Question regarding submarines and transports in amfibious assault

• Germany wants to invade the UK with 3 transports and air support. The sea zone is defended by two french ships (cruiser and destroyer) and a British submarine.

What happens in the sea battle? The french boats and fighters obviously fight it out. The sub can only fire at boats. But when the two french boats inevitably fall to the 4 fighters and two bombers. What happens next?

1.The submarine destroys the transports, as they cannot fire back and the planes cant shoot the submarine.

or

2. The submarine only gets to fire its first shot attack on the transports and is forced to submerge, as the battle continues, and the remaining transports get to offload their ground units after the french boats are destroyed

• Since Germany didn’t bring a destroyer in, the submarine gets a sneak attack every round (even on defense they get a sneak attack at 1). Since all Germany brought are transports and planes, if the submarine hits, Germany has to take the casualty on a transport.
    The submarine will keep firing every round of combat until Germany decides to retreat.

• So… basically if you have lots of subs, and germany has no destroyers, you just need to kill the battleships/cruisers/carriers in order to wipe out the remaining transports because subs can attack while not being hit by air?

• That is correct. But if the subs are on defense, the attacker always has the option to retreat before all his transports die.

• Actually, said attack is illegal. You need a warship of some kind in order to conduct an amphibious assault from a SZ where enemy subs are present.

• Actually, it’s best to ask that question in the FAQ and/or shoot a PM to Gamerman01 or Krieghund. But I’m pretty sure you cannot conduct an amphibious assault unless you have at least 1 warship of some kind.

• @seththenewb:

Actually, it’s best to ask that question in the FAQ and/or shoot a PM to Gamerman01 or Krieghund. But I’m pretty sure you cannot conduct an amphibious assault unless you have at least 1 warship of some kind.

I can help too, but Gamerman is usually first to the scene…

The Amphibious assault can never occur.  The subs can never be cleared (and no sub is EVER “forced” to submerge), so the subs will continue to fire, and their hits can only be assigned to transports, so eventually the attacker would be left with aircraft.  Or, the attacker would retreat.

In this example, you wouldn’t necessarily need a destroyer to be successful, but you would need some naval ships capable of hitting the submarine or encouraging the owner to submerge it or lose it.

• @kcdzim:

I can help too, but Gamerman is usually first to the scene…

You can and you’ve certainly answered a question or two that I’ve asked in the past. It’s just hard to remember how to ‘spell’ your username, so I went with the two I knew. No slight was intended.  :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m