Allowing Italy to Take Normandy/Burgundy

• I think it would really help out Germany a lot to let Italy take Normandy/Burgundy on turn 1 with 1 tank and 2 fighters (after Germany takes France).  Also take out Southern France with Italy and don’t spend any of your money.  Then on turn 2, build 3 transports next to UK and move your Southern France forces to Normandy/Burgundy.  You now have 6 land units and up to 2 fighters to suicide against UK on turn 3 and and soften UK up for a German turn 4 invasion.  Or, if Germany took UK on turn 3, then you can now help reinforce it with 6 units.  Of course, there would be the occasional game where you lose your tank and two fighters to that one infantry on turn 1, but thankfully such disasters would be rare.  Also, this may slow you down in Africa since you aren’t using either of your fighters down there.  But I think it would be interesting to try it out.  Thoughts?

• Interesing. Why don’t we play a forum europe 40 game to test it?

• @mikecool70:

I think it would really help out Germany a lot to let Italy take Normandy/Burgundy on turn 1 with 1 tank and 2 fighters (after Germany takes France).  Also take out Southern France with Italy and don’t spend any of your money.  Then on turn 2, build 3 transports next to UK and move your Southern France forces to Normandy/Burgundy.  You now have 6 land units and up to 2 fighters to suicide against UK on turn 3 and and soften UK up for a German turn 4 invasion.  Or, if Germany took UK on turn 3, then you can now help reinforce it with 6 units.  Of course, there would be the occasional game where you lose your tank and two fighters to that one infantry on turn 1, but thankfully such disasters would be rare.  Also, this may slow you down in Africa since you aren’t using either of your fighters down there.  But I think it would be interesting to try it out.  Thoughts?

Wait, does Italy build the 3 Transports next to the UK?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@mikecool70:

I think it would really help out Germany a lot to let Italy take Normandy/Burgundy on turn 1 with 1 tank and 2 fighters (after Germany takes France).  Also take out Southern France with Italy and don’t spend any of your money.  Then on turn 2, build 3 transports next to UK and move your Southern France forces to Normandy/Burgundy.  You now have 6 land units and up to 2 fighters to suicide against UK on turn 3 and and soften UK up for a German turn 4 invasion.  Or, if Germany took UK on turn 3, then you can now help reinforce it with 6 units.  Of course, there would be the occasional game where you lose your tank and two fighters to that one infantry on turn 1, but thankfully such disasters would be rare.  Also, this may slow you down in Africa since you aren’t using either of your fighters down there.  But I think it would be interesting to try it out.  Thoughts?

Wait, does Italy build the 3 Transports next to the UK?

Yes.  Of course, they would have to be protected with a German aircraft carrier build on turn 1.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Interesing. Why don’t we play a forum europe 40 game to test it?

I might be up to it.  But I’ve never played an email game before.  What do I need to do?

• @mikecool70:

@calvinhobbesliker:

I might be up to it.  But I’ve never played an email game before.  What do I need to do?

You basically type out your moves and roll dice with a certain algorithm. You can download ABattlemap from Functioneta or just use your actual game board

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@mikecool70:

@calvinhobbesliker:

You basically type out your moves and roll dice with a certain algorithm. You can download ABattlemap from Functioneta or just use your actual game board

Yeah, I own the game so I think I would prefer just setting up the game and rolling the dice myself.  But how do we handle choosing casualties for the defender?  Do we email EACH round of combat?  That would be a bit tedious since my computer is in a different room than where I can set up the game.  But it’s still doable I suppose.  I am off until Wednesday.

• @mikecool70:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@mikecool70:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Yeah, I own the game so I think I would prefer just setting up the game and rolling the dice myself.  But how do we handle choosing casualties for the defender?  Do we email EACH round of combat?  That would be a bit tedious since my computer is in a different room than where I can set up the game.  But it’s still doable I suppose.  I am off until Wednesday.

Usually, the order of losses is obvious(inf, art/mech, tanks, ftr). If it’s not, ask the defender(and do it before you roll their defense).

The problem with rolling the dice in real life is that each of us could lie about the results.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Usually, the order of losses is obvious(inf, art/mech, tanks, ftr). If it’s not, ask the defender(and do it before you roll their defense).

The problem with rolling the dice in real life is that each of us could lie about the results.

Yeah, I can understand the possibility of someone lying.  But it would be much faster just to email the other player the final results of all the battles so they can adjust their board accordingly.  If it’s not obvious what casualties to take for a specific battle, then break that combat down round by round.  I myself and not worried about someone lying.  If they want to win that badly, then they can just tell me upfront that they might lie about the dice rolls and I’ll just concede the game to them at that point. ;)

• @mikecool70:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Yeah, I can understand the possibility of someone lying.  But it would be much faster just to email the other player the final results of all the battles so they can adjust their board accordingly.  If it’s not obvious what casualties to take for a specific battle, then break that combat down round by round.  I myself and not worried about someone lying.  If they want to win that badly, then they can just tell me upfront that they might lie about the dice rolls and I’ll just concede the game to them at that point. ;)

It’s not that hard to roll dice. For example, to roll 2 infantry, a tank, and a bomber, you’d type : aaa 2@1 1@3 1@4 : without the spaces

DiceRolls: 2@1 1@3 1@4; Total Hits: 32@1: (4, 1)1@3: (1)1@4: (1)
    This also tells you how many hits you got

• @calvinhobbesliker:

It’s not that hard to roll dice. For example, to roll 2 infantry, a tank, and a bomber, you’d type : aaa 2@1 1@3 1@4 : without the spaces

DiceRolls: 2@1 1@3 1@4; Total Hits: 32@1: (4, 1)1@3: (1)1@4: (1)
    This also tells you how many hits you got

Perhaps if my computer and board were in the same room I’d be willing to do it, but since they aren’t I would have to write all the rounds down on paper and THEN type it out on the computer.  I’ll probably just wait till my friends can get together to play it in person.  Unless there is someone out there willing to play an email game without all the rounds of combat being shown?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m