• Which minority group do you think has had the worst history and why? Please tell me of any other minority groups you think I should add to this poll (if adidng is possible).

• of those listed, i would definitely say the Jews. I mean, read the Bible. Obviously, there’s a lot of non-believers in these forums, but IF you believe, then the Jews have been persecuted by others for thousands of years.

• call me biased, but you forgot the Mennonites. If the Jews got the gold for persecution, then the Menno’s would get the silver.
    The Catholics and Protestants tried to wipe out my people in the beginning until we escaped to Prussia and Poland, then many of us were abducted to serve in King Wilhelm’s bodyguards, and we were subjected to persecution in Poland too until we fled to Russia. Then the Revolution. Even before Stalin’s 5 year plan which decimated my people or sent them to Siberia, the anarchists under Machno slaughtered entire villages. A father would come home to find the heads of his wife and children on the dinner plates. Even in Canada we were persecuted for our religious beliefs and our bizaare cultures. It didn’t help that many of us spoke German during the wars either. Many of us went to prison then too.
    I would vote “Jews” as there have been worldwide attempts to exterminate them and they have been persecuted since Egypt. Still, for a people of our size, there has been a near disproportionate amount of persecution relatively speaking.

• Jews have definately been persecuted for the longest.

• What about the american indians (both in north and south america) ?

• In recent history, American Indians have suffered more than Jews. However, Jewish suffering dates back all the way to the conception of the religion.

• My vote is for the Neanderthals. Us winners are a mean bunch of hombres! :)

• @cystic:

call me biased, but you forgot the Mennonites.

Even in Canada we were persecuted for our religious beliefs and our bizaare cultures.

Still, for a people of our size, there has been a near disproportionate amount of persecution relatively speaking.

First of all, if you don’t want to answer, then I’m sorry for asking.

1. You’re biased. :P

2. What bizarre cultures?

3. How big are the Mennonites?

• @Grigoriy:

@cystic:

call me biased, but you forgot the Mennonites.

Even in Canada we were persecuted for our religious beliefs and our bizaare cultures.

Still, for a people of our size, there has been a near disproportionate amount of persecution relatively speaking.

First of all, if you don’t want to answer, then I’m sorry for asking.

1. You’re biased. :P

true

2. What bizarre cultures?

German speaking, pacisfist farmers who mostly kept to themselves and didn’t practice any of the “Canadian religions”. We had our own religion and education system, and had negotiated certain “rights and privileges” in order to settle Canada.
    3. How big are the Mennonites?
    It depends, and i’m not really certain.
    There are about 1 000 000 people in 61 countries. About 500 000 outside of NA and Europe.
    Here are a few tidbits about the Anabaptists:
    Contemporary groups with early Anabaptist roots include the Mennonites, Amish, Dunkards, Landmark Baptists, Hutterites, and various Beachy and Brethren groups.
    There is no single defining set of beliefs, doctrines, and practices that characterizes all Anabaptists.
    The era of the 16th-century Protestant Reformation in Europe spawned a number of radical reform groups, among them the Anabaptists. These Christians regarded the Bible as their only rule for faith and life. Because of their radical beliefs, the Anabaptists were persecuted by other Protestants as well as by Roman Catholics.
    Mennonites have been characterized historically by a love for the Word of God, and by a strict demand for holiness of life.
    The evangelical and non-revolutionary Anabaptists of Switzerland, Austria, Germany, and the Netherlands, were somewhat of a trial to the leading reformers because of their radical views on the nature of the church and of the Christian ethic.
    January 21, 1525, is generally considered the birthdate of Anabaptism.

• So, i guess you or someone in your family understands “Wiedertäufer”.

• @Yanny:

In recent history, American Indians have suffered more than Jews. However, Jewish suffering dates back all the way to the conception of the religion.

Do you have any facts to back this claim up, Yanny? I think I could easily disprove this theory of yours. When does “recent history” for the American Indians begin in your view and give me examples. We can compare.

• @F_alk:

So, i guess you or someone in your family understands “Wiedertäufer”.

prolly.
    not me tho’.

• @cystic:

It depends, and i’m not really certain.
    There are about 1 000 000 people in 61 countries. About 500 000 outside of NA and Europe.
    Here are a few tidbits about the Anabaptists:
    Contemporary groups with early Anabaptist roots include the Mennonites, Amish, Dunkards, Landmark Baptists, Hutterites, and various Beachy and Brethren groups.
    There is no single defining set of beliefs, doctrines, and practices that characterizes all Anabaptists.
    The era of the 16th-century Protestant Reformation in Europe spawned a number of radical reform groups, among them the Anabaptists. These Christians regarded the Bible as their only rule for faith and life. Because of their radical beliefs, the Anabaptists were persecuted by other Protestants as well as by Roman Catholics.
    Mennonites have been characterized historically by a love for the Word of God, and by a strict demand for holiness of life.
    The evangelical and non-revolutionary Anabaptists of Switzerland, Austria, Germany, and the Netherlands, were somewhat of a trial to the leading reformers because of their radical views on the nature of the church and of the Christian ethic.
    January 21, 1525, is generally considered the birthdate of Anabaptism.

Those amish and their black hats and coats. They remind me of Hasidic Jews.

• EmuGod,

The American Indians, in a mere 600 years, went from ruling two continents, numbering in the tens of millions, and being relatively civilized, to a few hundred thousand (Or maybe a million? Not sure how many are left) people who live in the desert in poverty.

