• Australia, Eastern Canada, S. Africa, French Indo-China, to name a few.  My ships can enter any adjacent seazone I choose right?

I’m a big fan of this, seeing that I have OPTIONS for ship placement in the case of impending threats/flexibility to agenda.

Second, in the case of a US invasion of Japan, or any invasion involving aircraft carriers.  Can I sortee more US fighters than I could feasibly land on my two Aircraft carriers, thinking, I may lose some in the fray, or even choose to take some hits with them?  Is this calculated risk or against the rules?

• My ships can enter any adjacent seazone I choose right?

Correct.

Can I sortee more US fighters than I could feasibly land on my two Aircraft carriers, thinking, I may lose some in the fray, or even choose to take some hits with them?

No. There must be some possible way for EACH fighter to land. Even if it is rather unlikely that a fighter would be able to land, that’s fine, it just has to be possible.

For example, in the scenario you describe you could attack the island of Japan with, say, 2 fighters, planning to land them on a carrier moving into sz62 (sea of Japan). Even if Japan has 10 battleships sitting there, you are allowed to assume the lone carrier will win the battle so that the fighters have a place to land, even though this scenario is extremely unlikely. The fighter mission is effectively a suicide run, since you “know” the carrier will not survive, but its not against the rules since its at least possible (in terms of the rules) for it to be there in the non-combat phase.

It would not be permissible, however, to send a third fighter to attack Japan, since there is no possible way that fighter could land, regardless of what happens during combat.

• but can’t you just as well"assume" that one of the fighters will be shot down?

• If you could do that, Japan could send its full 9 Fighters to take out the Battleship, Destroyer/Transport, AND Bomber/Fighter/Infantry on West US, as well as possibly the Infantry/Fighter on Hawaii.  America would be so screwed.

• @bbrett3:

but can’t you just as well"assume" that one of the fighters will be shot down?

Every fighter has to have a way to land, whether you think it will be shot down or not. If you can’t come up with a way for it to land, it can’t attack.

Pretty simple really.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m