So with all the talk about low luck dice coming curious if anything is being changed about Random dice generator in this game?

• Or should I say not so random

• @brian-cannon The preview build of the next update has 3 dice modes:

• Random
    • Biased
    • Low Luck

This should address all the requests we’ve been getting and provide solutions in balance:

• players who respect the challenges of RNG and are ready to overcome not only the tactical approach of your opponent but also the difficulty of bad rolls will play with Random Dice
    • players who don’t want to see “lopsided” results and feel they want “fair” dice will play with Biased Dice
    • Low Luck fans obviously will play with Low Luck dice.

• Would love to see low luck dice in ranked game. I keep loose battle that I have 90% odds in my favor. :)

• @moonzar said in So with all the talk about low luck dice coming curious if anything is being changed about Random dice generator in this game?:

Would love to see low luck dice in ranked game. I keep loose battle that I have 90% odds in my favor. :)

Me too, but it is really hard to find opponent for a LowLuck game…

• Having played the classic edition back in the day, the wild swingyness of the dice mechanic was always a bone of contention. A lot of board wargamers dismissed it as a kids game because luck was such a big factor, I always appreciated the unpredictability.

There are basically two types of wargamer, or two ends of an axis we all lie on. Some treat these games as puzzles to solve, to find the ‘right’ tactic or the perfects strategy. Then there are those that like having to think on their feet and adapt to the situation as it unfolds.

A&A in all its forms has always been a game for the latter group. Yes you need to strategise, but you need to hedge your bets, have a backup plan, adapt creatively to unexpected reverses. That’s the fun of it.

As for randomness, if you randomly generate points on an x/y graph, you’ll quickly notice that the points tent to form clumps and little chains. Truly random distributions are not smooth or evenly distributed. Humans are hard wired to see and create patterns. We’re truly awful at generating random numbers ‘by hand’ and also terrible and judging whether a range of numbers are random or not. There’s been bags of research on this. I play role-playing games so Ive rolled huge numbers of dice and seen some amazing runs of luck, disastrous bad luck and just numerically weird looking results. That’s just randomness for you. I’ve had this argument with gamers ‘proving’ that particular outcomes were almost impossible. Yes. All the possible outcomes are almost impossible, when you roll enough dice. They’re all equally unlikely. That’s the point.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m