@Contango thanks for the pictures
So is the most optimal counter for an all in Russia attack really abandoning EVERY thing except Moscow? I suppose this would deny the VC but give Germany almost all of Russia’s ipc value for free.
the UK advice seems pretty strong but what do you think makes a better permanent main landing for the allies: Normandy, north/south Italy, or south France? (assume your not playing a mod that appears to have made southern France neutral)
For Russia it might be a bit strong to say to abandon absolutely everything. I think you can justify deviating from a full on retreat under certain circumstances:
- You can make a case that your deviation stands a good chance of actually helping your Moscow odds.
- Trading units to re-take Novgorod, Ukraine and Volgograd -> not only kills German units but also denies factory usage
- Sending some mechanized units to kill small groups of German tanks/mechs trying to do a Northern run-by to gobble up income
- If Germany moves ahead too quickly, or splits up and leaves you an opportunity to strafe his army and still be safe afterwards, (a strafe is where you make an attack with intentions of retreating on purpose) or otherwise leaves you a lucrative unit trade
- Germany has allocated resources away from Russia, so Russia can now flip to offense.
- German production switches heavily to the Atlantic
- Germany decides to do a mid-game Sea Lion
- Germany goes hard with mechanized units into the middle east leaving you outnumbering his slower army
As for my thoughts on an Allied permanent landing:
Normandy is probably the best:
- Free factory
- Opportunity for UK ground troops to use US transports easily
- UK Air cover (watch the Italians taking out your airbase before Germany’s turn)
- UK production of extra naval units if things get lively and it’s necessary
- Furthest from Moscow, meaning German planes have to pick one or the other
- German infantry/artillery have to move off of defending West Germany to get there
- Can quickly switch to the Med if you see opportunity
- Threat of sniping Berlin (US takes Denmark, UK follows up with transports to Berlin)
I find Norway is good, but kind of situational. You can sometimes really annoy Germany with a small investment of suicided transports and not taking your entire fleet out of position and away from air cover.