NORAD in order to help the Americans in the cold War. The least you guys could do is give us the entire state of Alaska.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m