• no sh*t, i am applying there. i fully understand how it is different from a regular college, i am not only applying there. dont insult me like this

Seriosuly, calm down, Im just jokin around, and I am not insulting you. Im just saying that if you do go their, this arguement is essentially null and viod, so if you get in, it doesnt matter.

also, i love how you basically tell me my friends’ college experiences are basically wrong, because its actually hard, or long, or blah blah blah… they are different from you. different people, situations, backgrounds, and circumstances. dont presume to tell me you know what college will be like for me, because of how it was for you, thats arrogant, self-centered, and narrow-minded. that was YOUR experience, what i describe was the experience of MY friends, mine will probably be similar to one or the other, or maybe it will be completely different. if i go to west point, of course, it will be. jtdc

Um… i never really said that at all. I said what the people at my shcool said about college. I dont think i even mentioned your experiences at all, just giving the testimony form the people i know, so you can look at multiple testimonies when deciding what you think college is like. I never even came close to saying your opinion of what normal college life is like is wrong, since everything after the colon was a quote form someone else, roughly.

first, i never said it was the best, i said allegedly. they say we are like number 12 or something in the state, and pretty high overall in the country. i dont know or care how they determine these rankings, like i said “allegedly”. i do know that my guidance counselors consistently give us material saying how students from our school have an edge over the majority of the country in getting into college, simply because of what high school we are in, and i have friends in other schools who are up to a year behind me material wise, though we are both seniors, and take the highest level courses offered. does this mean anything? who knows? and i dont really care. i attend Ramsey High School, its a public school.

The standard normally used to measure school’s quality is a combination of SAT scores, AP tests. and college acceptances (i dont know what ranking they use for each school, but i think they use the Princeton rankings), as well as other factoirs such as drug use and violence. At least this is the standard used in New Jersey. I know you dont care, but, if anyone else does, there ya go. This generally doesnt have as much to do with the shcool istelf as with the kids going their, but the teachers and administration do help. Dlebarton wouldnt be half the school it is if it was public. Most of the public schools in near me are pretty bad (lots of drugs and poor teachers), according to my friends who go their, so your lucky you have an effective public schools system. Beats paying 20,000 dollars a year :-? .

• well the ranking im quoting (i think 37 in the top 75 in the state, down from 12) is from some magazine of new jersey, which “allegedly” uses screwy ratings to determine the rankings, so i dont know how valid they are.

sorry if i was attacking you, i wasnt responding only to you, but to all of the people (AS, TT2, you) who were talking about colleges. maybe I misunderstood, but i got the impression people were saying my interpretation of college was wrong. that annoys me, and the West Point argument you used has been thrown at me by so many other people, im sick of it. i apologize for getting heated.

• What did I say that you took offense to! :evil:

• i was apologizing to all of you. im too lazy right now to go back and find the offending quotes, but like i said, i probably just misinterpreted your posts, i got the impression you were calling me wrong, etc. if not, then like i said, i apologize.

• sorry if i was attacking you, i wasnt responding only to you, but to all of the people (AS, TT2, you) who were talking about colleges. maybe I misunderstood, but i got the impression people were saying my interpretation of college was wrong.

Its ok, god knows ive overreacted before. Hell, I used to have anger management problems, fortunately I’m all better now :D .

At least thats what my shrink says :lol: .

• I actually think Janus1 is rather intelligent, opinionated, but intelligent! :D

• i am forced by the facts to agree with you mutha. :)

• well, based on strictly academic standards, i would walk into West Point. as an academic school, it gives a top quality education, but the people who attend are not necessarily the geniuses of the world. the things that weed out most of the “brilliant” are the physical aspect of the admissions, the heavy focus on leadership (other schools like it, West Point and other acadamies focus on it), and the requirement of a nomination (the killer, since there are limited spots). after that, the service requirement after graduation, the heavily regulated life at the school, and the affiliation with the military turn others off. so people tend to be more “all-around” candidates. which is why it is the hardest school to get into. academically, the student body has an average of less than, say, harvard or princeton, but they would certainly have a higher “all-around” average.

so like i said, based on my academics alone, i could walk into west point, but if that were the case, so could many other people. its the remaining requirements that weed out the list.

