• We all know the rule about attacking subs having the sneak ability, so they shoot first and units that they hit are lost without being able of shooting their ‘casualty shoot’ (if no DD present)

but something it’s not clear for me is what happens with defending subs. They should roll their dices first (like attacking ones)… but what happens with their hits? does attacking ships torpedoed by defending units sunk without even attacking?

example:
    Attacker has three Cruisers
    Defender has four subs and one cruiser

battle: defender rolls his subs and got 3-2-5-1! ok! one hit…

what happens next? are one attacking cruiser already lost and the attacker rolls just 2 dices during his attacking phase?

• From my understanding that is correct.

• @Jaybird:

From my understanding that is correct.

So is from mine.

• Since the attacker has no destroyer, the defending subs fire first when they chose not to submerge.
    The hit they made will result in a cruiser being destroyed before it gets the chance to fire back.

After the sub rolls, two attacking cruisers and one defending cruiser roll their combat.

• Yes this seems to be the rule. Not intuitive though, for why a defending sub gets a “surprised attack”. I guess the reasoning is that the sub is viewed to be invisible, even as a defending unit.

• Krieghund already explained that it is a problem of wording, the word selected “attack” should have been “surprise strike” or “surprise firing”, if I am not making a mistake.

I am not english born but I am considering that “surprise attack” has been not used to indicate the “attack” but the roll of the dice trying to hit the enemy. I do not see the need for a specification for the sub being in defense being able to perform a surprise strike. It is a sub ability to stay hidden and strike by surprise. It do not depend by the role in the battle, the sub is  aiming to hit the enemy in both case, attack and defense, acting in the same way: lurking below the surface, hidden and dangerous.

• @Romulus:

Krieghund already explained that it is a problem of wording, the word selected “attack” should have been “surprise strike” or “surprise firing”, if I am not making a mistake.

I am not english born but I am considering that “surprise attack” has been not used to indicate the “attack” but the roll of the dice trying to hit the enemy. I do not see the need for a specification for the sub being in defense being able to perform a surprise strike. It is a sub ability to stay hidden and strike by surprise. It do not depend by the role in the battle, the sub is  aiming to hit the enemy in both case, attack and defense, acting in the same way: lurking below the surface, hidden and dangerous.

given this logic, which I am not disputing, why then do subs defend at 1 and attack at 2?  :)

• @AxisOfEvil:

@Romulus:

Krieghund already explained that it is a problem of wording, the word selected “attack” should have been “surprise strike” or “surprise firing”, if I am not making a mistake.

given this logic, which I am not disputing, why then do subs defend at 1 and attack at 2?  :)

same reason why fighters attack at 3 and defend at 4  :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m