Ambilzi & Grasshopper's 1940 Global Map (Video Added)

• YG why not use matte vinyl ?

I have printed several of ILs maps and the HBG39 board (All HUGE) on matte vinyl without a single problem like you are experiencing.
    It is sturdy (heavy duty) material that is also waterproof.

Anyway is the file in the OP the right one to try and print?
    I only ask because when i open it with my default picture program I cant zoom in without it turning to crap.

Either way i use kinkos. Costs more, but i never get any of the problems you seem to be dealing with.
    Im about to print ILs file but i dislike it, doesn’t line up very well, several errors and the oceans are two completely different colors.
    I would much prefer yours (though I really do not like the bases, or the battleboard or turn tracker -sorry just big eye sores right smack in the middle of the map to me), but it is still the best out there and im willing to give it a try, as soon as tomorrow if its the right file.
    (pm me the right one if not)

And il let you know how it turns out on matte vinyl.

• Sponsor

@Uncrustable:

YG why not use matte vinyl ?

I have printed several of ILs maps and the HBG39 board (All HUGE) on matte vinyl without a single problem like you are experiencing.
    It is sturdy (heavy duty) material that is also waterproof.

I like to glue my maps flush on my custom game table and I was experiencing air pockets with both vinyl and laminate posters.

Anyway is the file in the OP the right one to try and print?
    I only ask because when i open it with my default picture program I cant zoom in without it turning to crap.

Yes it is the right one to use… when viewing it and then zooming, you will need to give your computer about 30 seconds each zoom for it to read the pixels and present it as clear. The file was meant more for printing rather than viewing.

Either way i use kinkos. Costs more, but i never get any of the problems you seem to be dealing with.

It cost a lot more… my print shop charged me $130 for a laminated poster and $220 for a printed styrene sheet. Kinkos quoted me $300 and $500 respectfully.

Im about to print ILs file but i dislike it, doesn’t line up very well, several errors and the oceans are two completely different colors.
    I would much prefer yours (though I really do not like the bases, or the battleboard or turn tracker -sorry just big eye sores right smack in the middle of the map to me), but it is still the best out there and im willing to give it a try, as soon as tomorrow if its the right file.
    (pm me the right one if not)

Ya… I understand that some like our map and some not so much, but I designed it to help beginners at my bunker as well as the experienced players. I get that the battle board and turn tracker are eye sores even though they are placed in unused areas, but the built in bases eliminates 42 crappy cardboard counters from the board, and also saves time on setting up.

And il let you know how it turns out on matte vinyl.

Cheers, I’ve seen them and they look great… you shouldn’t have any problems.

• Of course as soon as i open my fat mouth on how i never experience problems….Kinkos calls me, “um…we are experiencing difficulty”

They apparently are struggling to get your file in particular to print…  :-P

Anyways i was quoted at 188$ after tax for a 40x90 on matte vinyl (ILs map)
    So yours will probably be a little cheaper as i will probably go with 36x78 or somewhere around there, even at 40" width it would be 4" shorter than ILs.

I def want bigger, otherwise i dont see a point in it. number of chips are not a problem, its the number of different units trying to be stuffed into small areas.

One thing i would do if i could do these types of things on my own is make Gibraltar much much larger.
    As it stands Spain is huge and rarely used, where Gib requires atleast one if not multiple force markers (from revised edition)

• Sponsor

Those must be American prices… :roll:

I used the same file to print mine so it should be good. but let me know if they’re saying that the problem is on our end so I can fix it.

Cheers.

• Problem was on their end, and solved .

I went with 38 x 87 matte vinyl
    160$ USD after tax

Looks amazing!

Can’t say how happy I am with this.

Big thanks to YG and co

• Sponsor

@Uncrustable:

Problem was on their end, and solved .

160$ USD after tax

Looks amazing!

Big thanks to YG and co

Awesome… enjoy!

• @Uncrustable:

Problem was on their end, and solved .

160$ USD after tax

Looks amazing!

