• I know you’re only ever getting infantry. The difference is, on turn 1 you can kill 8 infantry, and even though you’ll have very little left, Russia will have almost nothing in their second line. On turn 2, you only kill 3 infantry, and though you’ll be much stronger, Russia already has a good strike back capability.

• @purplebaron:

I know you’re only ever getting infantry. The difference is, on turn 1 you can kill 8 infantry, and even though you’ll have very little left, Russia will have almost nothing in their second line. On turn 2, you only kill 3 infantry, and though you’ll be much stronger, Russia already has a good strike back capability.

What? Leningrad has 6 inf, and Belarus has 3.

• I might go G1 next game. In a way this is like the first pacific game. The axis are counting turns until america gets too strong to resist.

By taking most or all of that front line germany is one turn closer to threatening moscow, sneaking through the caucasus on the way to india or at least doing something important

• @GrizzlyMan:

The biggest problem I see with a G1 Barbarossa is that the Luftwaffe can’t join in if they are attacking the Royal Navy. And if the Germans do allovate their air force eastward, they don’t completely negate the threat posed by the Royal Navy. I oculd see a G2 Barbarossa being plausible, but G1 is premature.

On the one hand I agree, but on the other, as the initial poster said; in all the games I’ve played so far (3), the Russians withdrew from the border territories on turn 1, thereby consolodating their forces, while the Germans are losing theitrs in France, at sea and in Yugoslavia. It’s certainly worth a try to try and attack Russia on G1, I assume… At least it will cost Russia too and they start off very weak.

• From my initial look at the board, I don’t think Germany should attack until G3.  On G1, Germany can activate Finland with an infantry and artillery on the transport (and the transport will be safe because UK can’t land planes in Russia (from movement rules and major power neutrals) and can’t send ships through the strait, and activate Bulgaria.  Then on G2 the transport returns to 112 (I think) and the Bulgarian infantry move 1 territory into position.  Thus for G3, the transport can be used again to amphibiously assault Russia and the Bulgarian infantry can be used in the first attack.

• @Koningstiger:

On the one hand I agree, but on the other, as the initial poster said; in all the games I’ve played so far (3), the Russians withdrew from the border territories on turn 1, thereby consolodating their forces, while the Germans are losing theitrs in France, at sea and in Yugoslavia. It’s certainly worth a try to try and attack Russia on G1, I assume… At least it will cost Russia too and they start off very weak.

From this Axis and Allies version of the European front, I can see why Stalin ordered “Not one step back!”  If Russia gives up all their border territories, the Germany has “airbases” (not literal) that are only 3 moves from Moscow, so now it can be strategically bombed (Leningrad and Stalingrad are already in range).

• @Col.:

@Koningstiger:

From this Axis and Allies version of the European front, I can see why Stalin ordered “Not one step back!”  If Russia gives up all their border territories, the Germany has “airbases” (not literal) that are only 3 moves from Moscow, so now it can be strategically bombed (Leningrad and Stalingrad are already in range).

Until stalingrad this policy actually backfired on the Russians as large Russian troop concentrations were encircled and decimated by German attacks.
    I wouldn’t worry too much about any strategic bombardments. Germany only starts off with one strategic bomber and any defending fifhters as well as the factory in-built AA gun will hit the bomber (s) on a 2 or less…

• Are dogfights a standard rule?

In built AA’s don’t hit an a 2 or less. Neither does any other AA until (in global) you research radar.

• @Tavenier:

Are dogfights a standard rule?

In built AA’s don’t hit an a 2 or less. Neither does any other AA until (in global) you research radar.

I do believe it’s a standard rule in Europe and global unlike in A&A 50 where it’s an optional rule. So yes, defending FIGHTERS can defend against a strategic bombing raid (on either a factory or an installation (airbase, naval base) and defend on a 2 and hit attacking fighters or bombers (owner’s choice). Afterwards, any surviving bombers (only) can still be hit by the in-built AA guns. You’re right that those indeed only hit on a 1, unless you have the radar technology (GLOBAL only).

• Okay, didn’t notice it was a standard rule. Thanks!

So the dogfight is before AA rolls? That’s good!

• @Tavenier:

Okay, didn’t notice it was a standard rule. Thanks!

So the dogfight is before AA rolls? That’s good!

Yes.

That’s how I understand it from the section on SBRs, anyway.

• This past game I did this and worked out well in out flanking the Russians.  I kept the sealion threat open with 3 transports loaded carrier, BB, C, and subs stationed off of Denmark.  I positioned the Finland army and extra units shucked there as well.  G3 I out flanked the russians by landing 2 trannies of units in Nementia and a trany full of units in archangel.  Closed in to karelia and vyborg with the Finland units.  I took the frontier spaces (BS, BESS, and EP) and concentrated my forces in EP.  I had a MF in Romania which added the pressure.  This flanking manuever was successful in spreading out the Russian forces and I was able to take Moscow on G6.  I think G3 is the earliest to you can start a barbarossa.

• @RogertheShrubber:

This past game I did this and worked out well in out flanking the Russians.  I kept the sealion threat open with 3 transports loaded carrier, BB, C, and subs stationed off of Denmark.  I positioned the Finland army and extra units shucked there as well.  G3 I out flanked the russians by landing 2 trannies of units in Nementia and a trany full of units in archangel.  Closed in to karelia and vyborg with the Finland units.  I took the frontier spaces (BS, BESS, and EP) and concentrated my forces in EP.  I had a MF in Romania which added the pressure.  This flanking manuever was successful in spreading out the Russian forces and I was able to take Moscow on G6.  I think G3 is the earliest to you can start a barbarossa.