Partly because of disease, mostly because of genocide.

• Yanny, brush up on your history. What killed off the Indians was mostly disease, not genocide. And if you want to talk about genocide, and recent history, there was a little thing called the Holocaust, which even if you consider what happened to the American Indians a genocide (it wasnt), was more recent.

• Disease and Genocide played a mixed role. For example in New England, an estimated 95%-96% of Indians died from disease shortly before the Pilgrams landed (which was why there was so much nice, clear land for the Pilgrims to use). They died at this astronomical rate because well, they lived in a clean enviroment. They bathed daily, as opposed to the bath or two a European would get per year, and lived in an enviroment where diseases did not flourish. So you are partially correct.

However, in parts of the continents where Indians did not live in such ideal conditions, Disease wiped out only the very young and very old. This was true throughout South America, the Carribean, Mexico, and the Southern and Northwestern United States. Also, after the initial shock of disease, the surviving Native Americans quickly developed a resistance to Western diseases. The Spanish thoroughly wiped out the entire native Med. Sea population, along with most of Mexico’s. South America fared better, but most of the heavily populated areas were depopulated whenever the Spanish arrived. Then of courses theres the British-American influence. Throughout the 1700s and through the mid 1800s, Indians were slowly killed and pushed out of America.

• Have to agree with Yanny… the Natives use to control two entire continents and a thriving civilization (especially in central America). Howerevr in a period of less than 200 years, the vast majority of Natives were wiped out (numbers speaking). Those who survived were either forced to flee or captured an sent into harsh slavery. Unlike the Jews, which have been able to at least recover and start new lives, many Natives still live in poverty today.

Kurds and Africans have also had rough histories, where the afteraffects are still being felt today (the Kurds to a greater extent)

• note that a lot of American Indians did their best to wipe each other out. Some even used blankets infected with smallpox as a form of biological warfare. So yeah, some had it rough, but they used each other, as well as brit and french immigrants too.

• I think the blankets with smallpox was a English (or French?) idea.

• @Yanny:

EmuGod,

The American Indians, in a mere 600 years, went from ruling two continents, numbering in the tens of millions, and being relatively civilized, to a few hundred thousand (Or maybe a million? Not sure how many are left) people who live in the desert in poverty.

Partly because of disease, mostly because of genocide.

Yanny, going back 600 years a lot of Jews died and suffered, and not as much by disease as by their firendly neightbours. Let me list a very brief set of events in Jewish history for you from 600 years onward:

France:
    1. 1306 & 1322 - Jews expelled
    2. 1321 - 160 Jews buried in an enclosed pit at Chinon
    3. 1394 - Final and complete expulsion of Jews from northern France
    4. 1388 - No Jew allowed to live in Alsace-Lorraine
    5. 1420 - Jewish Community of Toulouse Annihilated
    6. 1789 - Jews emancipated after French Revolution (Napoleon instituted decrees once again forcing Jews into ghettos a few years later)
    7. 1845 - Anti-semitic books published by Toussenel
    8. 1854 - Anti-semitic books published by Gobineau
    9. 1886 - Anti-semitic books published by Drumont
    10. 1894-1906 - Strong anti-semitic feeling during Dreyfus Affair - a French captain accused of treason because he was Jewish. Mobs shout out in the streets, “Death to the Jews!”

Germany:
    11. 1880 - Karl Eugen Duehring writes his article “The Question of the Jews Is a Question of Race” which appeals to many.
    12. 1879 - The Twelfth edition of Wilhelm Marr’s “The Victory of Judaism over Germandom” is published where Marrs coins the term “anti-semitism”.
    13. 1879 - Anti-semitism supported by many intellectuals
    14. 1881 - Anti-semitic League becomes active in its recruits
    15. 1882 - Anti-semitic Party wins Parliamentary Seats
    16. 1882 - Ritual Murder charges by Xians lead to mob violence against Jews in Xanten.
    17. 1892 - Synagogue burned by a mob in Neu Stettin
    18. 1933-1945 - Adolf Hitler comes to power and begins the Holocaust through his “Final Solution to the Jewish Problem”.

Austria-Hungary:
    19. 1882 - Ritual Murder charges by Xians lead to mob violence against Jews in Tizsa-Eszlar.
    20. 1885 - Anti-semitic Party launched in Linz
    21. 1897-1910 - Anti-semitic mayor of Vienna speaks against Jews and legislates against them.

Bulgaria:
    22. 1884-1904 - Frequent mob violence against Jews.

Rumania:
    23. 1866-1914 - Government support of anti-semitism leads to the flight of 70,000 of Rumania’s 125,000 Jews.

Poland:
    24. 1648-1656 - Chmielnicki MAssacres lead to the death of 100,000-200,000 Polish Jews.

Russia:
    25. 1563 - Jews in Polotzk who refused baptism drowned.
    26. 1825 - Jewish centres in Tula, bobrov, Pavlovsk, Orlov and Saratov destroyed and Jews exiled to Siberia and Caucasus.
    27. 1654 - Annexation of of territory gives Russia a large Jewish community, many of which was immediately murdered.
    28. 1903 - First publication of “Protocols of the Elders of Zion” in St. Petersburg.
    29. 1905 - “Union of the Russian People” founded carries massive attacks against the Jews, causing 2 million to suffer.

I left out lots of events from many areas of the world including the United States, Britain, Italy and even from the countries I did mention. This is a very very short list that is missing a lot of information.

BTW, Welcome back TG!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m