• The good thing about A&A:Pacific is that they make some of the islands strategic so there’s a point to invading some islands while isolating others. But one of the best islands for the Japs to take and hold has to be New Britain, near New Guinea. With New Britain having the Airfield thingy, the planes could then go an extra space. and it has the naval thing too which could make the ships go farther also. and by capturing New Britain, and having fighters there, those fighters can harass any Allied ships in the ocean from the Ryuku Islands, close to Japan, all the way to almost the other side of the gameboard by Fiji, which is right above New Zealand. With New Britain, you could harass the ships in port at Australia, any ships the the Phillippines and any ships in the Central Pacific. That island is a good investment. When I was playing, I fortified the island with 3 infantry, 2 artillery and 1-2 planes making it almost invincible to most amphibious assaults, unless the Allies desperately wanted to take it but that ould have taken multiple turns.

• I also noticed that besides New Britain, if you wanted Mega Japanese Air Cover over the Pacific, then it would be good if you captured or held onto the Solomon Islands, the Mariana Islands, and Formosa. By having these islands, you would be able to cover the whole Pacific besides the American coast, southern Australia, the South-West corner of the map, and the Indian coast. Besides those, you can fly planes throughout the Pacific ocean.

• I have noticed the Importance of this Island too…I usually dont have to take the Solomon islands because on my first turn I pretty much Cripple the US fleet…in Sea Zone 5 and 9…and the British Fleet too.
    But by Keaping New Britian it means less Mobilization for the British Navy,Which goes hand in hand with having Malaya, Java, and Hong Kong

• I holeheartidly agree with you guys as to the importance of having New Britain as a Japanese base of operations, I have been burnt before as the Commonwealth when our Japanese oponent was sitting fat with a small stack of fighters on New Britain. Every ship that I tried to launch from Syndey was fried before I could even get into serious gameplay!

As a Japanese player, I must say that the Phillipines is also a very strategic place to hold onto. Having the Phillipines is a darn good stop when one is using the classic “shuck-shuck” strategy to end run India by the Malaya route. I have slammed Allied oponents hard before buy getting the Japan-Phillipines-Malaya-Indian Ocean troop route secured. With transports going up and down this route at will it is very easy to move massive amounts of screaming Japanese Infintry dudes into the Indian Ocean reasonably early in the game.

Off course, this is just me

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m