• @Hobbes:

On my games, Japanese tanks and US transports since you’ll have to split the stacks through a number of territories/SZs. German tanks are not really an issue since I try to concentrate as many of them as possible in a single territory…

Thanks Hobbes! Every experience or opinion by an A&A veteran makes it easier for me to make a list of most likely run-out pieces!  :-)

• I’m a big fan of a lot of minis and no chips. US trn usually run out at the end of US2.

• '16 Customizer

To tell you the truth I have never run out of pieces… I’ve gotten pretty close but by the end of your turn some units usually die and are able to be cycled through. I DO run out of chips though… In most cases where I can’t just add more minis I use the country markers as substitutes.

The game does a pretty good job of anticipating what each nation will need. As long as you don’t plan to make the USSR a world naval power or the British use a whole load of ACs, you should generally be fine. (at least in my experience)

• i actually ran out of ICs last game, using AA42, so there’s a thought.

• Thanks. Good to know.

• @ragnarok628:

i actually ran out of ICs last game, using AA42, so there’s a thought.

Where were those ICs placed?  Inquiring minds want to know!

• well we’re all just getting into the game, so these won’t give you any strategically feasible ideas.  i don’t know if i remember quite right, BUT as japan i had one in manchuria and one in shanghai, UK had one in india, and US was wanting to build one somewhere but didn’[t have a model.  now that i am counting i think either i am forgetting one or we’ve lost a model.  either way, it was pretty much a shambles, the IC in manchuria ended up being a total waste of money, i don’t think i ended up ever dropping a unit in there.  and i took the IC in india from britain.

that was the game where we learned that dropping IC’s all over the place doesn’t work well.

• There was a strategy in classic edition that revolved around denying the other powers the use of ICs due to lack of pieces. I think it was called the von Quirine doctrine or something… Not a great strategy by any means, but a fun strategy.

• wait, so the number of pieces DOES limit how many ICs can be on the board?

• Not anymore, i think.

• @ragnarok628:

wait, so the number of pieces DOES limit how many ICs can be on the board?

No. The only edition where the number of existing pieces limited the number of units you could have on the board was on Classic, in the booklet that came with the rules addendum.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m