Explain your avatar / screen name

• 2007 AAR League

Come on who can beat a guy kicking the crap outta babies  8-)

• @U-505:

@Gamer:

@U-505:

So now that you’ve admitted it M36, will you be changing the statement under your avatar to “My Katz”?

Just to keep this partially on topic, the U-505 was a WWII sub that was captured and is currently on display at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. I was born and raised in Chicago and my grandparents(all German) emmigrated to the US in between the world wars so my screenname is a loose connection between me, my heritage, my hometown, my preferred A&A country, and my favorite museum. My avatar is now THE U-505.

I actually remember travelling to Chicago as a kid, visiting the Museum of Science & Industry and seeing the U-505 and walking inside it.  Pretty cool!  The other cool thing I remember (or, at least, it was memorable) was they had one inch cross-sections of a human (a female as I recall) between panes of plexiglass so you could see all the organs and stuff.  Pretty macabre actually now that I think about it.  But it was one kick-a** museum (in one kick-a** town, I might add).  :-)  The only thing I wouldn’t trade Chicago for is the weather!  I’ll keep my Florida sunshine, thank you very much!  :-D

I agree. I’ve already paid my dues with the Chicago winters. The only thing wrong with Chicago is that it isn’t in Hawaii. Or Illinois isn’t in the south pacific.

Did you see the huge electric train layout? Or the coal mine? The Shedd Aquarium, Art Institute, and Field Museum are world class but the Museum of Science and Industry has all of the coolest toys. And you can’t visit Chicago without seeing the U-505. It’s a landmark. Plus, now it’s got a new building all to itself to protect it from deterioration with some added interactive stuff to play with. I think I’m going to plan a summer vacation just to go up and see it.

Wow, I totally forgot about the coal mine – man, was that cool!  :-)  I’m thinking they had the electric train layout too, but I’m not sure about the rest.  This was the late 1970s and I was oh, about 11-12 at the time.  The other cool thing about that trip was I got to ride an Amtrak train from Milwaukee to Chicago and got to see a Brewers game.  (I’m sure we would have gone to Wrigley, but my uncle happened to live in Milwaukee, so I’m sure those tickets were easier to score.)  Anywho, nice walk down memory lane there!  :-)

• 2007 AAR League

@Gamer:

Wow, I totally forgot about the coal mine – man, was that cool!  :-)  I’m thinking they had the electric train layout too, but I’m not sure about the rest.  This was the late 1970s and I was oh, about 11-12 at the time.  The other cool thing about that trip was I got to ride an Amtrak train from Milwaukee to Chicago and got to see a Brewers game.  (I’m sure we would have gone to Wrigley, but my uncle happened to live in Milwaukee, so I’m sure those tickets were easier to score.)  Anywho, nice walk down memory lane there!  :-)

Late 70’s? You saw a better baseball team play. My Cubs stunk up the late 70’s.

• @U-505:

@Gamer:

Late 70’s? You saw a better baseball team play. My Cubs stunk up the late 70’s.

As opposed to, say, the late 2000’s?  :lol:

• 2007 AAR League

Not opposed to, as well as. But at least they are spending money on the team.  So when I say have hope for this season, I actually mean it for a change.  :-)

• My first online Axis & Allies Club was Days of Infamy which I joined June 1, 2004.  I wanted a name that fit well with the the war in the Pacific theme and chose Saburo Sakai, by many accounts the leading fighter pilot of the pacific war, with at least 64 kills.  I have since used the Saburo Sakai nickname or a variation of it in all of the Axis & Allies clubs I have joined.

No avatar, both because I haven’t found anything that really fits and I’m too lazy to look.

SS

• @saburo:

My first online Axis & Allies Club was Days of Infamy which I joined June 1, 2004.  I wanted a name that fit well with the the war in the Pacific theme and chose Saburo Sakai, by many accounts the leading fighter pilot of the pacific war, with at least 64 kills.  I have since used the Saburo Sakai nickname or a variation of it in all of the Axis & Allies clubs I have joined.

No avatar, both because I haven’t found anything that really fits and I’m too lazy to look.

SS

How about his picture?

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Yeah, but I don’t look anything like that guy  :lol:

• @saburo:

Yeah, but I don’t look anything like that guy   :lol:

Well, that may be a good thing, eh?

• Pappy Boyington would have owned him.

• who is for Dr. Who, the poplular British sci-fi show that started the same year I did in 1963.  69 is for the world champion '69 Kansas City Chiefs.  Picture in my avatar is the ship I use for my TOS movie era sim USS Beowulf.  http://www.ussandromeda.us/Beowulf/sms-2.0.2-standard/

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m