• I’m not complaining, but I feel that the 7 point Goliath might realistically be a “one use only” unit.  The idea behind a goliath is that it is a mini tank filled with explosives.  It is driven near enemy units and then detonated.  I know the models are just a rough representation and all, but I can’t imagine a unit with a small parking lot of Goliaths next to it with the ability to move.  I know it’s hard to argue about the realism of this game, but in this case, I definitely think that this unit should have been a one use only piece.  I’m sure this is only the first of many gripes about these “reserve” units.

But hey, I’m not arguing about the capabilities that the unit is presently alloted, as I gain a lot from it’s current form.

• It likely represents more than one unit, but not that many units (a la parking garage :P); however they probably just left it open so as to not have to keep track of it, which I don’t mind too much.  Personally I’d like to see less of the single-use SAs so I don’t have to keep track of them all; it’s not so bad in standard sized games, but in larger ones it’s much harder to keep track of who has what.

I think the unlimited uses was simply because (a) it was easier and (b) WotC might have been doubtful players wanted a single-use unit like that. The other thing that surprised me was that it isn’t effected by intervening infantry, as it was common during the warsaw uprising for the polish soldiers to simply cut the wires.

• As far as the Goliath being only “single-use” it might be more plausible if it were fewer points.  I might say make it 3-4 points instead, if every time you use one it gets destroyed…

• @AgentOrange:

As far as the Goliath being only “single-use” it might be more plausible if it were fewer points.  I might say make it 3-4 points instead, if every time you use one it gets destroyed…

That would be an interesting and decent way to handle the realism part.

They are deadly SOBs though. One Hit my IS-3 twice…a disrupt and then on the next turn a damage. A Hungarian AT gun finished my tank off from behind. So yeah, I learned to respect them. (My opponent used the ammo dump. That made alot of difference actually. Deadly combo, that.)

• It’s not as bad as some think. An official game is 7 turns and each unit usually represents more than a single person. Lets say at least two so each man need only posses 3.5 remote “toys”. Here is something else to consider; the man only has a 3 defense. The last two times I played this card I was pinned down or forced back by a hunting sniper and an M2 mortar team. I was never able to make my distance checks and so my Goliath remains without a confirmed kill. I will however continue to play this card for it’s psychological effects. My 7 point card tied up enemy snipers and mortars for the duration of the game.

• @cleveland:

It’s not as bad as some think. An official game is 7 turns and each unit usually represents more than a single person. Lets say at least two so each man need only posses 3.5 remote “toys”. Here is something else to consider; the man only has a 3 defense! The last two times I played this card I was pinned down or forced back by a fanatical sniper and an M2 mortar team. I was never able to make my distance checks and so my Goliath remains without a confirmed kill. I will however continue to play this card for it’s psychological effects. My 7 point card tied up snipers and mortars for the duration. That’s a bargain!

Most, but not all, games tend to last the full 10 rounds. Also Goliaths weren’t exactly light (430 kg) or easy to maneuvre (see the pic below).

However for game play, I think the unit is just fine.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Does a face up disrupted counter effect the Goliath’s special ability?

• @cleveland:

Does a face up disrupted counter effect the Goliath’s special ability?

The two dice rolled as part of Remove Control are unaffected by disruption.
    However, if they succeed, then the subsequent attack will get the -1 from the disrupted counter.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m