• Thats a good strategy but generaly Russia is playing safe, they dont have much choise. If russia is making mistakes the allies will soon loose.

• However, the certain eminence of being the Allies is that they can afford to trade causalities man for man. The Allies can out produce the Germans on all fronts, and sooner or later, something has to give. If the odds are even slightly in your favor, go for it. Just don’t try anything foolish like FinsterniS said.

• Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention. Was this with Russia Restricted? I assuming it was. If so, what was the bid? What and where did the Axis player get to place?

• so i didn’t really want to read all of the posts up to this point so i’m just going to respond to the very first one….whoever is playing as the allies either sucks major balls or had the worst rolling experience of anyone’s life…ever! How do you lose moscow by T2? Build a battleship and move all your units AWAY from moscow? that just doesn’t make sense…even with russia restricted you should barely lose karelia at all and should be able to at least stop the next onslaught…if that’s the championship game then i find all those that played laughable…h-…h-…well you all know what laughter sounds like.

• '19 Moderator

economic victory in turn 3 by the axis

Hard to believe but true I have never seen some one roll through Karalia like that on the first turn. My infantry did nothing on defence.

Good game Cameron

• Ouch that has got to hurt. Well good job anyways, Dert Note to self: Remind me never to play Cameron. Bad mojo…

• wotcha.
    good game red.
    if i’d known you’d started a thread on our game i’d have joined in earlier…

i rather think dezrtfish wasn’t used to playing such an aggressive opponent. i’m not usually quite so aggressive but he made it more tempting than i’m used to…

incidentally my winning bid was 16 ipcs: 3 inf in manchuria and 2 inf in libya with 1 ipc save for the germans later use - like getting the 11 inf first turn.

quick note on my notation: if i say 0.x i mean x/6, not the perhaps more logical x/10. i’m just too lazy to convert…

i wasn’t sure i’d take karelia solidly enough but i also wasn’t used to seeing such a small force there [15 inf,1 arm,1 fit, aa defending against 9 inf, 7 arm, 1 bom attacking. 6.0 def hits avg to 5.4 hits avg at start, same number of units at start but my hits would lose him more firepower than his hits on me - the first few anyway ] - i figured i was being baited but i went in anyway, figuring that if it looked bad i could always run away before losing my tanks. the battle went fairly well [for me anyway] - i took it with 1 inf, 7 arm to defend it and the bomber heading to france to threaten the atlantic. too much really for him to take it back. i also took caucasus with the italians to add pressure from the west - he took the bait and diverted valuable defenders to take it back.
    i figured for sure he’d pile everything he could into russia, but surprisingly he didn’t - instead he seemed intent on sending forces to help impede japan’s campaign - including his sole remaining russian fighter [all the air support in russia was british and american] which if he’d sent back to russia with his remaining adjacent forces would’ve held my hand and i’d have never dared attack russia… i can only assume that he didn’t expect me to continue to be so aggressive - even to the point of losing all my top units…

moscow awaited [ 8 inf, 2 fit, 2 bom, aa defending against 1 inf, 9 arm, 4 fit, 1 bom attacking. 4.2 def hits vs 7.2 hits if i got lucky with the aa - more likely 6.5 assuming one downed fit. this time i’d be losing firepower faster but the initial advantage seemed enough to me - that and i was willing to take it all costs - i’ll gladly sacrifice all my armour and air to take russia - especially so early]. i knew i didn’t have to take it with much as i could reinforce it with japanese fighters. the battle went well for me [ taken with 3 arm, 3 fit, 1 bom] and suddenly i’ve got russia and 75 ipcs to burn!

japan did go pretty slowly, but they took the important indian factory - that’s probably what stalled them - i was really intent on getting india on the first turn because he built the factory there and so left myself a bit more daring in other battles - i got raped in china and pearl harbour… but even though i lost many units in asia i killed most of his forces regardless - so after taking russia asia was mine. 84 production and thus economic victory were inevitable.

