• if a sub is in a sz with a convoy marker, it takes 2 ipc away. a surface warship takes 1 away.  if the enemy places one of their subs in that same sz, does it keep the money (no blockade)?

ie…
    US has 1 sub in sz20 = -2ipc for jap
    us has 1ss in sz20, jap has 1 sub in sz20.  then what?

• @katfishkris:

if a sub is in a sz with a convoy marker, it takes 2 ipc away. a surface warship takes 1 away.  if the enemy places one of their subs in that same sz, does it keep the money (no blockade)?

ie…
    US has 1 sub in sz20 = -2ipc for jap
    us has 1ss in sz20, jap has 1 sub in sz20.  then what?

As far as I know convoy disruption is not affected or interrupted by opposing warships.  If the US still has a sub in SZ20 at the end of Japans turn (and they’re at war) Japan will always lose 2 ipc, even if their entire fleet is stationed in that seazone.

• maybe i am doing the whole blockade thing wrong.

lets say jap controls phillipines.  in order for the allies to blockade sz35(phi), do the allies have to control an island(bor, pau, cel, guam, or dgu) adjacent to the blockaded sz?

makes a big deal.  we played a f2f recently and the US bought 3ss each turn, anzac bought 1ss each turn and sent them out to disrupt convoy routes.  this hindered the Jap income greatly after several turns.  instead of the 50ish ipc they should have been getting, they were only pulling in 30something, china and the UK to advance.

need some clarification.  thanks.

• @katfishkris:

maybe i am doing the whole blockade thing wrong.

lets say jap controls phillipines.  in order for the allies to blockade sz35(phi), do the allies have to control an island(bor, pau, cel, guam, or dgu) adjacent to the blockaded sz?

No

The “your” in condition 2 under Conduct Convoy Disruptions is a reference to the power collecting income. In this example that would be Japan.

• @katfishkris:

maybe i am doing the whole blockade thing wrong.

makes a big deal.  we played a f2f recently and the US bought 3ss each turn, anzac bought 1ss each turn and sent them out to disrupt convoy routes.  this hindered the Jap income greatly after several turns.  instead of the 50ish ipc they should have been getting, they were only pulling in 30something, china and the UK to advance.

need some clarification.  thanks.

The submarine needs to be on the SZ with the convoy marker. In your example the Allies would need to have submarines on SZ35 in order to conduct convoy disruptions. Subs in adjacent SZs have no effect.

The only way to prevent convoy disruptions is to sink the enemy subs/warships on the convoy areas.

• i guess i am refering to the rule book #2 the word “your”.  does this refer to the attacker disrupting convoys, or the defender - the owner of the convoy being disrupted.

• @katfishkris:

i guess i am refering to the rule book #2 the word “your”.  does this refer to the attacker disrupting convoys, or the defender - the owner of the convoy being disrupted.

The owner of the convoy being disrupted.

It’s your turn. It’s your collect income phase. The conditions are what it takes to disrupt your convoys.

• kinda what i thought.

then that seems to be a good strat against jap.  lots of subs from all allies to dirupt convoys.  keeps jap buying dd’s instead of boots for asia.

• @katfishkris:

kinda what i thought.

then that seems to be a good strat against jap.  lots of subs from all allies to dirupt convoys.  keeps jap buying dd’s instead of boots for asia.

Historically it crippled J’s merchant shipping. It can be useful on the game since you’re trading a 6 IPC for an 8 IPC unit, plus the loss of income from any convoy disruption. But you can only send 1 sub to each SZ, otherwise J will kill stacks of subs using only 1 DD and a lot of planes.

• Say the Japs had DEI & Phil, and its main force is at Carol Is. Ideally if you could get 5 allied subs in range you could spread them out in 5 different sz all at once costing Jap $ (8-10 ipc) and forcing them to buy more DD’s to go after you. At the very least it could be a stall tactic or weaken the Jap force. Jap would need to make a choice to attack your main force w/o DD’s (cheap causalities), or leave the convoy raids in place. If Jap goes after the subs, you may have created targets of opportunity to go after.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m