Big thanks to YG and co

Pics please!

• Had to resize them

image.jpg
    image.jpg

• And more

image.jpg
    image.jpg

• Final 2

image.jpg
    image.jpg

• Sponsor

Hey, I see that you have a green chip on the round one mark of the turn tracker… I thought you didn’t like that feature? lol… and do you still dislike the base icons? Thanks for sharing pics… looks good.

• Sponsor

Here’s a teaser pic before I post my youtube video.

Map2.jpg

• Sponsor

one more….

map1.jpg

• I use HBGs acrylic green airbase and blue naval base markers.
    I will probably be placing them over the white icons (icons are touch smaller than the markers so it works perfect)
    Or maybe i wont…

The turn marker is there i might aswell use it :wink:

All the extras (turn marker, IPC tracker, technology chart, etc…) will definitely be a bonus when playing with new/unfamiliar players.
    And i could get used to them, they do save alot of space.
    Only thing one needs now is NO chart and IPC tracker.

Great map anyway you spin it though!

• Sponsor

I know for a fact that your print is much more colourful and vibrant than mine, I have gotten laminated poster prints done with that file and they were very rich in colour. The map I have decided to place on my table was printed on thick styrene and seems to have a very unique holograph effect which dulls the vibrant colours a tad, but when I run my hand over it… I can totally feel the quality. I was also able to securely paste it bubble free to my table top which was very important to me. I have compared the colour of my print to the original board and they are surpassingly close… your vinyl print however should be much brighter than the original. Here is a picture of the comparison…

map4.jpg

• Customizer

YG,

––Let me say this regarding the above comparison pics. You’re “Dead Soldier Holograph” effected map is still an excellent example concerning color & sharpness as far as I can tell.
    ––The one thing I like MORE about your map is the “Convoy” symbols are in White which makes them much more obvious, and IMHO better looking.

––YG, since I’ve been very busy of late let me ask you a few questions about your map file. Since I’m not a “computer talent”, Do you have or can you make different versions of your excellent map? Such as:

without all of the IPC scoring, round chart, cost chart, battle board, air and naval bases?
    I completely understand and agree with your reasoning for making your map easier for new players,….but I prefer my maps to be “uncluttered”, and if/when I add new UNIT TYPES to the game, the battle board will be incorrect and in the way. Please let me know if you have, or can make a “different” map file for me. I’m glad you got your’s done and Thanks for sharing your pics.

“Tall Paul”

• Sponsor

Tall Paul,

Sorry but Ambilzi is the computer guy of the equation who scanned the original map, I’m the one who designed all the info that clutters the board… lol.

Ambilzi is an extremely busy guy, but I will ask him if he has a basic map file he can share with us.

• Customizer

YG,

@Young:

Tall Paul,

Sorry but Ambilzi is the computer guy of the equation who scanned the original map, I’m the one who designed all the info that clutters the board… lol.

Ambilzi is an extremely busy guy, but I will ask him if he has a basic map file he can share with us.

––Thanks a lot. I’ve been thinking about getting an “improved” version of my enlarged G-40 map.
    I really like the White-colored convoy zones on the map you two have made.
    ––And as far as “the clutter”,….it is well done but just not my preference. Besides, I like to have as many items as possible represented in 3-D form,….like HBG’s new rectangular Airbase pieces(shown below). Also, I like to be as flexible as possible concerning future changes,…like new UNIT TYPES on a Battle Board. Thanks again and I’ll look for your and Ambilzi’s answer.

“Tall Paul”

hbgairfieldlong.jpg

• I’d be interested in a vanilla map aswell.

That is: No bases, no information boxes, no turn tracker, no IPC tracker, etc etc…

• Customizer

“Crusty”,

@Uncrustable:

I’d be interested in a vanilla map aswell.

That is: No bases, no information boxes, no turn tracker, no IPC tracker, etc etc…

––“Great minds think alike”,….sometimes haha.  :-D

“Tall Paul”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m