• what do you think about human cloning, what do you think about clonig for the making of organs, what do you think of cloning in general

-NEWS-

Religios cult that belives that humans are clons of aleins “claim” that they have cloned a human beening dubed “Eve”

Truth or is this just a hoax?

• Should be persued. There is nothing wrong with cloning from my point of view. If it saves lives, I’m happy.

• imho the raelian (?) sect has yet to prove that they really accomplished the cloning of a human baby. From a biological point of view the question is not, if they can transplant the dna to the phylum but if the baby is healthy at all which only future can show.
    In general, I think successful cloning is mankinds step into a new era and it will definately be abused in future, either for military or social (2-class-society) purposes. But when that happens I’ll be already gone…:)

• let me know when they’ve solved the “telemere shortening” problem.
    Then i’ll care.
    In the meantime, as long as we’re aborting children, i don’t see the point in creating more people. If anything, we should be figuring out ways to decrease the population on this earth.

• We need to ban it. And we also need to pressure the international community to do the same.

First, there’s absolutely no gaurentee of what would happen with a cloned human. There have been so many problems in animals, that it’s frightening to think about what could happen in a human. Cloned animals have mysteriously just “dropped dead,” they have developed weird diseases and cancers that normally are found only in adults, and the list goes on.

Secondly, the success rate for cloning humans isn’t worth the sacrifice of life at all. It’s around a 95% failure rate for cloning animals, and that would probably be even higher for humans. Imagine how many humans we’d have to “throw out,” simply to be successful in cloning one. Then there’s no gaurentee that that “one,” would even be a healthy human.

As for the argument that it could save lives. Well, too bad. I know it sounds harsh, but that’s crossing the line when you are breeding humans simply to cure others.

• w.r.t. saving lives - we can’t even get xenotransplantation to work - i’m not certain that there is an ethical way to groom harvestable humans via cloning measures in a way that would work either. I can see the use of stem cells in creating new organs due to their lack of differentiation, but this is, i believe, a different argument then cloning.

• With the right technology cloning should be possible. But I suggest we first cure the process of cloning animals before we move onto humans.

• No need to harvest humans. We could be growing Organs in 5 years, if the Government provided sufficient funding. My only fear is these organs will be sold for huge sums of money.

• @cystic:

as long as we’re aborting children, i don’t see the point in creating more people.

CC, thats not why people have abortions, in general

• oh, i know that all too well YB. I’m not looking forward to dealing with that issue first hand.
    It’s just so ridiculous that our society seeks to kill babies while trying to clone living people. We sell our souls, decreasing genetic variability, for what?

• I agree with you CC.

It’s very hypocritical if you ask me. :(

• Apart from the religious hailstorm is the legal issues. Cloning could lead to a form of slavery if companies own human clones for the sake of medical research. Later, cloning for hard labor work or war is just the next step…All this…Very bad me thinks…

• I added a poll guys[and gals]

• It’s just so ridiculous that our society seeks to kill babies while trying to clone living people. […] decreasing genetic variability, for what?

Agreed. The problem is that there’s $$$ to make with that technology, so i really think it’ll hard to stop them, exept if there’s an international resolution, supported by all country.

• This kinda reminds me of the scene in Jurassic Park, where Malcome says “You you so concerned with whether or not you could, you never stopped to think if you should.”

• @Jazz:

This kinda reminds me of the scene in Jurassic Park, where Malcome says “You you so concerned with whether or not you could, you never stopped to think if you should.”

classic.
    the creed of medico-bioethesists everywhere.
    although i’ll hold to my observation that they too live and die by the slippery slope argument/fallacy.

• I doubt we’d evolve into a society of Clone-slaves. It is impossible to tell a clone apart from another human. In fact, some of the time, they don’t even look alike (Animal clones).

Cloning would practically be applied to grow organs, not to grow people. Remember, a clone has to mature like a real human. A clone is simply a twin.

• @Yanny:

I doubt we’d evolve into a society of Clone-slaves. It is impossible to tell a clone apart from another human. In fact, some of the time, they don’t even look alike (Animal clones).

Cloning would practically be applied to grow organs, not to grow people. Remember, a clone has to mature like a real human. A clone is simply a twin.

Yanny, i think you may be mixing up “cloning” with stem cell research. I don’t know how one might “clone a human” for organs, and then harvest them. What would you do with the person you’ve created? Kill them for their heart, lungs, etc.?
    The idea of cloning mere organs is a very tricky one. To simply take the DNA of the genes whose products are found in an organ, transcribe to RNA and translate to DNA and think that you’ll have a semblance of an organ is extraordinarily dicey.
    Otherwise can you be more specific? I can kind of see cloning animals w/ human gene products or organs that may be suitable for humans, but even that is problematic (particularly where retroviruses and prions are concerned).

• Stem cell research basically is cloning, just on a smaller scale.

Cloning complete humans really is pointless. I can’t think of a single practical application for it (except for 2 women wanting to have a baby w/o a male involved, or a male is “ill-prepared” for the task).

• @Yanny:

Stem cell research basically is cloning, just on a smaller scale.

hmmmm . . . well, not if you are speaking relative to the Raelian’s supposed “accomplishment”. As stated before, stem cells basically are undifferentiated tissue (or early/primary pseudo-differentiated tissue) - that is tissue that has not “decided” to become a liver/heart/brain/skin etc. Anyway, the stem cells need to come from somewhere - usually from aborted foetal tissue.
    Now am i to understand that you would apply principles of cloning to create a foetus in order to raid/harvest it for stem cells in order to create organs? How would you deal with the telomere shortening? The ethics of willfully creating a living being for the purpose of destroying it? The fact that there is already more than enough foetal tissue being flushed down sewers every day on this continent?
    I think you are doing both issues a disservice by attempting to combine them for the sake of discussion. There is already enough cloud in each issue.

Cloning complete humans really is pointless. I can’t think of a single practical application for it (except for 2 women wanting to have a baby w/o a male involved, or a male is “ill-prepared” for the task).

Well, there are other fertility issues, miscarriages, perinatal deaths, creating the perfect George Bush asassination army, testing scientific applications . . . but largely you’re right.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m