• How about this set of house rules to represent Vichy France:

If the Axis takes both France and one of the two other “continental” French territories, the remaining territory becomes a pro-Axis neutral with the remaining French continental forces and Med. navy as the “activation force.”

Thus, if Germany took Paris and N/B on G1, Italy could activate Southern France on I1, gaining the IPCs, ground forces and med. navy.

• @Pelanderfunk:

How about this set of house rules to represent Vichy France:

If the Axis takes both France and one of the two other “continental” French territories, the remaining territory becomes a pro-Axis neutral with the remaining French continental forces and Med. navy as the “activation force.”

Thus, if Germany took Paris and N/B on G1, Italy could activate Southern France on I1, gaining the IPCs, ground forces and med. navy.

Sure, let’s help the axis even more

• I’d add:

“But if activated Vichy forces are attacked by Allied forces, they fire once then immediately switch sides.”

:-D

• @Pelanderfunk:

How about this set of house rules to represent Vichy France:

This is an interesting concept, and there are not many French ground troops in the other two French continental tt (the navy is a concern). I like that you didn’t include all the French colony troops (to much change of forces/balance).
    I do have a couple of questions.

Ground units:

1. Why do you have to take Paris + one more? Once Paris falls I don’t see a problem with turning the other two pro axis (only 3 ground units in total).

2. Do the French continental tt(s) become pro axis immediately after Paris falls so Germany could then use a tank/mech from W Germany or Holland in noncombat to claim its prize(s) There might be a need to delay the process where they become pro axis at the end of Germany’s turn and Hitler can’t claim them. A delay would also give UK a Chance to kill the pro axis ground units before Italy could claim them.

Sea Units: Edit: I now see that you were only talking about the sz93 French fleet, so most of these questions don’t apply, but the comments about the Med fleet does.

1. Which axis power claims the French fleet. Do they covert to whoever is closer? I guess the Cruiser in sz112 (if Germany doesn’t kill it) should end up German (they did take Paris). The dd & cruiser in sz 93 (if they survives) could go to who takes S France I guess, which would be Italy if Hitler is forced to delay (see above). Then there is the dd floating off the coast on F Mad, it should probably stay allied?

The French fleet would cause some concern, lets look at the fall out of that. On G1 does Germany hit sz112 to clear it (killing its own potential French cruiser). At this time the French cruiser would still be allied, but if Paris falls (battles are all at same time) it would become axis at the end of Germany’s turn right (mob units phase?). So it gives Germany options to build units in that sz w/its new cruiser, but not noncombat in (UK cruiser block) interesting.

*Then there’s the French fleet in sz93 that normally gives the UK cover when taking out the Italian fleet. Does it convert to pro axis end of G1, but is in limbo (not assigned to a power), and can’t be used to attack (could UK share that sz). Or should it be whoever takes S France (adjacent) gets the navy at its mob phase? Either way it kinda gives the Med to the Italians.

Edit:
    I reread your orig proposal and see you are only allowing the French Med Fleet to go rogue (which would be an easier transfer). If Germany ends up taking S France, I guess they would get the Med navy. I still think it would be ok to allow both continental tt to go pro axis if/when Paris falls. It’s the timing of when the other continental French tt turn pro axis that is still a concern. Do you want Germany to get them all G1?

• Edit:
    I reread your orig proposal and see you are only allowing the French Med Fleet to go rogue (which would be an easier transfer). If Germany ends up taking S France, I guess they would get the Med navy. I still think it would be ok to allow both continental tt to go pro axis if/when Paris falls. It’s the timing of when the other continental French tt turn pro axis that is still a concern. Do you want Germany to get them all G1?

• @WILD:

Edit:
    I reread your orig proposal and see you are only allowing the French Med Fleet to go rouge (which would be an easier transfer). If Germany ends up taking S France, I guess they would get the Med navy. I still think it would be ok to allow both continental tt to go pro axis if/when Paris falls. It’s the timing of when the other continental French tt turn pro axis that is still a concern. Do you want Germany to get them all G1?

what do you mean by “going rouge”?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@WILD:

Edit:
    I reread your orig proposal and see you are only allowing the French Med Fleet to go rouge (which would be an easier transfer). If Germany ends up taking S France, I guess they would get the Med navy. I still think it would be ok to allow both continental tt to go pro axis if/when Paris falls. It’s the timing of when the other continental French tt turn pro axis that is still a concern. Do you want Germany to get them all G1?

