• I’m having trouble understanding the dynamics of the pacific. Mostly, I will put the bulk of my US resources into building an atlantic fleet, and start shuttling forces to africa and eventually, if all goes well, europe.

But you start out with a BB +transport on pacific, and I don’t know what to do with it. In my games, J1 will mostly have destroyed the us force on SZ52, either all out, but often “light”, e.g. with cruiser, sub, fighter, and bomber.

So, my question is: What are good options for BB+transport during US1-3, and any additional forces you may keep/build in pacific, and in what cases should I prefer what options? Also, what to do with the destroyer (I mostly take that to atlantic)?

Options that I have tried:

-move BB +transport to atlantic side:
        Pro: more/earlier pressure on atlantic/africa/europe
      con: No pressure on Japan, leaves it free to make its own plans.
              Makes it easy for japan to take alaska, which in my experience will cause a drop in the efficiency of atlantic campaign because it forces you to defend, while the costs for Japan are quite limited.
    -Try to take/presssure one of Japans expensive islands (philipines/ borneo/east indies).
      pro: Forces japan to defend, taking and holding one of these islands will be very painful for J. 
      cons: Less pressure on atlantic.
                Is hard to pull of with just BB+transport+air. May require you to build some additional forces on pacific, which will further weaken / delay pressure on atlantic.

I never tried landing forces in Soviet far east/buryatia, or pressuring Japan itself, but I imagine the first may be a decent option early on?

• @MrMerguez:

I’m having trouble understanding the dynamics of the pacific. Mostly, I will put the bulk of my US resources into building an atlantic fleet, and start shuttling forces to africa and eventually, if all goes well, europe.

But you start out with a BB +transport on pacific, and I don’t know what to do with it. In my games, J1 will mostly have destroyed the us force on SZ52, either all out, but often “light”, e.g. with cruiser, sub, fighter, and bomber.

So, my question is: What are good options for BB+transport during US1-3, and any additional forces you may keep/build in pacific, and in what cases should I prefer what options? Also, what to do with the destroyer (I mostly take that to atlantic)?

Options that I have tried:

-move BB +transport to atlantic side:
        Pro: more/earlier pressure on atlantic/africa/europe
       con: No pressure on Japan, leaves it free to make its own plans.

This is the usual move if the US is focusing on one side of the board, on this case Europe.

Makes it easy for japan to take alaska, which in my experience will cause a drop in the efficiency of atlantic campaign because it forces you to defend, while the costs for Japan are quite limited.

Look again at the Japanese invasion of Alaska - Japan uses 1 of its transports to send 2 units to the US instead of sending them against the Soviets. The US can simply build armor on W.US to prevent it from being taken and then reconquer Alaska with them or send them towards E. Canada. The US merely has to adjust its buys and Japan sends at least 6 IPC to win a 2 IPC territory and loses 1 (if it leaves the INF on Alaska) or 2 transport movements (to bring the units back) - to me it’s a waste of Japanese resources specially since they can be better used against Russia.

-Try to take/presssure one of Japans expensive islands (philipines/ borneo/east indies).
       pro: Forces japan to defend, taking and holding one of these islands will be very painful for J. 
       cons: Less pressure on atlantic.
                Is hard to pull of with just BB+transport+air. May require you to build some additional forces on pacific, which will further weaken / delay pressure on atlantic.

You’ll have to go full Pacific (US only building to defeat Japan), otherwise it’s a waste of US resources.

I never tried landing forces in Soviet far east/buryatia, or pressuring Japan itself, but I imagine the first may be a decent option early on?

Trying to land units on SFE/Buryatia is the worst option - Japan can easily block it. Trying to pressure Japan itself is almost impossible to achieve since Japan can simply concentrate its fleet on SZ60 - the US needs to  make Japan split its fleet in order to advance.

• I understand correctly that you recommend either going all-pacific, or all atlantic?

I used to do go all atlantic, but I didn’t like that the BB “wasted” it’s first turn, while it could have allready pressured J by moving to SZ 44 (assuming J took SZ52 “light”), or even retaking SZ52 (even though this will probably involve losing the BB in the J2 counter attack). Against my opponents, giving Japan a lot of concerns early on, and making it choose how to divide is resources, regularly led them to take on too many things at once. But maybe I just played inexperiences players.

You’ll have to go full Pacific (US only building to defeat Japan), otherwise it’s a waste of US resources.

[When] would you recommend going full pacific?

• Completely agree with Hobbes on this…It’s a waste of resources and lost of objectivity if they go for Alaska…If I was US, I would always hope that Japan will take its eye off the ball (the fall of India and Russia).  The less troops in Asia, the better chances a counter to the German advance. I also agree it should be pretty much all in on either side naval wise.  There’s really no point to build anything Pacific if you have no intention of going after the Japanese fleet.  They can bottle up their fleet in one locale and pour troops into Asia/and have an IC to go with it.

Curious to see what Hobbes will say, but I would say go all out Pacific if Japan goes all out on Pearl and leaves it in bad position to reattack Pearl J2 (which would often be the case if it goes all out).  I would submerge my sub (save it for the counter), and then use every plane, the sub, and BB to erradicate the remaining Japanese fleet at Pearl…or if you didn’t do any damage in your defense, withdrawl the sub and DD to LA and build a CV w/2FTR and an additional DD (for 42) (This gives you 2DD,BB,SS,CV w/2F, plus a reserve of FTRs and the BMB).  That should retreat the Japanese fleet pretty quick.  From there on out it should be a combo of DD/SS and transports with troops to take every island from those dirty Japanese.  You’re buys should prevent/minimize any troops in Asia and protect the Russian front.  And if you want to be even more all out, reverse the KGF strat, and bring the CA and Transport from the Atlantic to the Pacific…But England and Russia need to set the stage first. (Protect India/hit Borneo/New Guinea and the Japanese transport with the Carrier to properly divide the Japanese fleet.  UK should distract Germany enough to slow the advance.

• @MrMerguez:

would you recommend going full pacific?

Check this http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26069.0 thread for a few pointers.

Curious to see what Hobbes will say, but I would say go all out Pacific if Japan goes all out on Pearl and leaves it in bad position to reattack Pearl J2 (which would often be the case if it goes all out).  I would submerge my sub (save it for the counter), and then use every plane, the sub, and BB to erradicate the remaining Japanese fleet at Pearl…or if you didn’t do any damage in your defense, withdrawl the sub and DD to LA and build a CV w/2FTR and an additional DD (for 42) (This gives you 2DD,BB,SS,CV w/2F, plus a reserve of FTRs and the BMB).

If Japan does a hard Pearl (all the fleet) then usually the US can’t counter it and should instead focus on Germany - sending all those ships to Hawaii has also the effect of making the Japanese fleet bare on Asia.

• Well not having played the Spring 42’ version I’ll base my theory on the original version as the US you go last, which is a good thing, in the respect that you get to react, which is much better then deciding on an action, you can judge where and when your needed and act accordingly, if Britain and Russia have Germany on the ropes concentrate mostly on the Pacific, if the they need help concentrate mostly on the atlantic.

now when Japan takes out my carrier in pearl I’ll build another and stock it with the fighters from the mainland with the california BB and transport as tag alongs, with those 3 and a transport or two more you have some island hoppers to invade the Japanese held islands with.

and if you can get Britain and Russia to kick Japan off the Asian land mass Japan will be done with.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m