Anyone seen Italy and Japan survive for a while with Germany Dead?

• 2007 AAR League

I’m wondering if anyone has seen I and J survive with G dead?  Is it possible for there to be a relatively close game with that combination?

• In Round 2 of the 2009 AA50 '41 setup tech tournament, Japan single-handedly fought off both the UK and the US for quite a while, but finally lost, but it was an epic game.

Here is the thread if you want to look at it.  It was really an incredible game!

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=14908.0

• @akreider2:

I’m wondering if anyone has seen I and J survive with G dead?  Is it possible for there to be a relatively close game with that combination?

Key questions to determining if the axis still have a chance:

what level of income does Italy have? 
    How strong is their fleet?

• 2007 AAR League

The question is can Italy survive if the US or UK takes GER and starts using the IC. Maybe if UK takes it and cannot build too much because it doesn’t have anything in Africa or the Pacific.

But my guess is that it’d normally be too much, as France would either fall to the Allies or at least be trading hands (and making UK/US lots of income).

Note: I’m not interested in Japan alone - since that is pretty common.

• I survived with only Japan alive.  Here’s the thing: as Japan I had totally taken over America.  I had over 70 points coming in every turn.  It turned out to be a stalemate situation because the allies still had the UK and Russia.  It’s simply impossible to amount enough of an attack force to take London or Moscow.  Even if I build 10 bombers and had 10 fighters and a huge amphibious assault by the time I massed all those forces the UK or Russia would have at least 20 soldiers to absorb all the damage.

The problem I found was I didn’t have a factory with enough build force on the mainland of Europe/Asia.  India only is 3 and the area around Korea is only 3.

I think the rules need to be changed to prevent using soldiers as fodder all the time.  Just like the rules were changed from letting transports absorb all the damage.

• @Venom:

I survived with only Japan alive.  Here’s the thing: as Japan I had totally taken over America.  I had over 70 points coming in every turn.  It turned out to be a stalemate situation because the allies still had the UK and Russia.  It’s simply impossible to amount enough of an attack force to take London or Moscow.  Even if I build 10 bombers and had 10 fighters and a huge amphibious assault by the time I massed all those forces the UK or Russia would have at least 20 soldiers to absorb all the damage.

The problem I found was I didn’t have a factory with enough build force on the mainland of Europe/Asia.  India only is 3 and the area around Korea is only 3.

I think the rules need to be changed to prevent using soldiers as fodder all the time.  Just like the rules were changed from letting transports absorb all the damage.

Just because you weren’t able to win doesn’t mean the game should be changed. Of course the infantry should be fodder; At sea, warships protected transports. Tanks and planes never protected infantry

• I once played a great game as Allies when the Japanese were all conquering in Asia and Pacific, but failed to take Russia before Germany fell. And the SU was becoming absolutely huge with Mec and Rocket techs. They just pushed the enormous Red Army against the Japanese, while USA and GB came over sea. It took an epic sea and land battle on Japan itself before she finally died. By then the USSR was even bigger in IC than UK and USA combined.

I have never seen Japan survive against all other Allied countries, even if the Japanese armies are very big. Japan just gets outproduced in the end.

• True tanks don’t protect infantry.  However, planes and bombers and tanks don’t target infantry, unless that’s the only remaining targets.  So you should be allowed to sometimes pick which units are removed.  I think a rule stating that if a roll produces a hit number and there is also a 6 rolled then the roller gets to pick which unit is removed for every 6 rolled.

Example: rolling for 4 tanks, 3,2,5,6 get rolled; so there are two kills and with the 6 being rolled that means the roller gets to pick 1 unit to kill.

This would help establish the reality that the attacker would be targeting higher priority targets while also maintaining the reality that those attacks sometimes miss and infantry are the casualties.

• How can tanks hit tanks if there is a wall of infantry in front of the tanks?

• 2007 AAR League

Please stay on topic or don’t post in this thread.  Thanks.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m