Ok I meant rogue.

• @WILD:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@WILD:

Edit:

Ok I meant rogue.

What does that mean in game terms?

• I think it means changed sides, or went off on their own doesn’t it. Like when a spy goes rogue?

Maybe I’m still spelling it wrong, but I don’t think so.

• He says he wants the french fleet to be an activation force, whatever that is

• I believe under his Vichy rule if the France tt (Paris) falls, that S France (or Normandy) could become pro axis. An axis power would then be able to noncombat in to say S France, and the French units their would convert to that axis power. As a bonus he is also giving the French fleet in sz93 (off the coast of S France) to that power that now controls S France. He is calling the existing French units in S France and the existing French fleet in sz93 an “activation force”.

I just don’t think he realized that by oob rules Germany could noncombat into S France on G1 (from W Germany or Holland with a tank/mech), after it took Paris if indeed S France immediately becomes pro axis upon the fall of the France tt (Paris). This could give all 3 French continental tt to Germany G1 with extra units and the sz93 ships.

• Not to mention it would make the game unbalanced because it rules out a Taranto

• Yeah, it does have some long term side effects, I mentioned above that it would give the Med to the axis (which would mess w/balance).

I don’t know though, they have put in the optional rule that German subs raid convoys at 3 ipc’s. I would think you would only use this optional rule if you (or your group) thinks the game is tilted to the allies. Some kinda of Vichy rule (that many people asked for) could do the same thing if offered as an option. So keep an open mind.

• I’m suggesting this rule because my opponent and I have not seen an Axis win in 8 games (euro only). I would like to think that we are at least intermediate players, but the games have been heavily lopsided.

Our first few games featured aggressive Axis opening moves that relied too heavily on the dice; the games ended quickly because at least one major Axis attack would fail early on – when Italy/Germany is making less than Russia/UK and they’ve lost their initial arms superiority, the game is pretty much done. For instance, neither of us has taken France without at least three planes and the full ground force. We’ve also had two Sealion failures, one against an almost undefended London where the dice gods just shat on me. Obviously these attacks won’t fail every time, but it’s hard to spend 30+ mins setting up a game only to risk it on your opening moves.

Our later games have been much more conservative (probably because we got hurt so many times with aggressive moves), but without aggressive play, you can’t get far into Russia before the US comes knocking.

Basically, the Vichy rules do two things:

1. They give the Med to the Axis, or at least make it a battle.
    2. They give the Axis a slight boost in troops.

We’re just trying to find a way to a balanced mid-game that doesn’t involve risking the whole game on the opening moves.

• Bad idea, America Doesn’t need the help. Just played a game where (me) Germany took London on G2 and American managed to do pretty well without British help what so ever. Having Vichy France would have made it was too unbalanced in the Med. for the Americans early on. Not fair.

• @Cornmeal:

Bad idea, America Doesn’t need the help. Just played a game where (me) Germany took London on G2 and American managed to do pretty well without British help what so ever. Having Vichy France would have made it was too unbalanced in the Med. for the Americans early on. Not fair.

Huh? You’re saying it helps the allies? Wow, your axis players do not know how to handle the US

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Cornmeal:

Bad idea, America Doesn’t need the help. Just played a game where (me) Germany took London on G2 and American managed to do pretty well without British help what so ever. Having Vichy France would have made it was too unbalanced in the Med. for the Americans early on. Not fair.

Huh? You’re saying it helps the allies? Wow, your axis players do not know how to handle the US

I have a huge issue with the states. I’m thinking of trying a sub warfare on the states with the germans.

• @Cornmeal:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Cornmeal:

I have a huge issue with the states. I’m thinking of trying a sub warfare on the states with the germans.

Subs? Not going to help. There are only 2 sea zones that have US convoys, and one of them only is 3 ipcs. Any subs in either zone will be killed with a DD and planes

• Subs? Not going to help. There are only 2 sea zones that have US convoys, and one of them only is 3 ipcs. Any subs in either zone will be killed with a DD and planes
    thinking

Yeah I was Just thinking with a big enough wolf pack you’d be able to distrupt troops coming over to Europe. If anything it would be slowing down transports and take away money from the British if you hadn’t taken England during Operation Seelowe.

• How about a similar rule but for the allies in Italy…. something like the minute Rome is taken all Italy kicks out Musilini and becomes and Allie?  LOL

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m