• yep its legal

history is boring without war
    -joshost

• yes but why would you want to fall back into your own territory seems like a waste of tanks to me

• Well, it could be just cheap income. If the tanks move on (or even stayed), they could end up in an area that the enemy can easily attack and take your tanks out. That’s what i then call a waste of tanks.
    Or maybe you want to prepare a major attack, as you don’t have to retreat to the same place you started from.

To SUD:
    You are the only one here who mentions that you have to declare the whole move before moving.
    Where is that from, and why does it only apply to the Blitz, and not for fighters/bombers returning (even though they do it on a diffferent phase), or why don’t you have to declare where you would retreat to before you attack another territory? I don’t like that interpretation of the rules, and it doesn’t come out of the rules (at least as they are quoted above).

• You may not like that interpretation, but I believe it is the correct one. I had never thought about it before, but I do kind of agree with you. If a tank has more than one friendly territory it can go to after it takes the empty enemy territory it should be able to do it in non-combat like planes. But those are the rules.

• It could also be the fact that a blitz on to an occupied enemy territory would not have inf support and would therefore (most likely) end up with no armor.

• as I have stated many times inf support is useless and if anything is worth taking take it and an enemy terretorrry even if you have to fight it can help you overcome them. Its like this If you destroy more then they can produce you have made a victory

depends again MR… I have never seen someone do all tanks for asia in hopes they will massaacre the holdings there with no superior force… that is just one Example… also if the kill more than you take then you have a defeat 8)

GG

• @MysticalRommel:

as I have stated many times inf support is useless and if anything is worth taking take it and an enemy terretorrry even if you have to fight it can help you overcome them. Its like this If you destroy more then they can produce you have made a victory

but this last bit is why having inf support along is so useful. If you bring only armour to the party, then only armour maybe destroyed. If you bring a combination, then you can choose to lose the cheaper (and less offensive-y) units. But i’ll tell you - if i see a territory with a bunch of arm on it (with no inf), then i’ll be thinking of how to destroy as many of those as possible. I’ll straffe it, attack it, anyway i can. If i can lose an equal amount of inf to your arm, i’m happy.
    Also attacking and falling back into your own territory is a very useful strat, and an excellent use of armour. You can force the other side to split his forces up in order to retake something that you blitzed. A classic maneuver is the Germany 1 when the Liberian armour “blitzes” French Equatorial Africa and dives back into Liberia. This way you can reinforce Lib with units from SEU (air, inf, whatever) and attack Egypt the next turn. A free ipc, and if the UK wants to take it, then this affects its ability to maneuver. If you want a more practical look at this strat, i’ll meet you in a PBEM game . . . ;)

• or another strategy Imagine that in the blitz you have had even though no causulties you are fighting a long drugout war with russia(you are Germany) THe RUssians last turn build a nice tank force and have plenty of air support and they push straight for and take your capitol you have left yourself open and they do not need to split up for they have taken the gold. 8)

• Nothing except airforce matches the power of tanks as an offensive weapon

• if we both had armies valued at 100 ipcs,
    and you had only arm or air,
    and i had a combination of arm and inf,
    then do the odds yourself with you attacking, and try with me attacking.
    compare the victors’ remaining ipc value.
    i will win.

• To show MysticalRommel that he really should consider using Inf, I’m taking on cystic crypt idea. I’ve compiled the combat stats, round per round, for two armies worth of 100 IPC each.

Here it is…

===============================================

Army1: 20 Arm = 100 IPC
    Army2: 20 Inf + 8 Arm = 100 IPC

Army1 attack Army2

R1
    Army1: {20 * 3/6 = 10}
    Army2: {[20 + 8] * 2/6 = 9.33}

R2
    Army1: {11 * 3/6 = 5.5}
    Army2: {[10 + 8] * 2/6 = 6}

R3
    Army1: {5 * 3/6 = 2.5}
    Army2: {[5 + 8] * 2/6 = 4.33}

R4
    Army1: {1 * 3/6 = 0.5}
    Army2: {[2 + 8] * 2/6 = 3.33}

Army2 wins with 2 Inf and 8 Arm left

Army2 attack Army1

R1
    Army1: {20 * 1/6 = 3.33} + {8 * 3/6 = 4}
    Army2: {20 * 2/6 = 6.67}

R2
    Army1: {14 * 1/6 = 2.33} + {8 * 3/6 = 4}
    Army2: {13 * 2/6 = 4.33}

R3
    Army1: {9 * 1/6 = 1.5} + {8 * 3/6 = 4}
    Army2: {7 * 2/6 = 2.33}

R4
    Army1: {7 * 1/6 = 1.17} + {8 * 3/6 = 4}
    Army2: {1 * 2/6 = 0.33}

Army2 wins with 7 Inf and 8 Arm left

As you can see, even the impressive stack of 20 Arm is doing worse on attack than the Inf/Arm combo.

• @MysticalRommel:

Nothing except airforce matches the power of tanks as an offensive weapon

Yes, but nothing matches the power of infantry for cost-effectiveness.

or offense… MR, if you have “cannon fodder” invested in Infantry as well as "big guns you might not be making the “cool” hits you would see with just armor, but you will have plenty of “hard” defense for all counter-attacks… remember that they can hit you back( and probably will) after you do the initial hit…

• Hurkyl, snifff,
    i’m touched.
    That you took me seriously was enough, but to actually do the work for me . . . well,
    Thanks, man.
    (quick guy hug, turns around and orders a beer, then tries to pick up the cute waitress )

• ahwww a hug. Isn’t it sweet…
    erhmmm! Yeah, that waitress… nice “personality” eh ? ;)

You’re welcome CC.

I often write down this kind of battle predictions when I play to see if it’s worth attacking or not. It’s a bit tedious but worth it.
    I should really kick myself to finaly write a program to do it automaticaly.
    The only thing that I’m still not sure is whether I have to cary the decimals from round to round or not.

Is there anyone good at statistics around here who could clear that out ?

• @Hurkyl:

The only thing that I’m still not sure is whether I have to cary the decimals from round to round or not.

Is there anyone good at statistics around here who could clear that out ?

I don’t think so, because each round is a separate set of calculations.

• That’s what I think too.
    On the other hand it would mean that 1 die roll repeated X times has less chances that X dice rolled one time.

An example of calculating each roll separately:

Situation 1 - 2 Ftr defending over 3 rounds of battle.

The Ftr would generate 1 hit (on average) each round (2 * 4/6 = 1.33), totaling in 3 hits for the first 3 rounds.

Situation 2 - 6 Ftr defending over 1 round of battle.

The 6 Ftr would generate 4 hits (on average) during the round (6 * 4/6 = 6)

Of course, this is only valid with average dice rolls.

• I see what you mean. However, when I do my odds calcs, I usually use the first method for the side I plan to be playing with and the second method for the side I’m going against- that way it gives my opponent the better odds and I have a little bad luck factored in.

• It’s very conservative but a good way to keep your loss minimal.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m