• Why?  Once Japan takes Russia, you can send 8 units a round into Europe…  Plus everythign still in the pipeline from the march on Moscow that just keeps marching…

• I think that trying to decide who gets moscow is really really hard, when the opportunity comes grab it! I doesn’t matter much if its japan or germany that claims, either way the axis will be much stronger with Sov out of the game.

-Daniel Malus

• No Joke.  When USSR falls one of the Axis powers have so much extra money, it doesn’t realy matter anymore. The one that takes moscow helps reinforce the other.

• You may forget about them at first, especially if you’re employing a trannie strat instead of building an IC on the mainland, but eventually, I’d make it a point to sweep 'em all up and at least take them to your economically/strategically valuable spots (i.e.  Japan, East Indies, Phillipines, and the mainland definitely)  I don’t have the game right in front of me, but I’m guessing that’s about 6-8 infantry that would otherwise be sitting there to rot.  I think the islanders should be moving toward the mainland by J3 at the latest.

If Japan has the Tokyo Express NA, then there should be no question - start loading up the trannies on J1!

• And thats why Im asking.  If you just let them sit they are a waste of Resouces.  But picking them up could be tricky.  Just wanted to see if anyone had a special use for them.

• In my last game I pulled out the infantery of Borneo to India in J3…

I had to ship them back to Borneo in J5 because I forgot the starting UK fleet could attempt an amphibious assault by then with some inf they could pick up from Australia…
    (I did a Pearl attack on J1 while UK1 had withdrawn his fleet to Africa)

• that should have been the end of the uk fleet axel.  i use the east indies pair on j3 to take india and usuall have a trannie and a bb and cv w/ 2 figs pick up the rest at their leisure, taking australia and new zealand before heading back to the mainland.  trannies in sz 60 can cherry pick a couple and add one from japan for bury (is it wake and okinawa?) the trannie that hit india can get the others.  really by j5 the islands are pretty much empty and you have half-doven or so grunts in asia you didn’t have to buy.  if usa or uk really are able to island hop (this means something is going wrond), the off-shore usually doens’t give your guys a chance to fire anyway so they aren’t really a defense anyway.

• Just remember, against MOST experienced players, Japan will NOT have the Kwang tranny on J1.

• I think those infantry on the islands are useful, but then again, I also use every part of a whale.

• The mark of a good Japan player is one who not only uses, but knows HOW to use the island INF.  So far, I have gained 6 divisions for use against Asia in my current game, and I have 2 more about to board a tranny… destination unkwown…
    (Bonus points if you know the musical group from the 80’s that sang a song by that title… FYI… I have their greatest hits on CD :-P)

• 2 bands did a song of that name in the 80’s.

The one you are looking for is Expose (with an accent on the e).

The other group is the Electric Light Orchestra written in 1983.  It was a B-side that was intended but not released on the album Secret Messages.  It ended up on 3-disc boxed set released in 1991 that had a short print run.  The new box set included only 2 discs and the song sunk back into the oblivion.

Fortunately, I have both songs by both bands.  Each song is totally different.  I don’t think people did remakes back then.  :wink:

• his UK fleet was sailing the most southern route possible, so, I couldn’t reach them straight ahead…
    He couldn’t attack Borneo, while my superior J fleet was blocking his amphibious assault…
    and if he hadn’t resigned in turn 4, the men of the UK fleet would have been shark meat…

• @ncscswitch:

Just remember, against MOST experienced players, Japan will NOT have the Kwang tranny on J1.

Unless your UK attacker (either Fighter or DD) misses and the trannie hits on round one… like happened to me in my most recent game.   :-(

destination unkwown…
    (Bonus points if you know the musical group from the 80’s that sang a song by that title…

Missing Persons ?

• Send both the destroyer and the carrier against the transport. Your carrier will likely be of little to no use to you if Germany closed off the Suez canal, anyways, so might as well use it to up the chances of you downing the Japanese transport. Letting that Japan transport live is very annoying.

• arrg!

you are right, it is Missing Persons.

• Yes Octo… JamesG got it right… it IS Missing Persons.  Their other hit was “Walking in LA”

As for sending the AC against the TRN also… that depends on what you do with your Aussie fleet… AND if you think the game will go long enough for you to get the AC back to UK via the Cape of Good Hope…

• @ncscswitch:

Yes Octo… JamesG got it right… it IS Missing Persons.  Their other hit was “Walking in LA”

Horay for me!

As for sending the AC against the TRN also… that depends on what you do with your Aussie fleet… AND if you think the game will go long enough for you to get the AC back to UK via the Cape of Good Hope…

Yeah, I didn’t want to totally sacrifice the entire fleet by moving it to Kwangtung.  So I attacked the Trannie there with the fighter, intending to land in Bury which I had stacked as Russia.  The rest of the fleet went straight down and linked with the Aussie trannie.  The Aussie sub went against the Solomons sub.Â

I know I can’t hold Bury for long but Japan can’t sack Bury, do Pearl, and kill the UK fleet down in SZ30 all on turn one.  I wanted to give him a lot of choices and capatalize on what he didn’t do.  Losing the Fighter vs the Trannie, without even killing it, did hurt.  My opponent did Pearl and killed the UK fleet, but it meant his East Indies fleet was out of position on J2 to do much.  If that battle had been off Kwangtung, the Jap fleet would’ve been in a better position J2.

Still not sure what the “optimal” move is with those UK boats.  There may not be one…

• So much of UK’s force distribution in the Indian Ocean depends on G1…

Did Germany take Egypt?  How heavy?

Egypt is a key territory for the Allies… the longer they hold/trade it, the better.

A move I like for UK1 with the fleet is to send the AC, DST AND FIG to kill that pesky TRN off Kwang, then land the FIG in China to help kill Japan’s troops in the near mandatory assault on China on J1.  The remaining fleet off Kwang is a nuisance to Japan, and requires that they do something about it… and with 2 rolls of 3’s, it has to be a fairly substantial something (at least 1 BB plus some air power or other navy).

I also like to strike the Jap Sub in Solomons with the SZ40 navy… Either dead sub, or annoying UK forces just south of Pearl.  Either way, more targets to eat up Japan’s available strike forces in J1.

• @ncscswitch:

The remaining fleet off Kwang is a nuisance to Japan, and requires that they do something about it… and with 2 rolls of 3’s, it has to be a fairly substantial something (at least 1 BB plus some air power or other navy).

There is no difference between a UK fleet near India or a UK fleet near Kwang when I play J…
    their defending roll is still the same and both will perish someday…
    Only nuissance they give?
    you have to pay attention that no trannie goes unguarded…
    but you always have to keep the latter in mind :-P
    (with or without a UK fleet nearby)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m