• I have tried a new strat for US. I call it US Naval pound strategy and I would like some feedback.

The basics are derived from the fact that industrial bombing has been severely reduced with fighter defence and max damage. The remedy for this is to use shore bombardment.

If US build 3 destroyers and minimum 1 infantry and send them to West Germany via Africa, you can send 1 infantry into West Germany from round 3 and on using the increasing number of cruisers (and Battleships) to shore bombard.

Round 1 Russia
    Take West Russia and Ukraine.

Round 1 US
    buy 3 cruiser and 2 infantry

Send the BS and transport from SZ 55 to SZ 20
    Send destroyer from SZ 20 to SZ 10
    Send Cruiser from SZ 10 to SZ 8 (With UK you bought 1 carrier (and landed 2 fighters on it) and 2 destroyers all in SZ 8)
    Send transport from SZ 10 to SZ 8 landing 2 infantry, 1 artillery and 1 tank in UK.

Send all fighters and the bomber on their way towards UK.

Now place 3 Cruiser in SZ 10 and 2 infantry in East USA.

Round 2 US
    buy 3 cruiser and 1 infantry

Send 3 Cruisers and one destroyer from SZ 10 to SZ 12

If SZ 12 is out of range of German Battleship
    Send 2 transport from SZ 8 to SZ 12 with 2 infantry, 1 artillery and 1 tank, invading Algeria, Shore bombarding with 3 cruiser (bring bomber)

SZ 12 is in range of German Battleship send 1 transport to SZ 6 and one to SZ 10.

Send the BS from SZ 20 to SZ 11
    Send transport from SZ 20 to SZ 10
    Send cruiser from SZ 8 to SZ 6 (With UK you bought 3 transports and 2 infantry all in SZ 6 where your navy now is)

Now Germany can choose to attack your cruisers and destroyer in SZ 12 but it will cost 2-3 figthers. So he is welcome to do so.

Now place 3 Crusier in SZ 10 and 2 infantry in East USA.

Round 3 US
    buy 3 cruiser and 1 infantry/artillery/tank depending on income

Send 3 Cruisers from SZ 12 to SZ 7
    Send 1 Cruiser from SZ 6 to SZ 7
    Send BS from SZ 11 to SZ 7
    Send transport from SZ 12 or SZ 6 with 1 infantry

Invade West Germany with 1 infantry (poor fellow) and conduct shore bombardment with 4 cruisers and 1 BS totalling of 17 points or on average 2,83 hits (8,5 production points) you lost 3 production points.

Send transport from SZ 10 to SZ 12 with fresh men and the one from SZ 12 back to SZ 10 for men next round.

Now place 3 Cruisers in SZ 10 and 1 infantry in East USA.

Rest of rounds US
    This goes on and on. Assuming that Germany always replenishes West Germany with enough infantry to repel an invasion (if not then UK can invade) each hit has a value of 3 production points. Thus the value of the naval pound strategy is as described below (in round 5 and on US can only buy 1 BS and 1 cruiser maybe only two cruiser, depending on loss of Hawaii, but the value of the pump is still strong.

Round 1: 0 hits / 0 production points
    Round 2: 0 hits / 0 production points
    Round 3: 2,83 hits / 8,5 production points
    Round 4: 4,33 hits / 13,0 production points
    Round 5: 8,83 hits / 17,5 production points
    Round 6: 7,33 hits / 22,0 production points
    Round 7: 8,5 hits / 25,5 production points
    Round 8: 9,67 hits / 29,0 production points
    Round 8: 10,83 hits / 32,5 production points

Now US can afford a few extra units besides the boats. These are sent to Africa to prevent Germany from taking this continent, thus reducing the income of Germany further.

Meanwhile UK will send troops into Karelia to support Russia. With this Russia and UK will be able to hold back Japan until Germany is so weakened by US that, Germany will fall to the forces of UK that has been mounting up in Karelia.

• Official Q&A

@kean99ac:

Invade West Germany with 1 infantry (poor fellow) and conduct shore bombardment with 4 cruisers and 1 BS totalling of 17 points or on average 2,83 hits (8,5 production points) you lost 3 production points.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is illegal.  The number of ships bombarding a territory in an amphibious assault is limited to the number of land units being brought in by transport.  One infantry landing equals one shore bombardment shot.

• If I understood it right, you send in just 1 Inf and let the cruisers/battleships score the hits.
    May I refer you to page 15, quoting
    “The number of ships that can make bombardment attacks is limited to one ship per land unit being offloaded from the transports in that coastal territory.”

So with just one man offloaded you just get one shot.

And btw : Ftr defense on industrial bombing is an optional rule.  (page 14).

Hey, 41 seconds behind Krieghund is not too bad but still 2nd place. ;)

• Damm, had not seen that rule. And I have been playing this game for 20 years.

Well it was also too efficient to be true

• Official Q&A

Don’t feel bad.  This is a relatively new rule.  It debuted in the Anniversary Edition (2008), so versions prior to that didn’t have it.

• Ok, then I understand. I havent played 50th version.

Guess I am back to shuddeling troops to Norway and Africa.

• Depends on which game you are playing…if you are playing an older version it might be okay to do this ( you will have to read your rulebook), then go ahead and use it…

but remember to post in the appropiate FORUM,  this is the Spring 1942 forum…it is  (if I’m not mistaken ) for the folks playing the version that came out August 2009 and is what is being currently sold in the stores. And they cover this in the Rulebook…only one Bombardment per Transport off-loading.

• @Cuyahoga:

And they cover this in the Rulebook…only one Bombardment per Transport off-loading.

Just to confrim, as I do not have a rulebook in front of me, is it not - One bombardment per UNIT offloaded? (as stated in the posts above?)

• Official Q&A

Yes, one per land unit.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m