• I and my friends were debating on the following subject :

ie. The US has killed all of the Japs fleet in Japan. After the combat, all remaining US units are still on the Japan.
    Next turn, Japan decide to build a new fleet (1 Sub, 1 Transport, 1 BattleShip…) , and their only IC is in Japan…

What does happend???

Do the Jap fleet (at the end of Japan, when he places units) enter in a combat with the US fleet ? and if so, who is the attacker ??

Thanx to everybody who will clear this point!

• Depends on what rules you play by.

2nd-Edition rules were “Naval Occupation”. That is, an IC could not produce naval units if the sdjacent SZ(s) were enemy-occupied. You could build them on Purchase Units Phase, but unless the waters were cleared of enemy units, the naval units could not be placed & were lost!

3rd-Edition rules are “No Naval Occupation”. In this case, newly purchased naval units can be placed in enemy-occupied SZs. Unless the enemy moves out or is destroyed before his or her Combat Phase, a battle occurs between your naval units & theirs…

Which brings us to a conundrum I haven’t yet solved. Say you place new naval units onto an enemy-occupied SZ. Now what if on your ally’s turn, he or she attacks the enemy units in said SZ? Are your units allowed to join the fight as an “allied force”, or are your units considered to be “not involved”? I’ve always wondered about this…

Ozone27

• P. 19 2nd edition rules:
    “When units of the same alliance are in the same territory or sea zone, a Multi-Player Force is said to be present. Such forces can defend together–they CANNOT attack together.
    Attacking separately–when units of the same alliance in the same space wish to attack, each attacker fires his or her own units and does so no his or her own turn.”
    I don’t know 3rd edition rules and as you stated 2nd edition allows “naval occupation”. But unless the above rule is change in 3rd edition, it should apply to your situation.
    @Ozone27:

Which brings us to a conundrum I haven’t yet solved. Say you place new naval units onto an enemy-occupied SZ. Now what if on your ally’s turn, he or she attacks the enemy units in said SZ? Are your units allowed to join the fight as an “allied force”, or are your units considered to be “not involved”? I’ve always wondered about this…

• As Ned Flanders would say, this one’s a “noodle-scratcher”…

Right on about normal attacking rules, but this is a wierd situation and while in game terms it is perfectly logical, to me it defies common sense that units in the exact same sea zone as the enemy in the middle of a battle do not even appear on the Battle Board. I mean, what are those ships doing? Are they putting the finishing touches on them before the start of their country’s turn? Why are they just sitting there oblivious while a full-scale battle erupts all around them. Couldn’t one crew man just one naval gun to help its allies? Seems pretty shady to me, which is why I fought against “No Naval Occupation” in our games until I could fight it no more…

Ozone27

• Yeah, that one’s wierd too. But that does sort of clear up the “common sense” objection. Of course, in game terms, it makes perfect sense–if your newly-launched units could attack on your enemy’s turn, they would essentially get an extra attack in a given round (since they could attack again on their own turn).

Maybe one could make a rule whereby in this situation, the new naval units CAN join the ally’s attack on their own SZ, but only by foregoing Combat Movement & Combat on their own turn. They are essentially stuck there after the battle and would still be limited to the usual 1 attack per turn…I dunno…might open the door for a whole bunch of claims to “inter-allied attacks” that would doom game balance (such as it is :wink: ). I guess its best the way you describe…

Thanks for the clear-up SUD…

Ozone27

• It’s a simple game :roll: made from a complex war.
    The game has gone through it’s own evolution to be a GREAT GAME!
    Try it your way a few times if you want.

But, it would benefit the Allies at UK sz and other places after that.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m