• Anything that involves Patton :grin:

Favorite one is Battle of the Buldge where Patton somehow relieved the 101st with only 3 tank divisions against a ring of German Panzers!

But it does make me mad how Patton could’ve ended the war much quicker Late 1944 if not for Monty and his damned Operation Market Garden, which led to the abandonment of 8,000 Allied airmen. Won’t get into detail about it since that’s Mini’s reply, but play MoH for a good dose of what the Allies had to go through.

Oh, and the Eastern Front 1944-1945 when the Germans were in full retreat. The The Battle of Sellow Heights and the Battle of Berlin are all great battles (along with some Me-262s and “super” tanks) against the superior Russian force. “With or Backs to Berlin” is a good read if you want to know more about it.

If I were a younger man, I would write a history of human stupidity; and I would lie down on my back with my history for a pillow; and I would make a statue of myself, lying on my back, grinning horribly, thumbing my nose at You Know Who. - Bokonon

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-06-09 11:38 ]

• I like the battle of Berlin mainly cause of the German valor displayed even to the bitter end. Even German naval units were still bombarding Soviet lines to the very end. That’s amazing.

• As for Patton ending the war by 1944, that is a bunch of hype. The supply lines were so far stretched after the race across France, they needed time to pause and wait for supplies, mainly fuel, to catch up.

• But if Operation Market Garden had never occured, there would of been enough supplies to reach Berlin. However, the Allies had only enough supplies for one campaign. THey chose Monty.

• I love reading about the Japaneese victories in the first month after Pearl Harbr.

• I would say my favorites are Midway, and Normandy. Oh, and hello to everyone here, figured I would sign up and chat since I look at this stuff often.

• Welcome :smile: Guten Tag

Midway, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, the Burma Campaign, the fall of Sinapore, all good, bloody battles in the Pacific.

• sdrastvyecha, moy drook. Always good to have new people. I enjoy the Eastern front, especially Kursk and Stalingrad. I’d like to learn more about Burma though, it looks quite fascinating. Air campaigns were probably the first thing to catch my interest though.

• Velcomin,Herr Mitchell,
    I like all of them.
    Re: Pearl Harbour - I will always point out the stupidity of the Japanese Command for not destroying the oil storage and refinery facilities of the Hawaiian islands as it would have set the US supply line back 2,000 miles.
    –-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Turn of the water sprinkler the party’s over.” - Correct and identify that Quote.

• The Japanese should’ve hit the repair facilities and oil storage tanks, which probably would’ve gave the Japanese several more months for operations. However, the Japanese gave up their attack after the second wave met American resistence. IMO, they should’ve pressed their advantage as there was nothing else that the Americans couldn’ve done about it. Even if the US’s AC task force out in manuevers and unloading duties were to arrive, they probably still would’ve been defeat.

North Africa is another campaign that deserves a case study by its own, at least until after the battle of El Alemin (sp).

If I were a younger man, I would write a history of human stupidity; and I would lie down on my back with my history for a pillow; and I would make a statue of myself, lying on my back, grinning horribly, thumbing my nose at You Know Who. - Bokonon

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-06-13 20:16 ]

• Yeah, the Japanese should have captured Honolulu, it would have set back the lines in the Pacific, given the Japanese another fortified island, and it would have kept the Americans from repairing/salvaging many of the boats and planes. And of course using the ones missed by the attack.

• @mini_phreek:

i’m curius to know every one’s faverite world war 2 battle of study. thats batles that you like reading about, watching movies about and understanding the stratagy behind.

my favs are Operation Market Garden and The battle of Ortona.

Stalingrad is the most interesting. The Italian campaign too. Kursk, the air war…Invasion of russia…its all good.

• Yeah, I forgot to mention the Italian Campaign. This is a sure read! I love reading about the Germans (many of elite Fallschrimjager) desperate attempts to hold the Americans (elite units too like the Devil’s Brigade), UK, and Canada’s overwhelming supply of manpower. The Hitler Line, Monte Cassino, Anzio, Rome, house to house fighting… all great actions worth mentioning.

• The Hitler Line, Monte Cassino, Anzio, Rome, house to house fighting… all great actions worth mentioning.

you forgot Ortona

• Yep, we have to give those Canadian Soldiers their due. 8)

But I’m forgetting a lot of other major engagements, Gustav Line, Operation ‘Husky’, Operation ‘Baytown’, Operation ‘Slapstick’, Operation ‘Avalanche’… the list goes on and on.

• The Japanese should have captured Honolulu. It would have been more interesting than simply bombing.

• Personally, I don’t think capturing Hawaii would have been that much of a thing for the Japanese even though they could have definetely pulled it off if they tried. Other than the naval base there, Hawaii isn’t an important strategic target unless of course they wanted to invade America itself…

It was a much better target as a air raid that way they wouldn’t need to garrison it against a much closer American mainland and they can still destroy the American fleet. Now if only Nagumo had ordered a third wave for attacking the sub pens and supplies…

• @Captain:

Personally, I don’t think capturing Hawaii would have been that much of a thing for the Japanese even though they could have definetely pulled it off if they tried. Other than the naval base there, Hawaii isn’t an important strategic target unless of course they wanted to invade America itself…

It was a much better target as a air raid that way they wouldn’t need to garrison it against a much closer American mainland and they can still destroy the American fleet. Now if only Nagumo had ordered a third wave for attacking the sub pens and supplies…

true.

“I love reading about the Germans (many of elite Fallschrimjager) desperate attempts to hold the Americans (elite units too like the Devil’s Brigade), UK, and Canada’s overwhelming supply of manpower. The Hitler Line, Monte Cassino, Anzio, Rome, house to house fighting… all great actions worth mentioning.”

Yes…something about the Germans with a fighting chance…I by no means like what the Nazis did, but I am very interested in how the Germans could of won…but I always cheered for the bad guy since Wild E. Coyote…

• Well much of the Italian Campaign is still taught in military schools today. It was the perfect example of the outgunned, and outnumbered defender using every bit of mountainous topography, weather, logistics, urban defense to his advantage. Kesslering (sp) was a genius militarily for his ability to sustain retreat and reform defensive lines, something that Hitler actually let him do! People forget how close the Salerno landings came close to utter failure.

• Well holding the Island would tie up the Americans for a long, long time, buying the Japaneese time to attack India and China.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m