How often are the Central Powers winning?

• @Flashman:

RR had to be rewritten as it made no sense; essentially its the same rule, but with various anomalies cleared up.

If it was the intention of the designers or not, America waiting off the French coast with a large invasion fleet before declaring war was historical nonesense.

America was not prepared for war in 1917, so making tham anticipate it to that extent before going to war spoiled the whole idea of a late US intervention.

I agree with you Flashman, which is why I’m for simple fixes/clarifications before we tackle bigger ones.  In the end we may need bigger fixes to make the game balanced, but smaller fixes are preferable.

No reason to think the US couldn’t send some warships on deployment, but having some kind of invasion force is ridiculous. - and the RR rules need re-writing to make more sense; I was trying to follow the thread on the new RR ruling, but got lost in all the conceptual ‘what-ifs.’

• I really like the mechanics of this game my only problem with it is the myriad of small problems that everyone seems to be bringing up. Either the rule book shouldv’e been updated or this game wasn’t properly playtested.  I think Larry came up with some really good ideas on this one and had it been playtested more I wonder if we would be having these conversations?

• @GoSanchez6:

I really like the mechanics of this game my only problem with it is the myriad of small problems that everyone seems to be bringing up. Either the rule book shouldv’e been updated or this game wasn’t properly playtested.  I think Larry came up with some really good ideas on this one and had it been playtested more I wonder if we would be having these conversations?

two things:
    Maybe it has been playtested and we are all too green to realize all possible strategies.
    Or, maybe they wrote the rulebook poorly- and are now trying to ‘put out the fires.’

• I don’t know for sure BJ but I do know that these games are coming out faster than they ever had which leads me to believe they are not playtesting them like they used to.

• @GoSanchez6:

I don’t know for sure BJ but I do know that these games are coming out faster than they ever had which leads me to believe they are not playtesting them like they used to.

Fair enough.  It seems as though the 1940 games and Spring 1942 were made and then after a couple years of playtesting by the general public, they put out 2nd editions.

• '13

if you have issues with america sending troops ready to invade before their at war, why not just give them 80 ipcs when turn 4 hits to spend on units. That way troops cant land till turn 5.

• Under the revisions released by Krieghund (first post on page 14 of the sticky FAQ thread), the US can’t load transports until it is at war.

• It all depends what you intend with the game in various areas.
    1. Balancing
    2. When doing 1. how much are you interested in:
    -> Rule simplicity
    -> Historical Accuracy

In my opinion USA should have 40 IPCs production capacity
    (it already was world’s No1 economy!)
    BUT lbesides haviing the 3rd largest fleet in the world land forces were virtually nonexistent! The 6Inf/2Art are ridiculously exaggerated!

1. USA 40 IPCs (as above)
    2. No production Rounds 1 to 3/as long as not at war.
    Easy fix.

• @xxstefanx:

In my opinion USA should have 40 IPCs production capacity
    (it already was world’s No1 economy!)
    BUT lbesides haviing the 3rd largest fleet in the world land forces were virtually nonexistent! The 6Inf/2Art are ridiculously exaggerated!

1. USA 40 IPCs (as above)
    2. No production Rounds 1 to 3/as long as not at war.
    Easy fix.

America wasn’t the world power in 1914. 20 IPCS for their production at that time is accurate imho as this is their war production - not their capacity to loan money. They became the world power as a result of WWI as they replaced the UK as the world’s principle money lender. WWI broke the British Empire. Also their colonies started to fail. The Austrian-Hungarian Empire was the 2nd largest territory in Europe, and at the time had the 4th largest production of goods in the world, but their armies sucked. The IPCs should always reflect their capacity for war production. The Americans were not known in WWI for their armies which is precisely why the Germans underestimated them in WWII.

No American production during rounds 1-3 ignores the possibility of German unrestricted submarine warfare prior to round 4 which would bring the US into the war earlier. Both times we played the game we left the American fleet in their own sea zone. We must have skimmed over that portion of the rulebook under American Isolationism, but after reading it again I guarantee we’ll still play that way as none of the guys I play with ever try to ‘game’ anything. Nothing in the rulebook that forces the American player to leave their home waters and it’s the correct way to play it imho.