Yeah landing units in Nementia and Archangelsk is a very good move to outflank the Russians. It’s exceptionally gamey of course because this was never a viable action in the real war, but hey it’s only A&A and it doesn’t claim to be historically accurate…

• Since German factories are closer to France then Russia, and speed seems valuable:

Call me crazy, but what if most of your starting land units move towards Russia, you build your production to hold off France and later take it when ready. You get to use the airforce against UK round 1, France round 2 and Russia round 3.

Your G1 attack on Russia puts 5 armor, 4 Mech, and 5-7 infantry in Eastern Poland…safe from Russia…you can even use the bomber and BB (kill Russia BB) to land 1 troop and art in baltic states.
    (I would pull a tank and 2 men from E. poland force with this option. Take hits on land based infantry, then retreat leaving the art and infantry to take and save the Tank from counter attack since amphibious attack is the only attack that allows a split retreat.)

Your production will be closer to France and the defense of Europe. Some units would stay in W. Germany since they are too far from Russia, namely Denmark and Belgium forces. Turn one you build a minor factory in Romania and 3 Mech in Germany, with 2 infantry for W. Germany…Funnel 6 Mech a round to the Russian front, extra IPCs spent defending Europe. Keep one sub in sz125 to deny Russia 5 IPC National Objective.

Crazy? or is it worth trying.

Thats my 2 cents for a G1 attack plan.

• @JamesAleman:

Since German factories are closer to France then Russia, and speed seems valuable:

Call me crazy, but what if most of your starting land units move towards Russia, you build your production to hold off France and later take it when ready. You get to use the airforce against UK round 1, France round 2 and Russia round 3.

Your G1 attack on Russia puts 5 armor, 4 Mech, and 5-7 infantry in Eastern Poland…safe from Russia…you can even use the bomber and BB (kill Russia BB) to land 1 troop and art in baltic states.
    (I would pull a tank and 2 men from E. poland force with this option. Take hits on land based infantry, then retreat leaving the art and infantry to take and save the Tank from counter attack since amphibious attack is the only attack that allows a split retreat.)

Your production will be closer to France and the defense of Europe. Some units would stay in W. Germany since they are too far from Russia, namely Denmark and Belgium forces. Turn one you build a minor factory in Romania and 3 Mech in Germany, with 2 infantry for W. Germany…Funnel 6 Mech a round to the Russian front, extra IPCs spent defending Europe. Keep one sub in sz125 to deny Russia 5 IPC National Objective.

Crazy? or is it worth trying.

Thats my 2 cents for a G1 attack plan.

I agree that speed is of the essence. I guess it’s worth trying. However, it does seem incredibly risky to me to lelet france live for another turn. They will add 14 IPCs to their force in France.

• True, but you can add your surviving planes then.

6-8 planes will outdo the extra 5 inf.  Now an AA gun purchase could hurt…

• @Col.:

From my initial look at the board, I don’t think Germany should attack until G3.  On G1, Germany can activate Finland with an infantry and artillery on the transport (and the transport will be safe because UK can’t land planes in Russia (from movement rules and major power neutrals) and can’t send ships through the strait, and activate Bulgaria.  Then on G2 the transport returns to 112 (I think) and the Bulgarian infantry move 1 territory into position.  Thus for G3, the transport can be used again to amphibiously assault Russia and the Bulgarian infantry can be used in the first attack.

Rule question:
    Is it really possible to make an amphibious assault on Finland on G1, considering you haven’t declared war on Russia yet. Can you share SZ115 with russian BB and T without it being a wardeclaration?

• @taishan:

@Col.:

From my initial look at the board, I don’t think Germany should attack until G3.  On G1, Germany can activate Finland with an infantry and artillery on the transport (and the transport will be safe because UK can’t land planes in Russia (from movement rules and major power neutrals) and can’t send ships through the strait, and activate Bulgaria.  Then on G2 the transport returns to 112 (I think) and the Bulgarian infantry move 1 territory into position.  Thus for G3, the transport can be used again to amphibiously assault Russia and the Bulgarian infantry can be used in the first attack.

Rule question:
    Is it really possible to make an amphibious assault on Finland on G1, considering you haven’t declared war on Russia yet. Can you share SZ115 with russian BB and T without it being a wardeclaration?

Yes, Finland is a pro-axis minor, so technically it’s not an amphibious assault. Taking over countries that are on your side, happens in the NON-COMBAT phase.

Sharing a sea zone is not a declaration of war. However, if you intend to right away amphibiously assault, say Novgorod, then naval combat would occur as technically you are supposed to declare war BEFORE the biggining of the combat move sequence. If the German vessels are only there to land troops in (pro-Axis) Finland, they can share the sea zone with Russian vessels without any problems (as long as they’re not actually already at war with Russia of course…)

• @Koningstiger:

@taishan:

@Col.:

Rule question:

Yes, Finland is a pro-axis minor, so technically it’s not an amphibious assault. Taking over countries that are on your side, happens in the NON-COMBAT phase.

Sharing a sea zone is not a declaration of war. However, if you intend to right away amphibiously assault, say Novgorod, then naval combat would occur as technically you are supposed to declare war BEFORE the biggining of the combat move sequence. If the German vessels are only there to land troops in (pro-Axis) Finland, they can share the sea zone with Russian vessels without any problems (as long as they’re not actually already at war with Russia of course…)

Its no Amphibious assault like Koningstiger made clear,
    you simply unload your troops in the non-combat phase
    so no conduct combat phase takes place…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m