• The problem with playing alone is that you can miss really simple things. For example, after analysing starting strategies at some length, in my second proper game playing axis, Russia hit MAN & UKR, and UK hit KWA, all on turn 1. This meant that the US plane in CHI, and the US fleet in HAW SZ could not be attacked.

Playing with another player will ensure that your mistakes are spotted.

Also, half the game is about second-guessing what your opponent is going to do - which way they will leap - whether they are going for the short easy kill or the longer war of attrition. In a game you have to consider all the possible attacks an opponent might make, and move your units to optimise your defence - when playing alone, it is far to easy to “predict” the other countries’ goals.

• The problem with playing alone is that you can miss really simple things. For example, after analysing starting strategies at some length, in my second proper game playing axis, Russia hit MAN & UKR, and UK hit KWA, all on turn 1. This meant that the US plane in CHI, and the US fleet in HAW SZ could not be attacked.

Playing with another player will ensure that your mistakes are spotted.

Also, half the game is about second-guessing what your opponent is going to do - which way they will leap - whether they are going for the short easy kill or the longer war of attrition. In a game you have to consider all the possible attacks an opponent might make, and move your units to optimise your defence - when playing alone, it is far to easy to “predict” the other countries’ goals.

• No…im stupid?!

• I do that all the time! If no one wants to play I play by myself. And usually I play as if there were more players but it is impossible to do a trick attack on yourself.

• you’re not stupid! i used a “Troy McClure” quote.

and to my surprise, when i play, i surprise myself! i try to anticipate what i would do. it took my about 2 and a half hours to finish a turn…but it was worth it.

• I’ve never played by myself, but I’m about to resort to it. I am having a very hard time finding someone to play with. It’s my own fault for falling out of touch with the group I used to play with. I do sometimes set up the board and spend time just staring and imagining moves and countermoves.

• that’s sad! what happened?

• '19 Moderator

The same thing happend to me. I lost touch with most of the people I played with. About a year ago, when I registered here, I started looking on the net and found quite a few players in my area. I knew if I looked hard enough there would be players out there.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona Where belive it or not there are over 3 millon people(including suburbs)

Red

[ This Message was edited by: dezrtfish on 2002-03-27 15:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dezrtfish on 2002-03-27 15:32 ]

• Yes second guessing plays a vital role in how A&A should be played. However, the more I play, the more I see people stick to the same basic moves that I myself use. As for playing with myself, I’ll stop playing when I’m sure one side has won. That way you don’t have to spend 10 extra turns just trying to build up a transport fleet and manpower just to take out the enemy’s capital (ie UK, Japan, USA).

• I used to hang out at a small game shop in Ringgold GA and play games like A&A, WH40K, RPGs, etc. But the owner had a problem with people only using his store to game in and buying their supplies on the net so his customer base dropped to about 5 of us who actually bought things there. We only met on the weekends (although I occasionally dropped in during the week just to say hi). Of course, eventually this wasn’t enough to stay in business even with his working on computers on the side so he had to close up shop. I never really knew how to contact any of the guys so when we couldn’t meet up there it was up to a few chance run-ins at the mall or something like that, unfortunately I never really capitalized on this. One of the guys that used to hang out there, in fact the one that introduced us all to A&A used to live about 5 minutes from here, but I’m not sure if he still does. The only other guy I have any idea about how to reach I only have an e-mail address for and I’ve had no end of trouble with my e-mail. I do know one other person who might play but everytime we set a time something comes up.

The only time you are truly free is when you step into the voting booth and vote away your freedom. -paraphrased from something my history prof. said

[ This Message was edited by: Tal on 2002-03-27 20:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tal on 2002-03-27 20:47 ]

• Well its always good to support your local gaming and hobby store. I say its better to purchase in store even if the online price is better since it helps small businesses to stay afloat and you don’t have to pay an shipping charges or wait the minimal 4-6 weeks for delivery.

• Usually you can ask for the game cheaper in a store and they would sell it. If they say no, at least you tried :smile:

• Well, I hate to admit it but I just got AAE&P off the internet. The only place I’ve seen them around here is in the mall and I dislike the mall just on general principle. Plus I saved almost $20 and only had to wait about 4 days.

• Well you’re lucky your mall even carries A&A: E & P. Heck I even had trouble trying to find A&A the original. I’ve been to some local hobby shops but even they don’t carry A&A: E or P. Sure like those new Plastic units, they would look great in the original or just playing around with.

• I recently had a horrible experience in online vs. mall purchasing. About November last year I spent hours trying to find a good-condition version of Diplomacy and I finally got one off Ebay. I spent about $20 and it was in very good condition and my friends and I have played it and (the males at least) liked it. Cool, right?

Like 2 weeks later they re-released the game–1st new version I’d seen in YEARS!!! And it’s got these awesome metal pieces and EVERYTHING (forgive my childlike enthusiasm!@ :grin: ) for $40 bucks! Now do I buy the game, of which I already have a decent version that works fine and I spent forever tracking down, or do I just sulk and play with the old version…???

3rd Option: I wait for the new edition to come down to $20 bucks on Ebay…hmmmm…

Ozone27

• If you want it that bad just put the one you bought on e-bay back on e-bay and buy the new one. I bought E & P new and on sale for $31.95 each plus shipping for a total of $72.85 on boardgames.com. If I would have bought them in the store it would have been $88 plus tax so I guess I actually saved over $20. BTW, they have Diplomacy for $34.95 plus I think $6.95 for UPS ground. If you’re interested just go there and click on the Avalon Hill link.

• what is diplomacy like?

• Exactly what the name suggest. Diplomacy is simply a game of international intrigue where you “Beg, threaten, plead and argue your way past nations where friends become pawns and enemies become allies. You’ll have to be cunning, smooth, and deceitful.”

Up to seven players can take part in Diplomacy (and I suggest they do), which make up the great powers of England, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Turkey, and Austria-Hungary.

• Basically every unit (army or navy) has an attack/defense value of one, which means any two units moving into the same space cancel each other out. The only way you win is by supporting your own units’, or other players’ units’ moves. Therefore 1 unit moving into a territory of another, with the support of a 3rd adjacent unit, will win if the second unit is unsupported.

The kicker is that all moves are simultaneous, and you can never know what another player is actually planning to do until everyone moves. So your “ally” could be faithfully supporting your moves–or stabbing you in the back by helping himself or someone else, or moving in where you vacate, or just sitting back and letting you fail. That’s where the “Diplomacy” comes in…

TG is right about the numbers–we usually play “Diplomacy” when there are too many prople for an A & A game, sice “D” works best with 6-7 people. The secret alliances/ententes/grudges are best with these numbers…

Ozone27

• Well you’re lucky you still have been playing Diplomacy. As it is I don’t get nearly as much of that game as I should. I still remember the good old days of seven player Diplmacy where special “secret treaty and alliances” rooms were set up as each player tried to vie for political and military support from one another…. Sniff

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m