Biological Weapons: Iraq and the USA

• So,
    in Geneva (sp?) another conference for an international agreement about how to control the research on, production and stroing of biological weapons, lead by the UN. This is continuing the conference that stopped in Decembre 2001.

Still, the US of A do not want inspectors who control directly at the place where the weapons are produced. They instead want “national measures” to ensure that noone breaches the UN-law of 1975 …
    I now wonder, how the US can do this. And i also wonder, why i among others get accused by USies of using double standards against the US, when they apply them happily.

• I’d love to know that America’s WMD are getting destroyed. Little would add to my sense of security more than that. I hate knowing these things are on the same continent as me.

• @F_alk:

So,
    in Geneva (sp?)

I think its in switzarland

• yea Geneva is in Switzlerland ;)

• YAY-I was right

• I for one wouldn’t want our WMD destroyed. You’re heading down an even worse path if you start thinking that way. :-?

Possessing our own comparable weapons is all that got us out of the Cold War in one piece. Don’t play the “well there isn’t a cold war” card, becuase everyone (with reasonable intelligence) knows that the minute you put your defenses down, all your enemies come knocking at your door. :wink:

• @Deviant:Scripter:

I for one wouldn’t want our WMD destroyed. You’re heading down an even worse path if you start thinking that way. :-?

Possessing our own comparable weapons is all that got us out of the Cold War in one piece. Don’t play the “well there isn’t a cold war” card, becuase everyone (with reasonable intelligence) knows that the minute you put your defenses down, all your enemies come knocking at your door. :wink:

i’d go so far as to suggest that possessing WMD got us into the cold war in the first place. And don’t kid yourself - there is little that is defensive about WMD. Obviously they’re not even a useful deterrent, but rather justification for other nations to possess them. Why should America own them and not other nations? Did God bless America with them? Do they have some devine right to them that no other nation should? 'cuz if this is true than America would not be needed to thwart the aquisition of them. And why is it that America has so many enemies that it needs to threaten them with Nucs? Not even Germany has this problem . . . mind you, they have grown up considerably in the last 50 years or so.

• Explain to me why we need enough nukes to blow up the world a hundred times?

• @Yanny:

Explain to me why we need enough nukes to blow up the world a hundred times?

because if you don’t have enough nukes to blow up the world a hundred times, some other country might, and then they’d win . . . something . . . .

• Obviously they’re not even a useful deterrent, but rather justification for other nations to possess them.

Are you serious? :o
    Can anyone even begin to imagine the sorry shithole that we’d be in right now if it weren’t for the deterrent effect of nuclear weapons?

Why should America own them and not other nations?

That’s the problem. Other nations DO own them, that’s why WE have to own them. :-?

C’mon, somebody back me up on this one.

because if you don’t have enough nukes to blow up the world a hundred times, some other country might, and then they’d win . . . something . . . .

No, it’s becuase if you don’t have nukes, then countries can pretty much blackmail you and threaten you for anything they want! It’s kind of hard to threaten shooting someone if they have a gun in your face also…

• @Deviant:Scripter:

No, it’s becuase if you don’t have nukes, then countries can pretty much blackmail you and threaten you for anything they want! It’s kind of hard to threaten shooting someone if they have a gun in your face also…

That last one is true. The US plays the blackmail card of their overwhelming military power all time. But: Just because someone is an a*shole, doesn’t mean that all the others are too. Of course, the others would love to “pay back”… and in our example some of them did using very little of their limited ressources.
    I wonder why DS sees a need to “threaten shooting someone”, when this someone does not have a gun … why not talk in that case?
    Maybe i could bring up a new theory… the more WMDs, the smaller the balls… ;) ;) ;) ;)

• Well, F_alk, you do bring up an interesting theory. :D

I don’t see a need to threaten shooting someone. That’s not my point. My point is not to threaten them, but simply to make it known that they person holding the gun to your head is not going to come out of the situation in one piece either. If that’s not a deterrent to attack, I don’t know what is. Think of it as “self-defense.”

In your last part, if you’re referring to Iraq, then that’s a different situation. That so-called “unarmed” person is not really unarmed. He’s simply hiding his weapon underneath his jacket. In that case, you can try to “talk” to him (which we did with Saddam) but if he won’t listen, you’ve got to draw the line somewhere, and show him who’s boss.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m