• Deadline is 1 January

As for the kinds of tips I prefer precise personnal tips rather then common wisdom or general tips.

Most good players rarely buy bunch of tanks these days. So a good tips would be when to buy tanks. When an IC is a good moves with Japan and why ?

Ben

• But those questions have answers everyone already knows…
    When do you buy tanks? Only if you’ve basically already won and want some tanks.
    When do you buy an IC for Japan? Only if you already have most of mainland Asia/Russia and nothing can stop you.

• then what’s the point of asking? :-?

• If you build only infantry for Russia, you will definite lose to Japan.
    T-34’s are essential to push Japan back a little bit AT THE RIGHT tIME
    These “guerilla” couterattack always buy one or two turns of time which is crucial for allies victory

• If you build only infantry for Russia, you will definite lose to Japan.
    T-34’s are essential to push Japan back a little bit AT THE RIGHT tIME
    These “guerilla” couterattack always buy one or two turns of time which is crucial for allies victory

Not really. Just use British/American troops to defend the Eastern front, once they can be there in force. They should have enough bombers/fighters to mount an offense. Russia can manage with 5 tanks, placed in moscow, easily.

• With Russia never buy tanks till Japan got u in its crosshairs :(

• :x Oy!! you that posted the comment that Russia shouldn’t buy any tanks till Japan has them in their crosshairs (on Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:43 pm) are completely wrong if you don’t play the rule that Russia can’t attack first go you need at least to purchas 6 tanks for overwhelming the Russian frontlines :x . :D By the way I posted a new topic called modifications you may really want to take a look at three new rules if you like them then incorporate them into your game.

• 1. Win the game…this is the best way to assure victory!
    2. Dont’s lose…(see #1 above)
    3. Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!If you can, steal a few IPC’s while no one is looking. (I usually tell myopponents that there is a monkey outside the window…they all run to the window to look and I pilfer a few extra IPC’s.)
    4. Try to threaten and intimidate other players into not playing well, a few well-timed punches have saved me many times over the years.
    5. Talk trash to the other players about their mothers, sisters, wives or girlfriends. This is a terrible distraction and you may even get them to swing at you thus disqualifying them.
    6. If you start to lose the game then flip the board over and dump your drink on the nearest player (even an ally) then storm out of the house and never return.

• When playing Japan I find it best to only use the sub for the american navy in Hawaii, the using the rest to aid in the land attacks on India , and Russian areas. Also I believe it is key to disable the us in the asia area. Once control is taken over most of russia I always buy a complex and place it in the soviet far east to start a preemptive in the US while also taking a stab at the russian capital. Hopefully this wil help someone.

Apollo21

• I dunno if I’m a top player. I’ve been playing for about ten years. I used to work for Hasbro and knew the guy that invented the game, but I’ve learned more from playing than from him.

I still lose sometimes.

Tips?

A good player really caught me off guard by having the U.K. drop an aircraft carrier on their first turn, then having the U.S. fly it’s lone fighter onto the U.K. carrier on it’s first turn. Along with what was left of the Allied navy after Germany’s aircraft blitz, it turned the tables and the allies were able to help Russia defend Karelia, boxing me in.

Obviously, the U.K. needs to drop an IC in south Africa ASAP. A couple of tanks coming up from there every turn secures africa most every time once Germany’s transport is gone. Eventually those tanks start flowing into asia and…

I never attack the U.S. fleet with Japan unless the axis has the game sewed up. If they try island hopping I hit them with aircraft and maybe subs. Best for Japan to bring the navy home from the start and drop transports. That way, you’ve got units moving into asia and if needed, you can suddenly attack Alaska to divert U.S. attention from whatever if they’re causing problems anywhere.

I also like to have the U.S. concentrate on buying bombers and rolling for heavy bomber technology. If you get that, you can fly strategic bombing out of the U.K. and wipe out all of Germany’s IPCs eventually. I learned that the hard way from a good opponant too.

• If 99% of the strategies you find on the Internet make you laugh, congratulations, you are a top player.

• @Anonymous:

If 99% of the strategies you find on the Internet make you laugh, congratulations, you are a top player.

except maybe for Don’s essays . . . .

• I use a simular strategy for UK to defeat germany, a british carrier on T1. the german’s air force is slowly and methodically chewed up by the Uk navy (who cares how much it costs, if those fighters can’t help in the east germany is defeated in T4 or T5 every time). interestingly enough though this strategy doesn’t work in the Iron Blitz comp. game. instead of defending, my US fighter bails for canada. and also why is it that I can isolate japan to it’s home Island in T5 but can’t conquer it until T12??? the Iron blitz su-=-!

• why can’t you take it until turn 12? does japan just keep building all infantry? if this happens (assuming germany is already dead) then build IC’s in manchuria, kwantung and frenchindochina and build 3 bombers there per turn and just strategic bomb em so they can’t build any units. then you just build up an invasion force and take em out

• that’s exactly what i did, but by the time my forces were assembled, I had to feed them peice meal against like 30 infantry divisions. it took like 5 turns to wear them down. makes you really appreciate the old ‘a’ bomb.

• the thing is, if i get to that point in a pc game playing against the computer, i just quit and start a new one. it’s stupid to play the last 20-30 min just building up and attacking the computer in japan

• yeah it would seem so but it was my first time playing the Iron blitz and I wanted to see if i would get some medal or ranking or scoring - something to justify the torment, but nooooo, just some lousy newspaper clip with some jargon that I can’t decypher.

• :lol: the newspaper. the first time i beat the game (5 min after i got it) i was expecting something good too, but instaead i got some crappy newspaper that informed me that i had just won the game, and to my suprise, i unlocked another crappy scenario which is incredibly easy to beat (it makes it sound tough; just britain and russia vs germany and japan, but the AI still stinks and britain gets like 50 IPC’s and russia starts off w/ like 5 fighters and twice as much infantry and they own all of europe except for eastern europe and germany, and england owns western europe) i have no idea why hasbro interactive (i think they made the game) didn’t make the AI any better, or why they didn’t add some cool stuff, like some scenarios that will actually take me more than 3 turns to win.

• The original A&A for PC was so buggy and easy to beat I havn’t bothered with Iron blitz. I started playing SSI’s Panzer commander and Steel panthers instead but I pretty much mastered them so I’m back to A&A for awhile.

When I play the A&A PC version, I usually just let the other side have their way for a few turns until I’m in a fix and it looks one sided. That makes it more interesting.

• The first time I played each side the game was effectively over by T2. I had axis victory in T4. Even with the patch the AI is still really stupid. It doesn’t understand how to defend units or how to attack an enemies weak point. If there is no one else to play, I end up just playing myself.

Despite all that there were so many other problems with the game. So many places the game forces you to click or make a choice when there is no option. For example, if the enemy has rolled 5 hits and you only have 3 units, it still makes you choose which ones you want to die. Moving ships in groups is also a pain in the butt.

I’ve also found that the game freezes when you attack the British battleship in the med and then try and land a unit on Gibralter with the troop transport.

Does anyone know if people have taken the time to hack into the code for the game and fix some of these bugs or improve the AI? That would be great. Or if anyone has modded the game to implement the AA Chess rules, I’ve always wanted to try that too.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m