• I do not know where you get your knowledge from, but I extensively researched Industrial Production for creating my WWI game using the university library in Hamburg.

USA was the No1 economy in terms of production already. The outcome of WWI just multiplied the margin. UK was ruined financially and USA hadn’t invested much before the war was over already.

A-H: check!
    1. USA; 2. Germany; 3. UK, 4. France, 5. Russia, 6. A-H (finally), 7. Italy, 8. Ottoman Turkey

As noone in their right mind would ever declare USW due to the ridiculously low damage chance and potential of the subs it does not matter anyway, but you are right: Rules must be consisten!

• @Siris101:

If you attack any of the beige neutrals like Norway, Denmark, Spain, then they get the opposite alliance to mobilize troops.

If you attack Spain with France then you pick which Central Power nation to represent the mobilized troops.

you mobilize x2 the IPC value (all infantry and 1 artillery). So Germany gets 7 infantry and 1 artillery to use against the attackers.

You have been playing wrong, and this may have been why the Central powers were winning so easy.

@Suvorov:

I didn’t see him saying anything like that.  He just said that he assumed that attacking one true neutral didn’t make ALL true neutrals hostile, like in AA1940.  He’s right on that point.  Based on what he’s said about attacking neutrals I infer that he’s having them defend.

Yes that is exactly what I meant. Thank you. We did mobilize x2 IPC value.

@Suvorov:

He has some good points, too.  Battleships are cheaper, and that is a good option for the CPs.  I also see that he took a different approach on attacking neutrals than we did in our games, and maybe that makes sense, too - in most cases the neutral forces will be wiped out so the CPs can pick up extra IPCs fast.  It’s better than trying to get the IPCs for Belgium, for example.

With the cheap neutrals like Holland and Denmark that can’t be reinforced or liberated 4 easy points per turn is worth the 1-turn stall vs. France. With the CP fleets, I was trying to break the mold of WWII where Germany always loses their fleet. In this game they don’t have to. And yeah it seemed early on like the only viable strategy to keep the Allied Fleet that comes later out off the coast of Kiel and out of the North Sea. Same with Austria. Kill the mobility.

@Suvorov:

There is also a very good point about the Russian Revolution.  The US isn’t a powerhouse like in WWII A&A games.  Knocking out Russia will probably leave the CPs in a much better position, IPC-wise, than the Allies.  Germany is likely to have an additional 15 IPCs or so, Austria might be up by 6, and the Ottomans could be up by 5 or so.  In that sort of situation, the CPs are in a good position to first shore up their line with lots of infantry and then start spending on other things.

That’s the plan. Whether it works on a regular basis is a whole different story. :wink: The game’s been fun so far and I’m playing my first 6-man game in about 2 hours.

• @xxstefanx:

I do not know where you get your knowledge from, but I extensively researched Industrial Production for creating my WWI game using the university library in Hamburg.

I bet you did. I’m not talking about industrial output for civilian goods but America’s capacity to make war at the time, which is where I find the 20 IPCs for them in this game fair.

@xxstefanx:

USA was the No1 economy in terms of production already. The outcome of WWI just multiplied the margin. UK was ruined financially and USA hadn’t invested much before the war was over already.

Not arguing that the US had recently taken the lead for lending over the UK. Like I said the colonies eventually became unprofitable. I completely agree that WWI only exasperated this shift in power. Nor I’m I arguing production levels at the time, but what they were producing at the time of that war.

@xxstefanx:

As noone in their right mind would ever declare USW due to the ridiculously low damage chance and potential of the subs it does not matter anyway, but you are right: Rules must be consisten!

I completely agree.

• @BJCard:

@GoSanchez6:

I don’t know for sure BJ but I do know that these games are coming out faster than they ever had which leads me to believe they are not playtesting them like they used to.

Fair enough.  It seems as though the 1940 games and Spring 1942 were made and then after a couple years of playtesting by the general public, they put out 2nd editions.

Unfortunately BJcard I think this is what we are going to see from now on out with these games. Get it out there,have the community play it,Maybe come out with a Alpha edition and then make a second edition and make even more money on it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m