• yes there is it is needed to complete the global hiway/trainway

• I doubt there are any commuters who would benefit from a Gibralter bridge. All mercantile shipping is already done by boat. Anyone who wants to cross the over to Morocco just uses a ferry.

Waste of money.

• when africa gets more developed

• Until then the building of the bridge will cause huge debts, and will provide little or no service to anyone.

Money is better spent on that developement.

• I agree with Yanny, most commerce should be handled by ships. They carry more load and are less expensive…

• hmmmm. this is turning into a to build a tunnal/bridge or to leave it alone

• Because it’s a nonissue. Building a Gibralter bridge would do more harm than good.

• What kind of thread is this? Why is it two pages long?

• what? this forum isnt 2 pages long?

• This thread is really stupid…

Morocco and Spain are way too poor to try any big construction project, and they would need Americans or Japanese to build it, anyway…

• Hmmm, i wonder how Portugal managed to build the (AFAIR) longest suspension bridge of the world……

• Lisbon - something like 18 km long - longest in Europe (or second AFAIR). Many Portuguese labourers died building it. Since 1974 Portugal has had one of the fastest growing economies in Europe (given its low level pre-'74 levels, that’s not really saying very much) - but there is tons of money there now, and it is in many ways more “civilized” a country than Spain.

• @cystic:

Lisbon - something like 18 km long - longest in Europe (or second AFAIR). Many Portuguese labourers died building it.

Sure many died?
    AFAIR it was built for the world exhibition, not that long ago… about ten years or so, i am sure they were in the EU at that time.
    So, i can’t imagine that many died, except for maybe some tragic accident which could have happened anywhere…

• @F_alk:

@cystic:

Lisbon - something like 18 km long - longest in Europe (or second AFAIR). Many Portuguese labourers died building it.

Sure many died?
    AFAIR it was built for the world exhibition, not that long ago… about ten years or so, i am sure they were in the EU at that time.
    So, i can’t imagine that many died, except for maybe some tragic accident which could have happened anywhere…

yeah, it was a tragic accident. I remember watching The Mothman Prophecies in Oporto with my girlfriend and she was mentioning the bridge scene and how important something like that was to the psyche of the Portuguese people particularly given that accident. Can’t remember the specifics, but it sounded ummm . . . not good.

• @cystic:

yeah, it was a tragic accident. I remember watching The Mothman Prophecies in Oporto with my girlfriend and she was mentioning the bridge scene and how important something like that was to the psyche of the Portuguese people particularly given that accident. Can’t remember the specifics, but it sounded ummm . . . not good.

Hmmm… i have never seen the Mothman Prophecies…
    anyway, i can’t remember that nothing happened, so i believe you :)…

• Sorry F_alk, i think i was mistaken. I mixed up an accident in the North on the bridge spanning the Douro river where 50 people died when a double decker bus fell off (as well as a couple of cars) with the bridge in Lisbon (The 10-mile (16km) Ponte Vasco da Gama, which opened in 1998, is the longest suspension bridge in Europe.)
    By the way - i have been on that bridge. It is VERY impressive. The Tagus river is simply massive - it must be a huge pain administering a city that is that “divided” . . . .
    Anyway, sorry to contribute more to this “thread” - just thought i should correct my mistakes.

• @cystic:

Anyway, sorry to contribute more to this “thread” - just thought i should correct my mistakes.

I just love it when i am right :) :) :lol: ;)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m