i’ve noticed that a number of people dislike the economic victory rule. i must admit that i and indeed the rest of my initial playmates hated the rule at first - but it really is neccessary for an axis victory - i’m not sure how likely they are to win otherwise without a higher bid and without the game really dragging on. the game as it stands unmolested is just to heavily slanted in favour of the allies… i wonder if these same people have the same problem with the victory points in a&a: pacific…

regardless, i’m thankful for the game and will gladly accept a rematch! the wonderful thing about playing complete strangers is the completely strange ways they play! it’s far to easy to slip into a rut when playing incestually within the same gaming group… i’m just lucky i managed to change my style accordingly… or maybe i was just plain lucky and my tactics had nought to do with it…

• come on moses - god hates a coward :wink:

• btownthug16. stop living up to your handle and show some respect. dezrtfish is a worthy opponent and i’m sure he’d give you more than a run for your money.

one love.

• I don’t know. That was quite a feat you pulled off and actions speak louder than words. Now I’m use to seeing the Axis win (especially with a high bid), but a turn 3 Economic Victory!? Sorry but the psychological blow is just too much to handle. :smile:

Maybe, when I have train sufficiently and learned the ways of the Jedi will I be powerful enough to stop you. Good luck on the next round! Heard SUD is pretty tough.

• '19 Moderator

I must admit cameron, I am not used to people attacking with germany so agresively. I am also not a numbers person I useualy judge a battle by experience, and I didn’t think you would make either of those attacks. I am also used to looking my opponent in the face. I have a great poker face and I am good at reading others reactions. This gives me a great advantage on a board but just the opposite on the computer.

I had been working on some stratigies to stop the Japs and in my egerness to test these theories I negected the Germans.

When the tournament is over I would be willing to try again.

As for the Economic victory, in my gaming group we useualy use common sense. We don’t go by the 84 bu tif you loosing your loosing. And I think the Allies could go on indefineately by simply over powering the navies of the Axis.

If you ever get down to Arizona let me know I love to bring a good player to the table with my group especialy if he’s on my side :wink:

That invite goes for all of you by the way… even btownthug… I’d like to sit down across table from you and show you just how I “Suck Balls”

• On 2002-05-21 14:17, dezrtfish wrote:
    Well here is an update for the curious. UK2 has just finnished.

The Allies (Dezrtfish) Are taking a pounding. It is round two and the Germans have managed to take Moscow! They are spread a bit thin but have 75 IPC from the conquest of moscow to spend on reenforcing.

The Japs are moving a bit slow and have traded Manchuria for India but have yet to enter China.

The brits are just recovering from the initial pounding by the Luftwafa, and have begun to rebuild their fleet.

The US west coast fleet is in route to the atlantic to bolster the newly developing fleet there.

More news to come.

wait wait wait! how the hell did he take moscow in two rounds? are you doing some alternate strategy?

• dezrtfish,

Yeah, the ability to stare your opponent in the face is an integral part of A&A. It is something that play by e-mail or the computer game. can never fully recapture

• lol. yeah, face to face is a lot more fun - couple of beers and good tunes - chatting with other players whilst people agonize over their turns…

i don’t know if i’ve got a good “poker face” - i tend to think of that as meaning a blank slate… i tend to go for the bitch talk and obfuscation approach - feigning dismay or joy at various moves… maybe i’ve played too much euchre… but definitely, a lot of the psychological and social aspect of the game is left behind in these rather distant forms of play…

tg moses - [gotta make sure i’m specific now that i know that there’s a “tm” and a “tg”…] you’re mocking me aren’t you…?
    btw, does your good luck comment mean i’m playing sud next?

hmmm… we definitely need a separate forum for touney threads - it hets tricky trying to pick through everything…

apologies to you all for my babbliness! :smile:

• Look, anybody who can win with the Axis in THREE FRIGGIN’ TURNS deserves a little respect from me. And I know Dert isn’t no slouch either, so it wasn’t as if you were going against a Rookie.

BTW, don’t know if you’re playing SUD next round, but it’s looking that way. Beside, you, SUD, and Mr. Ghoul, who else is playing?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m