• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Adlertag:

@Imperious:

Revised is dead. Anything associated with that will die as well.

In case you didn’t know, Anniversary ed come in a very limited print. Its like if you live in Europe and dont have it by now, you’ll never get it. Then as the years pass, anything associated and bla bla bla …and dont pretend like you dont know.

I’m sure it will be re-released once the manufacturer realizes that there are electronic methods of playing the game.  It was probably a limited edition because they knew, come to think of it, why retool and keep a factory set up to produce parts to a game forever where the group who plays it will buy their copy or copies and play online forever.

Dunno, maybe I’m the only person in the world who buys the Axis and Allies games, leaves them in their shrink wrap, and plays electronically?  I just own a copy so I can say I have the right to play it. heh

• @Cmdr:

It was probably a limited edition because they knew, come to think of it, why retool and keep a factory set up to produce parts to a game forever where the group who plays it will buy their copy or copies and play online forever.

This prove WOTC dont understand the motivation of people that buy games with plastic miniatures.

• @Cmdr:

Dunno, maybe I’m the only person in the world who buys the Axis and Allies games, leaves them in their shrink wrap, and plays electronically?  I just own a copy so I can say I have the right to play it. heh

The game is more fun playing face to face.  The social aspect is a large part of the experience.

The taunting, the shouting at the dice, the precious looks on your opponents face when you shoot down 3 of 4 bombers when they should easily take your capital but now can’t….

I have to agree with Imperious Leader… play the game in person (if you can).  That’s how it was meant to be played.

Someone check the space time continuum because I think there’s a major tear or soon to be a major tear in it.  Why?  Because Axis and I are agreeing on something.

Face to face play trumps internet play in fulfilling-ness of playing the game.  But I think what I said is still true about WOTC, they’re looking at the bottom line, not on an expanding player base.  Most companies, IMHO, feel that the computer is where games are played, not on cardboard mats with cute little miniatures for avatars.

That said, when you have two small children at home, playing on a board is akin to over throwing the US Government with a stick of chewing gum, a pink eraser and a cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper - if you are MacGuyver then great, otherwise, just give it up!

• @Cmdr:

That said, when you have two small children at home, playing on a board is akin to over throwing the US Government with a stick of chewing gum, a pink eraser and a cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper - if you are MacGuyver then great, otherwise, just give it up!

Dibs on MacGuyver!

He’s playing Germany/Italy, I get Japan…
    What allies would dare oppose us?

I think MacGuyver would play America and China honestly.  Considering he was a U.S. Gov’t employee in the series. (Worked for the Pheonix Foundation, but that was a government agency created with Pete as the leader after Pete left the spy agency he was working for at the very earliest episodes.)

• Wouldn’t MacGuyver just make some kind of weapon out of the game components? Or perhaps burn the plastic soldiers in order to create toxic fumes that would render the other players unconscious… or, using chewing gum and foil, create unique pieces with extra abilities to give him the edge…

You could simulate having Macguyver in the game by just adding a tech to your nation automatically :mrgreen:

• True. If Germany has duct tape tech and Japan has paper clip, the Allies are doomed. :-D ~ZP

• On the Caspian Sub thing, I know the creator also, we’ve played a few times.  I introduced AA50 to him a couple months ago.  We sat down and playtested it a few times.  He wasn’t very impressed.  He thought the game was broke and that Allies could win nearly every time though he did admit that it was an early assessment.  He’s getting into some tournament chess like myself.  I’ve been playing it for a while and told him he would be good at it.

He’s got a brilliant mind for strategy games.  I have learned a lot from him.  If he wanted to he could do very well at AA50.  He was the only one at GenCon to win Smorey’s Axis and Allies tournament for Revised alone!  We’ll probably play again soon and I am going to talk to him about Csub!

I kept a few of his articles- his tactical articles are still very valuable for the AA50 game- but not the strategic ones anymore as they were geared toward Revised

Questioneer

• I read most of the articles and posts on the Caspian Sub group. They had some nice strat papers for beginners.
    Few of them will be relevant for the AA50 though.

AA50 is no more broken than AAR, and almost all players here agree that AA50 is better than AAR. Also in AAR allies would win almost all games between experienced players if axis didn’t get any bid.

AA50 is not different in this matter. It’s not possible for game testers to balance it out with short amount of time, and using different rules and setup. I guess none of the AA50 play testers used software, if this was available during the play testing it would be much more efficent and the game would be more balanced when it was released.

I think the creator of the Caspian Sub should make a new group for AA50.

• @questioneer:

I kept a few of his articles- his tactical articles are still very valuable for the AA50 game-

Are this articles awailable on net, or could you post them here ?

• I have copies of most of his articles- at least the ones I thought were the most valuable.  The best I could do is scan them for you.  I’m glad I printed them off.  I don’t think you can find them anywhere.  The articles of most importance:

US shipping- still very good for AA50- a must have!!!
    Tactics- also still applicable- also a must have for AA50

about other papers:

the Baltic Papers- 1-4- you can still pick up some ideas here but for the most part they are now useless.

Canadian Shield- pretty much dead in AA50

German turtle- may need this in AA50 for some endgames

India Complex- somewhat useful in the fact that you should ask yourself similar questions when building a complex anywhere.

Z42 Progression- won’t work because Canadian Shield is dead, however the concepts can help you keep your eyes peeled in other places on the new AA50 board.

KJF article by MightyAirforce- can still get some ideas here if your a KJF strategist.

There were a few others but they weren’t as important to me.

I am also making my own “Beginners Strategy” papers like the ones Caspian Sub had- these are really beneficial for starting out.  I still have the printed ones from Revised.

Questioneer
    :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m