• @tiger_tank2:

You will see in time…college is VERY demanding time wise(eg. 3 1/2 hr. classes). You may have more freedom, unlike highschool. I am a freshman in college, but I only go to school two days during the week. But I’m in school from 8:30 AM - 5:30PM, and not to mention the loads of assignments that tag along. And the weeks fly by at an astronomical rate!!! Before you know it, a whole semester is over!
    So, here’s a tip: as soon as you get your assignments, do them and don’t put them off. And from here I will say farewell, no more posts for me 'till Christmas vacation! Tschuss(ooo, that was way too informal for here! :lol: )! ~~Dru

FYI for TT2 and all other Freshmen at all levels:

http://todai.com/coupon/backtoschool.htm

This is a good place for seafood. They have locations mostly in the west.

The deal thru 9-30-04 is that you eat free when 2 paying adults join you there.

Many of my non-AnA friends like it there.

• @Linkon:

@tiger_tank2:

You will see in time…college is VERY demanding time wise(eg. 3 1/2 hr. classes). You may have more freedom, unlike highschool. I am a freshman in college, but I only go to school two days during the week. But I’m in school from 8:30 AM - 5:30PM, and not to mention the loads of assignments that tag along. And the weeks fly by at an astronomical rate!!! Before you know it, a whole semester is over!
    So, here’s a tip: as soon as you get your assignments, do them and don’t put them off. And from here I will say farewell, no more posts for me 'till Christmas vacation! Tschuss(ooo, that was way too informal for here! :lol: )! ~~Dru

FYI for TT2 and all other Freshmen at all levels:

http://todai.com/coupon/backtoschool.htm

This is a good place for seafood. They have locations mostly in the west.

The deal thru 9-30-04 is that you eat free when 2 paying adults join you there.

Many of my non-AnA friends like it there.

I get a discount soon, you said college freshies get it too right?

• '19 Moderator

Right on, Todai has some good food, and my son just started Kindergarten. Todai for dinner tonight!

• never knew you were a dad dezrt, a belated congrats!

• He is what 32 years old?

• Does that mean he has to be a father at that age?

• @F_alk:

Does that mean he has to be a father at that age?

No, but it is not abnormal to be one at that age…Let me guess, FA, you aren’t! :lol:

• @tiger_tank2:

You will see in time…college is VERY demanding time wise(eg. 3 1/2 hr. classes).

This is bull…I disagree. I have been reading up on college, and I’d beg to differ. Some days you only have an hour or two of classes than the rest of the day is yours. It sounds good. :D

• @MuthaRussia:

@tiger_tank2:

You will see in time…college is VERY demanding time wise(eg. 3 1/2 hr. classes).

This is bull…I disagree. I have been reading up on college, and I’d beg to differ. Some days you only have an hour or two of classes than the rest of the day is yours. It sounds good. :D

it really depends on your courseload. Sure - you could take a history class and spend 3 hours a week in classes.
    My first year i spent 15 hours/week in classes, 10 hours in labs. In addition to this was between 5-15 hours a week for homework, and 2-10 hours a week for lab-preparation.
    Not too bad, but if you have a part-time job, then it gets pretty dicey.

Medical school is different, of course. typically 40 hours a week of classes, and around 20 or so of studying. I recently came off a 12-day-straight stretch of 15+ hour days. This was in addition to the extra 10+ hours of studying that i had to do.

• @cystic:

Medical school is different, of course. typically 40 hours a week of classes, and around 20 or so of studying. I recently came off a 12-day-straight stretch of 15+ hour days. This was in addition to the extra 10+ hours of studying that i had to do.

I know, but medical school is much different then undergraduate…:)

• @MuthaRussia:

@cystic:

I know, but medical school is much different then undergraduate…:)

my first paragraph related to my undergrad.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m